FR - Web Client & All Apps - Lyrics for Music

thefirstofthe300

24 minutes ago, JuJuJurassic said:

I run emby on ubuntu, but with  If I added a smb share, can I cofirm there's no reason this wouldn't work with a windows box running foobar with the plugins, to add the LRC files to the smb share and hence the library.

One question I've already run lyrics finder, and generated the .txt files, will Ihave to delete these?

any guidace would be apprechiated, thanks 🙂

From my experience it doesn't matter where your media library is, so long as you use Foobar and reference the source files you can download the lyrics for them to be available in Emby.

I did the same as you first time around and removed the plain text lyric (txt) files and replaced them with the lrc files.

• 2 weeks later...
FordGT90Concept

I take it this lyrics still aren't implemented yet?  I used MP3tag to add UNSYNCEDLYRICS field which implements the ID3 2.3.0 USLT frame.  I tried playing the songs after they've been modified to contain this data and I don't see Emby showing any lyrics.

I tried Emby Theater Windows app and Edge browser.  I also tried putting the lyrics in a .txt file as the same name as the .flac and they aren't showing.

Untitled.png

Ah, gotta click lyrics to show them...

Untitled.png.d58e26fe1f49414271b9e4951d983e2d.png

I see a bug though: it's not filtering/consuming the "eng||" which should be according to the ID3 standard:
Untitled.png.b51141d56d47431b741eca3c3e917c8d.png

I also don't like how, when dealing with unsynchronized, it doesn't preserve the original formatting (helps see where verses, chorus, and bridges are).

Yeah...this is terrible for this music (The Lost Birds by Christopher Tin).  Men sometimes are singing the chorus under the women which are singing a verse.  When it's properly displayed, it's easy to understand what's going on but without the proper formatting, the lyrics really aren't helpful at all because I keep getting lost.

The way it is now is fine for sync'ed; if it is unsync'd, just display the original text.

I took the time to make a custom .lrc for one of the tracks and confirmed it is working on Windows via Emby.  I then went to the Xbox One S to try to see the Lyrics and they don't show despite turning the button on and off for lyrics.  It takes about 10 seconds to load after enabling lyrics on Xbox One S. I think this stems from the bigger problem, for example, where I can no longer see favorited songs in the playlist on Xbox One S.  It's like there's not enough room on the right anymore so both lyrics and favorite status are omitted.

Emby Theater on PC also has severe timing problems:
[02:05] By separation’s sorcery
[02:21] Made cruelly more dear. 
The start time for the first one is correct but it seems to ignore the second one.  The singers are repeating "By separation's sorcery..by separation...by separation's sorcery" in that gap but after like 10 seconds, it jumps to the next one anyway which makes the alignment all wrong until about five lines below it.

This issue does not present on Emby via Edge.

The issue does reproduce on Xbox One S.  All I did was start the song, waited for the lyrics to pop up, jumped down the list, then back up to the top and the audio and lyrics desynced by many seconds.

Xbox One S not only struggles to load lyrics (takes >5 seconds), it also fails to handle them in a playlist with lyrics working fine in the first track playing but then stops showing on the second track with lyrics (the space for the lyrics is just blank).

Found another Xbox One S presentation bug:
Untitled.png.61b8fa00298e5cb55b7cfaf246174810.png

That list of artists does not wrap in Emby Theater (well it does, but not aggressively enough.  It's so long, it pushes the lyrics all the way off the screen.

Edited by FordGT90Concept
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, FordGT90Concept said:

It seems Android support isn't present yet?  Or am I just missing it?

Hi, what version of the android app are you testing with?

FordGT90Concept

That's way too convoluted for me to pull off (have to pair it to a computer or a phone then use other apps to install it).  It's running 2.0.80g of tv.emby.embyatv

FrostByte
3 hours ago, FordGT90Concept said:

That's way too convoluted for me to pull off (have to pair it to a computer or a phone then use other apps to install it).  It's running 2.0.80g of tv.emby.embyatv

I wrote a guide if you wish to try.  Once set up it's fairly easy.

Otherwise, you may need to wait until the standard app gets to the store.

FordGT90Concept

I'll wait.  So I take it Android Mobile has lyric support but Android TV does not?  Coming soon to TV, I hope?

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, FordGT90Concept said:

I'll wait.  So I take it Android Mobile has lyric support but Android TV does not?  Coming soon to TV, I hope?

I don't use lyrics, but others do.

Right now, I believe they are concentrating on getting the standard app ready for the store.  Hopefully that will happen soon.

FrostByte

Just tried it for the first time with the standard Android app on my Shield.  So yes, it's there.  Using synced lyrics.

image.png.7af4f63fb1fb160dba78c0712df754b1.png

FordGT90Concept

I don't see how to enable it (Shield 2017):

20221006_151147.thumb.jpg.4a59ad7735110136dc0c5c5054a2d352.jpg

Yes, that file has an accompanying .lrc file and lyrics work on PC.

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, FordGT90Concept said:

I don't see how to enable it (Shield 2017):

20221006_151147.thumb.jpg.4a59ad7735110136dc0c5c5054a2d352.jpg

Yes, that file has an accompanying .lrc file and lyrics work on PC.

I believe they are concentrating most of their efforts on the standard Android app right now in order to get it into the store.

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, FordGT90Concept said:

I see a bug though: it's not filtering/consuming the "eng||" which should be according to the ID3 standard:

Untitled.png.b51141d56d47431b741eca3c3e917c8d.png

I also don't like how, when dealing with unsynchronized, it doesn't preserve the original formatting (helps see where verses, chorus, and bridges are).

Yeah...this is terrible for this music (The Lost Birds by Christopher Tin).  Men sometimes are singing the chorus under the women which are singing a verse.  When it's properly displayed, it's easy to understand what's going on but without the proper formatting, the lyrics really aren't helpful at all because I keep getting lost.

The way it is now is fine for sync'ed; if it is unsync'd, just display the original text.

Agreed, the original text should just be displayed instead of a list of each individual line, which, in and of itself is also not a great reading experience due to odd styling choices (e.g. text color thats fails WebAIM's Contrast Checker).
Im only using unsynced as its the easiest to fit into a workflow and i dont really care for synced.
Atleast with the web view i can adjust the css, but not being able to adjust the android apps style is a pain.

For reference these are the overrides which make it more palatable for me:

.lyricsScroller {
  -webkit-mask-image: none !important;
}

.lyricsItem {
  margin: 0px !important;
}

.listItemBodyText-secondary, .secondaryText, .fieldDescription, .cardText-secondary {
  color: inherit !important;
}

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
MindBullet

Hey there guys,

+1 for this and awesome that there has been a lot of progress.

However, are there any plans to implement some lyrics database for people who do not have embedded lyrics in their songs?

Something like musixmatch or similar? 

This would be huge!

• Thanks 1

Hi.  I don't think we'll have any plans to try and store or distribute these as lyrics are typically copyrighted material.

MindBullet

Hey ebr, I wasn't talking about storing or distributing them. Just as a Plugin, like other music platforms do. For instance Spotify or similar, who use musixmatch as a plugin for lyrics