Feature Request: EmbyTV in Kodi

reluctantflux

EmbyTV PVR for Kodi Poll  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use an EmbyTV PVR add-on for Kodi?

• Yes!
    • No! I already have a different PVR backend that works just fine.
    • No, I'm not interested in Live TV features.

reluctantflux

First off, good point about Silicondust releasing their DVR software.  It's not in beta yet, though, so I don't know how well integrated it will be (Should be out within the 4 days if they want to keep their word).  Hopefully their Kodi plugin from their stretch goal doesn't take till next year to get implemented.

As others have mentioned, with mature PVR clients out there, it doesn't make sense to add another break point in the live tv chain. I.E. TVheadend->EmbyTV-> Kodi, when you can just go TVheadened-> Kodi and then also TVheadend->Emby, and your recordings and tuners are still synced across devices.  

So this plugin would be exclusively for the EmbyTV plugin, that currently interfaces with DLNA tuners (HDHomeruns).  The idea is to not have to have a Tuner->DVR Backend->Emby setup, and have a direct Tuner-> Emby setup.  

When I came up with this poll, I wanted to get rid of an extra Windows machine that I'm using as my ServerWMC backend, as it is a virtual machine running on my unraid system.  I wanted to free up the resources of the full blown Windows OS to be used for other services I'm running on the box.  I think I'll start tinkering with Kodi Add-ons, as I am interested in learning some coding.  If Silicondust fails to deliver, or I don't like their implementation, I may look at building the Emby add-on, but considering I'm one guy that only did some Perl and C++ coding in classes 13 years ago, and they have a full fledged team making DVR software that works with hardware they built, I'm guessing their product will be much better than what I could build.

Considering they're offering a linux version, someone should be able to put it in a docker container!  

Deihmos

You can always run windows in a VM on another Os. I prefer to get guide data from wmc rather than paying for it. I just installed ServerWMC yesterday and it works well. I also added stalker IPTV and everything is working to my satisfaction. I barely ever look at TV but was getting tired of jumping back and forth from WMC.

Edited by Deihmos

reluctantflux

I could, but then that'd be another physical machine being on, increasing power usage, along with having to support the physical hardware.  I'm not low on resources on my current box, just trying to optimize.

$25 /year isn't too bad, and I don't know how much longer MS will support the guide.  I'd rather get on the new service and help shape it how I want it to be.

• 1 month later...
daniellog

I really could do with a pvr addon for emby on kodi to transcode mediaportal streams, it would be great for my family to be able to use my TV server. 

kmarq13

I really could do with a pvr addon for emby on kodi to transcode mediaportal streams, it would be great for my family to be able to use my TV server. 

This would be to create a Kodi addon for the EmbyTV server. It would not pass through your mediaportal streams. 

daniellog

This would be to create a Kodi addon for the EmbyTV server. It would not pass through your mediaportal streams. 

But if you can get EmbyTV or Mediaportal working with just emby. Why can't a pvr addon be created for kodi that just accesses emby live tv regardless of what pvr addon is enabled in emby? Surely that would be better?

• Like 1

im85288

I'm sure an addon could be created, the question is why would anyone want to create a Kodi pvr addon for Emby? The Kodi world lives happily without using Emby and therefore the developers will not see adding another component to the mix as an advantage. In addition as far as I am aware EmbyTV transcodes all live tv streams which when serving multiple clients can add extra stress on the server along with possibly degrading the quality. 

daniellog

The main reason I would want this feature it allow friends and family to access my TV server. At the moment there is no way of doing it with kodi remotely. I also really like kodi and the emby addon, it would be nice to have it since it works on my emby server anyway. 

In addition as far as I am aware EmbyTV transcodes all live tv streams which when serving multiple clients can add extra stress on the server along with possibly degrading the quality. 

Again - that is only due to the capabilities of the devices/players in use at this time.  Since Kodi would be the player, it would have no problem direct playing straight from the tuner.

Transcoding is not a barrier here.

I'm sure an addon could be created, the question is why would anyone want to create a Kodi pvr addon for Emby? The Kodi world lives happily without using Emby and therefore the developers will not see adding another component to the mix as an advantage.

The Kodi world was living quite happily before you guys built an awesome add-on to make Emby the back end for it.  Now a lot of folks are even happier :).  Why wouldn't the Live TV side be exactly the same?  People with established Kodi Live TV setups may or may not want to use it but for an Emby'er it would make it much more integrated and seamless for all of their media (including Live TV) to be via Emby.

daniellog

As far as I can see, all the really hard work has been done with the PVR addons for emby which are great. Surely allowing kodi to access guide data and tv streams could be doable? 

any thoughts of passing the DLNA stream directly like the server.wmc does and just appending the guide data? 

https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d46cfc8ba25.googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoWvfTk8tRWJXYko1T2c/documentation/change%20log%20-%20Server.html

Build 1171, assembly version 1.0.0.49

-          Supports dlna live-tv streams by default for dlna capable HDHomerun tuners (MBS only)

im85288

Again - that is only due to the capabilities of the devices/players in use at this time.  Since Kodi would be the player, it would have no problem direct playing straight from the tuner.

Transcoding is not a barrier here.

The Kodi world was living quite happily before you guys built an awesome add-on to make Emby the back end for it.  Now a lot of folks are even happier :).  Why wouldn't the Live TV side be exactly the same?  People with established Kodi Live TV setups may or may not want to use it but for an Emby'er it would make it much more integrated and seamless for all of their media (including Live TV) to be via Emby.

I can understand from an outside perspective that it would seem "All" we need to do is sync the live tv data from Emby to the Kodi DB similar to how we do it with Movies/TV Shows and Music...the reality though is totally different. I am by no means the expert in that area but what I do know is the PVR side of Kodi is structured completely differently from the other areas. I do agree it would/could be a nice to have but i's certainly not something we could just bolt onto our Emby addon. 

daniellog

Surely though we would want emby to transcode the streams so they can be viewed remotely? If I just use a VPN and try and play a stream from my tv server, it keeps buffering. If I use the emby web client it works fine.

I can understand from an outside perspective that it would seem "All" we need to do is sync the live tv data from Emby to the Kodi DB similar to how we do it with Movies/TV Shows and Music...the reality though is totally different. I am by no means the expert in that area but what I do know is the PVR side of Kodi is structured completely differently from the other areas. I do agree it would/could be a nice to have but i's certainly not something we could just bolt onto our Emby addon. 

I understand.  I have no idea what the level of effort is and that has to be taken into account obviously.  I simply wanted to be sure everyone properly understood the merits and limitations (or lack thereof).

I believe this would be a very good addition to the Kodi/Emby family but I have no idea what the cost would be so I'm not saying it needs to or even should be done.  I'm just saying it would be a good thing if it were.

• Like 1

Surely though we would want emby to transcode the streams so they can be viewed remotely? If I just use a VPN and try and play a stream from my tv server, it keeps buffering. If I use the emby web client it works fine.

The client has to be intelligent enough to know if it is local or remote to the server and make the decision on how to play it back based on that.