Remote control no longer working

Heuer

Heuer

I am using Emby for Android Mobile on my Mbox m201 and having just updated to the latest (35Mb) version the infra red remote no longer works. I can use the 'back' key but the up/down key scrolls the screen and there is no other navigation other than using a mouse. I also have Emby for Android TV on the box and the remote works perfectly. Any reason for the change? Mbox is running Android 4.2.

Edited by Heuer

what app are you trying to control? i have done quite a bit of testing with no problem found.

Heuer

I am using the Android Mobile app. The Mbox connects to the TV and is controlled via a remote for navigation. Worked happily on the previous version although I did not uninstall it before updating to this one.

Heuer

Well I tried clearing the app data/cache, uninstalling Emby for Android, reinstalling to no avail. I can't even use the infra-red remote to 'click' on the green <Next> prompt to begin connecting. Remote Bluetooth keyboard/mouse works but not the hand held remote. Remote works on all other apps including Android, Emby for Android TV, Kodi etc etc. Family now very irate!

How can I go back to the previous version which worked perfectly?

Heuer

Managed to sort this problem by finding a Mediabrowser V2.1.31 apk on the web and sideloading it. Full remote control is back! If anyone has an Emby V2.3.1 apk or at least a V2.3.x apk (prior to V2.3.13) that still has the remote control functionality please let me have a download link. I would have thought there would be a community version library on here to allow users to easily step back a version - am I missing something? 

thefirstofthe300

So I am not sure why you need the mobile app when you say you have the Android TV app on it. If this is just a set-top box, why do you need the mobile app?

Heuer

1. More functionality

2. Seamless user transition from phone to Mbox

3. It worked up until the last release and we are all used to it

4. Why not? I guess it does not cost the developers anything to leave it in and gives the user more choice? 

So I assume the total lack of response to this issue means you have decided to remove the remote function? If so can you please let me have a link to the last apk that allowed it to work. These Android Mboxes cost about £75 each so are ideal clients for anyone who does not have a Smart TV. They all come pre-loaded with XBMC/Kodi which I guess is where we will end up if support is being withdrawn. 

Actually I just found the Mediabrowser V2.1.38 apk. I have to say it works superbly and is probably where will will stay until there is a fix.

Heuer

Just loaded the latest version (2.3.36) and still no i/r remote control functionality. I can't continue to recommend Emby to the (very large) Android TV box community without it. Also can anyone explain why the TV/Mobile apps are different because surely all Android devices could run the 'mobile' version which makes the 'TV' version pretty pointless. Wouldn't it be simpler for users and support just to have one? Heck, even the Play store choice makes life difficult for newcomers:

emby.jpg

Anyway back to Mediabrowser 2.1.38 ................

we can suffix the mobile app with Mobile to make that easier. but they are large and complex applications and growing with each release. it makes more sense for us to separate them.

Heuer

These are the boxes I use - "MINIX NEO X8-H Plus Amlogic S812-H Quad Core, Android 4.4 Mini TV Box, HDMI, 2G/16G, 4K, 802.11AC 2.4G/5.0G WIFI, 1000M LAN, BT, XBMC KODI" all for £100:

minix.jpg

Connect one to any TV in the house and you immediately have access to all your media. No mucking about with RF cables and pretty much plug 'n play. No matter which of the many makes you buy they all come with Kodi pre-installed - the trick would be to get the vendors to pre-install Emby as well!

Note to 'Emby for Android' developers - that thing on the right is called a remote control and is incredibly useful.   :)

Vidman

The emby for android TV works on this device, I have one too, why would you not just use the app developed for this type of device?

My ouya on the other hand is only compatible with the mobile app and is almost unusable now with the new html5 app not being controller friendly

Heuer

I have both apps running but the Mobile app gets most use. Family can move from their Smartphone/tablets to the TV with the exact same layout and set of features. What disappoints me is the functionality was there and has recently been removed (although someone forgot to disable the remote up/down scroll) apparently because the developers want to force users down a particular route. Obviously Apple employees at some point!  :P

Your issue with the Ouya is a case in point - crippling third party devices is not in the spirit of Android nor a way of increasing the user base. Let the customer decide what best meets their needs.

well as much as we would love for every app to do everything, it's just not a great use of our time to have the mobile app do TV and the TV app do mobile. We actually ripped out the TV layouts from the mobile app a couple months ago when the Fire TV and Android TV apps were released. But as far as controlling devices, yes, the mobile app can and should do as much of that as possible.

• 1 year later...

Hi, we've pushed changes to our Chromecast receiver to enable HDMI-CEC control. Please try it out. Thanks !