XB1 stopped playing videos

Raff

I updated to 3.0.5641.4 yesterday, and last night I started having issues playing videos using my normal method on the XB1. Until yesterday, I would use the browser on the XB1 to connect to the web client and set the Player to XboxOne. Worked great before the update. Now, if the app doesn't close and suggest I try another video, it will display a black screen and occasionally a "chirp" of broken sound will come out. I tried the show we played successfully the day before, and it also exhibited the same issues. We ended up watching it through the web client, but that is not the best experience.

Including one of the transcode logs and a snippet of the server log from yesterday for the same time period. Between the update and finally getting around to ripping my BSG, the server log was rather big, but can include more if you need.

transcode-38286bd1-5968-461f-a602-b73fc53257a8.txt

serverlog.txt

I cranked up the transcode logging and tried again. Same issue, and it's getting disheartening. This time there appears to be two transcode logs, but I don't know why.

Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having issues with Play-to on the XB1?

server-63570137229.txt

transcode-932bd3f0-dfd0-451a-8f91-44f5f3ff3337.txt

transcode-b62c574d-f5f5-46c7-890a-b36162bdfd31.txt

chef

I'm not having that particular issue, but am having issues with xb1 and DLNA constantly.

Here is a method I use to try and rectify my problems.

Restart the Xbox 1. Not just turn it off, actually go into the settings and "Restart" the console.

Try again.

It might help.

Thanks. That is always good advice, since I suspect the memory management for the apps running in the background isn't the best. However, that is the first thing I try (along with restarting and then rebooting my server) when stuff gets goofy.

Out of curiosity, what format is your media (I mostly have mkv for my other devices)? Which server version are you on?

Okay, further testing suggests this isn't a DNLA issue, but rather something directly related to Play-To.

There are files (ripped the same way) that do work. Additionally, I can use XB1 Media Player to play the problem files both directly from the NAS and through Emby. I rolled back to 3.0.5621.4 (by renaming the current System folder and then removing the ".old" from the previous one) and it works again. Can't be the DNLA configuration, since I haven't changed it "back" when I moved the system folder. This means my GF will be happy until I have to restart the server.

Digging through the logs, both before and after the rollback, there are different options used for ffmpeg per version. Since the XB1 is "playing" a black screen and popping sounds (the time on the file is correct BTW), maybe something in this file doesn't like the extra flags to be added to the command. It is worth noting, working files do have the additional parameters so I'm not suggesting this is wrong.

The 5641 not-working log entry:

2015-06-18 18:24:46.6883 Info - App: C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20150331\ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -i file:"\\MEDIA\Media\Video\TV\Castle (2009)\Season 4\Castle04x20.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 libx264 -force_key_frames expr:gte(t,n_forced*5) -vf "scale=min(iw\,720):trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset superfast -crf 23 -maxrate 920237 -bufsize 1840474 -vsync vfr -profile:v high -level 41 -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 128000 -af "aresample=async=1" -y "C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\35e71bec8d8a6b98c57836a92df2b9b6.ts"

The 5621 roll-back working version:
2015-06-18 18:42:48.9918 Info - App: C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20150331\ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -i file:"\\MEDIA\Media\Video\TV\Castle (2009)\Season 4\Castle04x20.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 128000 -af "aresample=async=1" -y "C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\20a579179aeadcd843d916b15b519a43.ts"

Is there a way to keep the transcoded file? If so, I could check it (assuming it is as easy as renaming the file extension and checking it in VLC) to see if that is the source of the problem or if it is the actual stream to the Video app.

ok, so we need to figure out why it doesnt like the transcoded video. and yet that command line looks fine to me. i suppose you could try changing the transcoding format to mp4 in the profile

• Like 1

Uh, well, I screwed up. I completely deleted my Media Browser, scrubbed the registry and reinstalled 3.0.5641.4 this morning...

The broken files work now.

I'd have to guess maybe a bad download originally, a bad update somewhere or my database got goofy. I guess I could have "advance configured" something that only impacted the current version, but I have definitely been running the default XB1 profile. I'll update if I run into any issues.

• Like 2