Host name for server

incadar

incadar

• Hi

•  

Have a quick question about host-names if someone can help please

want to manually configure add on with host name for server instead of IP, have tried with no joy

i need to set up system to ship to a non tech savy elderly family member and want to make it plug and play

it only seems to work on IP address and theirs is a lot different.

any help greatly appreciated

• Like 1

incadar

in the add on settings , there is an a section where you fill in the IP address of the emby server you want to connect to, i would like to use the server host name here instead of its IP address

incadar

??  the server and players are all on my local network and will be setup and moved to another network, i want it to just plug and play when it gets there 

CBers

So won't the IP addresses at the other place be the same ??

The Kodi addon for Emby will discover the server the first time you use it.

incadar

i do use emby connect to my home and just use a DYNDNS address in addon settings and it works great, just hoped i could use host name on internal network

CBers

You can do all of that beforehand then let the Kodi addon discover the server.

The worst that will happen is that you'll need to let Kodi do the discovery again, when it's moved and the server has a new hard-coded IP address.

Edited by CBers

Koleckai Silvestri

If you want a custom host name for your server, edit the workstation's hosts file and add something like:

10.0.0.5 emby.media.local

Then they can use that.

If you're using named machines like on a Windows network you can use the machine name instead of the IP address. For instance my server could be called //Emby and then I can access it through //Emby:8096

If you're accessing from an external location, you'll need to use a dynamic DNS service that allows you to apply a purchased domain name.

Angelblue05

Do you mean you want to be able to use your dynamic dns host name? Because you can already. :) I personally use a free domain from no-ip and that's what I use server address (external access)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

incadar

Hi 

Koleckai Silvestri

yes i am trying to connect as you say with the computer name but cannot get it to see the server on the Emby app, server is now renamed to emby, i have tryed just emby or //emby or emby:8096 or //emby:8096 but it just says server unreachable!! works fine with IP address

will try today just to let teh app find server as normal and then setup on different  internal network with different IP range