Kodi: Cover Art issues

CBers

CBers

The Cover Art images are not being displayed fully - they're being chopped off a little

Xperience1080 skin:

screen_NP_5.png

Arctic Zephyr skin:

screen_NP_6.png

Web Client:

Capture1066.jpg

So it appears to be a Kodi (addon) issue, rather than a skin issue.

Can this be fixed ??

im85288

Minor thing but your second screenshot is of xperience1080 rather than Arctic. It's a known problem I'm afraid, most people turn it off in Kodi as far as I'm aware.

CBers

Minor thing but your second screenshot is of xperience1080 rather than Arctic. It's a known problem I'm afraid, most people turn it off in Kodi as far as I'm aware.

Replaced with the correct image.

So nothing can be done?

Edited by CBers

Angelblue05

I'll check to see if something can be done. Perhaps. Since plugin:// shows the wrong video codec, we suggest to use cover art, but if it's not a proper solution :( .... 

xnappo

Coverart changes the image aspect ratios.  Emby skins know this and never put covers in comprised positions.  Kodi skins expect correct aspect ratios.   Some coverart treatments change it less than others.

Edited by xnappo

Angelblue05

But can't we request a different size from Emby to make sure it fits the ratio while still being proportional?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Yeah, well I'm testing right now to see if we can actually do something about it.... I have a bit of time to waste hehe

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Alright pushing a fix to Github. However because we need to modify the image query to the server, you will need to do a full reset-resync to see the correct aspect ratio.

It will be available in the next version 1.0.09. :)

xnappo

No no - now you are going to get an image squished/stretched to that aspect ratio - which is even worse IMHO! OAR of the base image must be respected.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, I will review cover art once more, because it does indeed stretch the thumbs currently. I only want to target posters....lol

It will take a lot of work to get Cover art to display correctly.... :/

Edited by Angelblue05

CBers

So, I thought I'd turn on DISABLE ENHANCED IMAGES, but the Covert Art images still show up even after re-starting Kodi,

Do I have to reset my Kodi database and re-import again ??

Angelblue05

Yes unfortunately. The images are cached into kodi. The faster way to update the image link set is to reset - rescan your library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

It is under in-progress :) however we will have to wait until ebr is back before tackling the issue (it's not an easy fix)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

The server already has a facility to give you the size (and, therefore, aspect ratio) of the enhanced image.   Depending on the treatment this may not be 100% accurate but it should be in most situations.

• Like 2

Angelblue05

I guess it could work, ty ebr. I'll have a look later today at this information.

• Like 1

jurmb84

Does the new option to auto cache images into Kodi fix this issue or is it still outstanding??  I didn't see it on the trello board...

• Like 1

badaas

It is a skin thing, kinda. [am only speaking about kodi skins here, nothing else I can speak for!]

As the cover art adds a spine and case trim to image, it widens it past a ratio that can comfortably fit into existing skins AR allowances, especially if skin is applying a shadow or the like. (Then add that TV posters are different size to movie posters, plus any user posters added that are different sized).

Going to be unpopular here,.. but. The covered image *should* be supplied in the same width x height of the original (that being movie poster standard size imho). This would conform to all exisitng skins. But obviously break emby's own skin layout.

Or supply 2 posters. Or skinners start adding checks for emby content, but that would just bloat skins and probably get annoying. My 2 cents. /runhide

Edited by badaas
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

It is a skin problem in the sense that yes it can't adjust the AR outside the norm, like cover art does. However using the Emby aspect ratio key in the API, then we can force it to follow AR by slightly distorting said image, like it's done in the Emby web client. However it will require code rewriting just to correctly target specific artwork in specific cases. Right now, for example, Primary stands for both poster or thumbs.... :/ 

Edited by Angelblue05

badaas

I think if you modify a poster, it should still be in the same WxH it started as, as that is what all skins are expecting. That is why moviedb etc have specific guidelines for poster sizes, so kodi for example knows what it's getting.

Dynamic sizes with API keys sounds.. painful.

Also, is it just the posters, ie. itemlist items are not covered? Thanks :)

Angelblue05

According to github wiki, it says Posters are the only thing that might have a different AR. It is quite painful to even begin to try to fix this, but the only way is to do what the web client does because no matter what, if we keep the same AR the image will always be cut off.

Edit - Unless we are able to add whitespace to the poster to make up the height without breaking the AR...... Then it would an easier fix - but then you'd end up with different sized poster. :(

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok guys, please try out beta 1.1.13 which contain a "fix" for cover art to force it into Kodi Aspect ratio (however it will slightly distort the image - it will look similar to the web client). A reset/resync of library is required after enabling the option in add-on settings > extras.

However, you should still try to contact the skin creator to have it fix. This is the only true way to actually fix the cover art issue. Posters being cut off happens in the event they scale artwork instead of keeping the ratio. If you use confluence, you will see that cover arts are not cut off or distorted, hence why it's a better alternative to the "fix" I just implemented. :)

Edited by Angelblue05