Raspberry Pi 2 with emby

SPL150JB

SPL150JB

SO, I just received a raspberry pi 2. I am looking to use my EMBY media server with it, if at all possible. Currently I have OSMC and raspbian installed. I tried to install the Kodi app from emby with no success. Also tried installing the "media browser" from inside OSMC.  I am going to assume emby is not supported through osmc and I will have to install Kodi/xbmc in order to be able to use emby. 

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JB

scalda

SO, I just received a raspberry pi 2. I am looking to use my EMBY media server with it, if at all possible. Currently I have OSMC and raspbian installed. I tried to install the Kodi app from emby with no success. Also tried installing the "media browser" from inside OSMC. I am going to assume emby is not supported through osmc and I will have to install Kodi/xbmc in order to be able to use emby.

JB

@@SPL150JB

Are you Trying to put both kodi and the emby server on the same pi2?

I have 1 Rpi2 and 3 Rpi1 all model B's running osmc and the kodi for emby addon which ties into my emby server on my windows machine.

I don't think there is enough dependencies on osmc to be able to run the emby server on it aswell, as osmc is very custom, and made to really be used just for a media center experiences.

If i can help i any other way please let me know

Edited by scalda
  • Like 1

CBers

SO, I just received a raspberry pi 2. I am looking to use my EMBY media server with it, if at all possible. Currently I have OSMC and raspbian installed. I tried to install the Kodi app from emby with no success. Also tried installing the "media browser" from inside OSMC. I am going to assume emby is not supported through osmc and I will have to install Kodi/xbmc in order to be able to use emby.

JB

The Kodi for Emby addon works just fine on the Pi and Pi2. I'm sure @@scalda will chime in soon enough, as he has 4 PIs running OSMC and the addon.

Edited by CBers

SPL150JB

I just assumed it would not work with OSMC since emby did not have a OSMC app on their website. I have EMBY media server on my HTPC and I am looking to use the raspberry pi 2 as just a client or media center. 

This is my first raspberry pi and I am still getting used to it. To play around a bit last night I went ahead and removed everything and installed Openelec. Now where I am getting stuck is trying to install the addon of emby (http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/). When I use my laptop to put the repository onto the SD, then stick it back into the pi, and attempt to pull up install from zip in kodi, it is unable to find the repository. I know I'm just missing something. Also IF i can get this to work, I would also like to go backwards and reinstall OSMC with emby addon to see which media center I like better. 

-JB

Edited by SPL150JB

scalda

I just assumed it would not work with OSMC since emby did not have a OSMC app on their website. I have EMBY media server on my HTPC and I am looking to use the raspberry pi 2 as just a client or media center.

This is my first raspberry pi and I am still getting used to it. To play around a bit last night I went ahead and removed everything and installed Openelec. Now where I am getting stuck is trying to install the addon of emby (http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/). When I use my laptop to put the repository onto the SD, then stick it back into the pi, and attempt to pull up install from zip in kodi, it is unable to find the repository. I know I'm just missing something. Also IF i can get this to work, I would also like to go backwards and reinstall OSMC with emby addon to see which media center I like better.

-JB

You won't be able to just dump the repo zip onto these card. Go back and reinstall osmc then got to the osmc settings program and store and install the samba client let that install restart you pi then on your windows machine you can access the network share from the pi username is osmc same for password. Then put the repo file in the osmc folder that shows up then go back to osmc and navigate to addons and select install from zip and select the home folder and select the repo zip and that will install. Then go back to addons and select get addons, emby repo, video addons and select and install emby, let that install then restart your Pi. Once restarted you should be promoted with the Emby dialog to select your server and start the sync.

Anything else please ask

• Like 1

SPL150JB

Thank you Scalda!  any everyone for your replies. I will have to try that tonight and hopefully be able to see how I like OSMC with Emby tonight. I will update when completed...

-JB

• 5 weeks later...
tysimons

I'm currently running Raspberry Pi with OSMC and the Kody for Emby addon, but finding performance to be poor.  Is it worth moving to the Raspberry Pi 2?

CBers

I'm currently running Raspberry Pi with OSMC and the Kody for Emby addon, but finding performance to be poor.  Is it worth moving to the Raspberry Pi 2?

Strange, as I know @@scalda runs the same on his RPi's and RPi2 without issue.

What performance issues are you having ??

tysimons

Strange, as I know @@scalda runs the same on his RPi's and RPi2 without issue.

What performance issues are you having ??

Play back is fine, just over all navigation is slower then I (my wife) would like.  Menus and sub-menus take a while to load, displaying thumbnail/cover art images can take awhile.  

I have noticed on the second RPi I set up that it feels snappier when I don't use the Titan Mediabrowser skin.  I'm pretty sure I did go through and tweak the skin for a lower performance device...

Deihmos

Titan is very heavy and cpu intensive skin. You should use one of the more lighter skins.

Edited by Deihmos

scalda

Play back is fine, just over all navigation is slower then I (my wife) would like. Menus and sub-menus take a while to load, displaying thumbnail/cover art images can take awhile.

I have noticed on the second RPi I set up that it feels snappier when I don't use the Titan Mediabrowser skin. I'm pretty sure I did go through and tweak the skin for a lower performance device...

Don't use custom skins on the rpi1 as the gui performance is poor you can change the gui settings in the osmc options but I haven't had much luck with custom skins. Also run osmc from a usb thumb drive as it's far faster then using the sd card

tysimons

Titan is very heavy and cpu intensive skin. You should use one of the more lighter skins.

That is a cheaper option then replacing my RPi's... any suggestions for a different skin to try out? I do like the look of the Titan skin

tysimons

Don't use custom skins on the rpi1 as the gui performance is poor you can change the gui settings in the osmc options but I haven't had much luck with custom skins. Also run osmc from a usb thumb drive as it's far faster then using the sd card

I'll try disabling the titan skin. Does the RPi 2 perform better with custom skins? I don't mind the upgrade if there is a noticeable performance increase.  

scalda

I'll try disabling the titan skin. Does the RPi 2 perform better with custom skins? I don't mind the upgrade if there is a noticeable performance increase.

Rpi2 is alot better at the custom skins I use xperience1080 on my pi2. But playback is the same as the pi1

tysimons

Rpi2 is alot better at the custom skins I use xperience1080 on my pi2. But playback is the same as the pi1

I haven't noticed any playback issues on the pi1.  Knowing the the pi2 handles skins better is not the best news for my wallet, I may have to pick one or three up in the future.

Going back to the default OSMC skin is an improvement.  Could be faster but still a lot better. Thanks!  

scalda

I haven't noticed any playback issues on the pi1. Knowing the the pi2 handles skins better is not the best news for my wallet, I may have to pick one or three up in the future.

Going back to the default OSMC skin is an improvement. Could be faster but still a lot better. Thanks!

That's what I mean playback is the same between the 2 devices. The only difference I see is in the navigation.

I have got to buy 3 more pi2's at some point to replace me kids ones as I have other plans for the 1's

Deihmos

Why a pi over a fire stick which can do a lot more than just use kodi?

I just read the fire performs a lot better than a pi.

Edited by Deihmos

mgworek

the pi2 is sooooooooooooooooo much better then the fire. Where did you read it performs better? The only thing my fire stick is good for is wanting to throw it anger.

Edited by mgworek
  • Like 1

scalda

I have no need for all the features the fire tv has I just need kodi