PS4 now has a DLNA media player...and it works with Emby as you'd expect.

SikSlayer

SikSlayer

They announced it here and like I say in the topic, it works as you expect, even with Live TV. The format support is no better than what I remember the PS3 having, and thus pales in comparison to what the Xbox One does, but Emby handles that nicely.

Edited by SikSlayer
  • Like 1

SikSlayer

Nice, can you do some screenshots?

All I can do is take screenshots with my cellphone, I have no capture equipment, and the PS4 is HDMI only with HDCP on all the damn time.

SikSlayer

I can't fast forward anything in the PS4 DLNA app.

The player indeed is very barebones, amazed it runs MKV at all, that's the only improvement I can name.

Edited by SikSlayer
  • Like 1

well the ps3 doesn't do mkv so as a result the current profile is not doing to direct stream them. so we should figure out how to detect ps4 and get a dedicated profile started for it

i am going to add one to the dev server. all i'm going to do is change 3 to 4 and add mkv. i'll leave it up to you guys to test to determine if the profile actually gets used

• Like 1

Damstas

The player indeed is very barebones, amazed it runs MKV at all, that's the only improvement I can name.

It's funny as it took so long for Sony to add that player and it doesn't even do basic things :D

• Like 1

SikSlayer

It's funny as it took so long for Sony to add that player and it doesn't even do basic things :D

Much like Xbox One and backwards compatability, they probably weren't going to add it until people asked for it, and only then started working on it. Note its even less featured than the PS3 media player day one.

If they push this, hopefully they can add DTCP-IP support and more, like the PS3 had. It'll be a long slog of minor updates adding things that should have been there day one. Sony isn't known as a software house, so sadly it'll take doubly as long.

Edited by SikSlayer
  • Like 1

trooper11

Its good that they have finally made some progress on this front.  At this point though, I see no reason to switch to my ps4 for media duties when my X1 seems poised to remain the best all-in-one solution.

I also think its good for Emby, hopefully reaching a lot of new users.

MoanyMark

It don't look like its playing in 1080p is there anyway to check what quality you are streaming it from your server I can't seem to find the option

Happy2Play

what does the dashboard say when something is playing?

MoanyMark

You can play the movie but when you go to Fast forward the movie it's just has the time of --.-- --.-- like there's no movie playing but there is can this please be fixed thanks

Vidman

You can play the movie but when you go to Fast forward the movie it's just has the time of --.-- --.-- like there's no movie playing but there is can this please be fixed thanks

does the web client show the running time for that item?

just4fun093

It's not a Emby issue. I can't fast forward anything with Plex, Emby or anything else.

this is not true for all media servers. universal media server (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/) will play files and allow FF/RW for supported media (anything with DTS audio won't work for eg). seems that if the file is transcoded it won't allow FF/RW, maybe there's a format that the file can be transcoded to that will allow it but thats beyond me.

Happy2Play

Does anyone know what profile is being used on the PS4?

• 1 month later...
ilikerolls

what does the dashboard say when something is playing?

What should I be looking for in the dashboard?  I don't see it says anything is playing.  I would really like to get this fixed.  I see a PS4 profile, but how would I know if it is getting used?

Any other updates on getting FF and RW to work with the new PS4 Media Player?

Ah OK I found it in the logs after turning debug on.  Looks like it is using the default profile.  I have version 3.0.5675.1 and I see the PS4 profile under DLNA -> profiles, but for some reason it still isn't using it. 

2015-08-05 13:10:58.6555 Debug - Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will be used. User-agent: DAFUPnP.​

Happy2Play or Luke I can send transcode and/or server logs if that will help.  The only mention of profile I saw though was "[libx264 @ 0x4310d00] profile High, level 3.1" and

{"Protocol":"File","Id":"5240d79dc7365784914d608dde643a4f","Path":"/blah.mkv","Type":"Default","Container":"mkv","Name":"720P/H264/DTS","RunTimeTicks":68860910000,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":false,"VideoType":"VideoFile","MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"h264","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":6819863,"BitDepth":8,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":696,"Width":1280,"AverageFrameRate":23.97599,"RealFrameRate":23.97599,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"1.85:1","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":41,"IsAnamorphic":false,"IsCabac":false},{"Codec":"dca","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"5.1","BitRate":1536000,"Channels":6,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"DTS","Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":["mkv","webm"],"Bitrate":6819863,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{}}​

Edited by ilikerolls

ilikerolls

OK I got it to find the profile, but now I get.  I had to add User-Agent=PS4Application to the profile to get this far.  Developers any help?

Ip: 192.168.1.111:51824. Headers: Host=192.168.1.70:8096,User-Agent=libhttp/2.57 (PlayStation 4),Connection=Keep-Alive
2015-08-05 13:35:49.9495 Error - App: Error streaming media. The client has most likely disconnected or transcoding has failed.
2015-08-05 13:35:49.9495 Debug - App: OnTranscodeEndRequest job.ActiveRequestCount=0
2015-08-05 13:35:49.9495 Debug - App: Changing kill timer to 1000ms. JobId 948a0ab0d5104b8c88f8e998a5832180 PlaySessionId
2015-08-05 13:35:49.9504 Error - HttpServer: Error in HttpListenerResponseWrapper: Write failure
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.0.5675.1
        Command line: /opt/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server
        Operating system: Unix 3.16.0.45
        Processor count: 4
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.0.1 (tarball Tue Jun  2 13:22:02 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /opt/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        Write failure
        System.IO.IOException
          at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Close () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.Extensions.CloseOutputStream (SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpListenerResponse response, ILogger logger) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
        InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
        The socket has been shut down
          at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send (System.Byte[] buf, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0​