Fire TV - Video playback error - failed to load video

Ronski

Ronski

I've had Emby server installed on my WHS 2011 for some time now, but never really used it, just been experimenting with different things as and when time permits - I've used Media Browser from withing MCE for years, but I'm in the process of moving away from MCE.

Anyway I've now almost got my cinema room done and have linked up my Fire TV (not the stick) to the system and noticed Emby, so installed it.

I can browse my moives which are stored on my sever, view the artwork and info, but if I hit play and I get the trial warning expiring in two weeks, then after that I get an error stating "Video playback error - failed to load video", now I did manage to play one video this morning, then tried another and got the error.

I did find another thread here which is in the live TV forum and I tried changing the max bitrate to 5Mbps as suggested, even 2Mbps but it made no difference. I can play movies on my WIndows 7 desktop PC via Emby no problem.

The server is running Version 3.0.5621.4, and the Fire TV is running version 1.0.50a

Now to find those logs...

Right found the logs, there quite a few and as I don't know which ones are required I've uploaded them all to Drop Box.

Your issue will be something completely different than the one people are having with Server WMC.  The message you see is what you'll get when the video cannot be played.  We don't get any more detailed information than that from the player.

So, as for your issue, my guess is that it is a transcoding problem of some sort on the server.  Hopefully, Luke can look at your transcode logs and see what the problem is but it would probably also be helpful to do the following:

1) Re-start your server and let the initial scan complete

2) Log in with the Fire TV app and reproduce the problem.  Note exactly what you played when the problem occurred.

3) Go to the logs directory and post just the latest server and transcode logs

4) Also post the media info from the web client detail page for the item with the problem

That should make it much easier to diagnose what is going on.  Thx.

And when doing so, make sure to identify which logs exhibit the problem because there's about 50 of them in that link you posted.

Valyth

I was having this same problem on my Fire TV, but after poking around the error files, I managed to fix it.  Here's how:

When poking around the logs, I saw this entry:

2015-06-14 20:00:11.2475 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/videos/337719a7c1ce995b263034f7d3eb8996/hlsdynamic/main/0.ts?DeviceId=d054b7b27368a38e&MediaSourceId=337719a7c1ce995b263034f7d3eb8996&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=aac&AudioStreamIndex=1&VideoBitrate=29872000&AudioBitrate=128000&MaxAudioChannels=6&MaxWidth=1920&MaxHeight=1080&Level=40&ClientTime=1434337213258&MaxVideoBitDepth=8&Profile=high&PlaySessionId=4c51d854710f43eb89d3627544a10dfd&api_key=3dde145c071c435897d6eda6034b64b7

*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.0.5621.4
Command line: C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor count: 4
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: False
Program data path: C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Could not find a part of the path 'Y:\Emby Cache\transcoding-temp\42343ef2d75715772834e4a6fcd39e3b.m3u8'.
ServiceStack.HttpError
No Stack Trace Available

When I had set up Emby, I changed the location of my cache folder in the settings to the Y: drive (Y:\Emby Cache) referenced in the log above -- however, while both cache and metadata folders were created by Emby when I did this, there was no transcoding-temp folder.  I went ahead and created this folder to see if that would help - then tried again, and everything was working.  Hopefully that helps someone else out!

Ronski

Thank all for your replies, I've restarted the server and waited for the scan to complete and then tried to play "The Fault in our Stars" and then got the error. I've attached the latest server log, transcode log and the meida info.

In the server log at at 2015-06-15 19:23:52.7368 there's a reference to Playing/Progress, soon after thats it states "starting kill timer" and shortly after that an error report that may be of relavance.

Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

@Valyth I can't find any references to "Could not find" except for "Could not find codec parameters for stream 2" in the transcode log.

server-63569989846.txt

transcode-ce2835b4-f761-4b8a-ab4d-d143fa17e93b.txt

post-49898-0-61362900-1434395288_thumb.jpg

Definitely looks like a transcoding error to me but I'll need Luke to confirm.

catskinsox

Could not find a part of the path 'Y:\Emby Cache\transcoding-temp\42343ef2d75715772834e4a6fcd39e3b.m3u8'.

I had a similar issue to this a couple days ago, and it turned out the transcoding-temp directory did not exist.  I created it, and everything was fine after that.

EDIT: Crap.. didn't read the whole thread.  I saw someone already mentioned that fix.  

Edited by catskinsox

• 2 weeks later...
Ronski

Tested it tonight and it seems to be working, even live TV - perhaps there's been an update.