OTA EPG

Scot

I'm in Australia and therefore have no support for Schedules Direct, will you support OTA DVB/ATSC EPG populating

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Strudo76

I'm also interested in this. I currently use WMC for recording Australian OTA channels, and since WMC isn't supported under W10, I need a replacement PVR. Will this be suitable or will I need something else.

• Like 1

Nathanio

I'd be interested in this as well. I am looking to purchase a HDHR4-2DT(UK) to use live tv on my server and remove the alliance on windows MCE. I like the ability to add it to the network which will be easier for me than running cables everywhere (once i've confirmed i'm happy then maybe a couple in the loft would work.

Can XMLTV be run without needing mythtv?

Thanks

Karbowiak

I'd be interested in this as well. I am looking to purchase a HDHR4-2DT(UK) to use live tv on my server and remove the alliance on windows MCE. I like the ability to add it to the network which will be easier for me than running cables everywhere (once i've confirmed i'm happy then maybe a couple in the loft would work.

Can XMLTV be run without needing mythtv?

Thanks

I ended with TVHeadEnd using XMLTV and a few other bits and pieces to make everything work.

In the end, i had to anyway, because i have channels that needs a card to decode.

So, OSCAM + TVHeadEnd + HDHomerun - should be interesting if i can even get this shit to work :D

rkulagow

[i work for Schedules Direct]

We have lineups and guide data for a number of countries, ( http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2655 )  including UK; for the U.S. and Canada (where we've had guide data for close to 10 years) there's a 7 day trial, and for the rest of the world we're offering a 90 day trial because we know that the lineup may not be perfect on the first iteration, but we'll do our best to get things updated as quickly as possible.

If you're interested then please send me a private message with your postal code and I can show you what the data looks like for your lineup. There's 260 active Emby users on the service, so there appears to be enough technical knowledge available in the Emby community if there are any issues with the Emby side.

Nathanio

[i work for Schedules Direct]

We have lineups and guide data for a number of countries, ( http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2655 ) including UK; for the U.S. and Canada (where we've had guide data for close to 10 years) there's a 7 day trial, and for the rest of the world we're offering a 90 day trial because we know that the lineup may not be perfect on the first iteration, but we'll do our best to get things updated as quickly as possible.

If you're interested then please send me a private message with your postal code and I can show you what the data looks like for your lineup. There's 260 active Emby users on the service, so there appears to be enough technical knowledge available in the Emby community if there are any issues with the Emby side.

Pm sent!

PM sent from me to....however I really don't think you have data for Melbourne Australia...or indeed Australia at all...right? If that is the case then could we please have OTA Guide data supported, here in Australia this works perfectly...

-SM

bennymac

I post this earlier on the EmbyTV area  this morning http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20217-dev-embytv-a-livetv-client-for-network-tuners-hdhomerun-at-the-moment/page-15&do=findComment&comment=230973

I'm in Australia also and over at www.schedulesdirect.org/survey you can show your interest in support for countries outside the US/Canada.

I've been completely the survey behind different IP's to hopefully get them to add Aussie support to the EPG.

Maybe you fella's can go do the same.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well....it's gone release and still no way to use this feature without using Schedules Direct, which isn't available in Australia which is a major bummer. An XML feed is also virtually useless unless the Emby Team join up with IceTV (highly recommended, Luke...please contact them?).

Best still...our OTA Guide data is excellent in Australia, this would be the simplest options for those that cannot use Schedule's direct....please just enable this?

<rant>

It's also depressing that I started this thread in no less than 3 locations with being virtually ignored....I have 'donated' to this project mainly due to LiveTV support...unfortunately not only is LiveTV worse than Kodi's implementation but also iOS is still coming.....and has been coming for a long long long time...</rant>

-SM 

Edit: Yes, I mean using the secondary Plug-In's etc. So I guess I mean I want the true Emby TV experience so it doesn't take 10+ seconds to start a channel (Kodi starts in 3 seconds from the same HD HomeRun tuners....hence the better than Emby with the various Plug-Ins comment)....

I really do think only having the system work with Schedules Direct was a major limitation to start things off with...why not support OTA which is built in to the turners, at least then so so many more people can actually use Emby TV? 

Luke, you mean you'll get OTHER XML feed support working, just letting you know this will be virtually useless for Australian users....the ONLY options here is either Ice TV or OTA Guide Data...period....everything else is FAR more difficult to set up for Australian users than what Emby TV is trying to make easier (say over just installing NextPVR and using OTA Guide data)

Edited by Scot
  • Like 1

Rather than worse, I think you mean to say I'm unable to evaluate live tv vs Kodi because there's no guide data available. If you read the blog post it discusses plans for other countries.

Trevor68

How are you guys using this on your TV's? is there an app I'm missing somewhere, or your just using the web browser?

I'm prepared to buy a HD Homerun, but if I have to use web browser I think I'll pass.

Trevor68

yup, from top to bottom, it all looks very interesting, but I still have zero clue how to use it, what app to install etc.

I currently use ServerWMC/Emby Classic, so unsure if I need to install an app on the TV (which one?) or just use the web browser.

Like I said if its the web browser I'll pass.

I currently do have the samsung TV app installed, but have never used it due to the lack of LiveTV.

The blog post links here, so I guess no app then?

http://emby.media/download/

Edited by Trevor68

Vidman

Emby classic and kodi don't support live tv as they both have their own live tv solutions. ..the samsung app doesn't yet but all other apps do. ..to use the servers built in live tv currently requires a hdhomerun ...but most other tv tuners can be made to work with the other live tv backend plugins ...which you already have with serverwmc. To use use on your tv need to have a android tv or some box plugged in that can run the android tv app or emby theater

... Or you could try access via DLNA?

Edited by Vidman

Trevor68

well this has been my point since W10 and the demise of WMC. Everyone keeps saying oh this works, but noone can tell me exactly how. Without a TV app what is the point? I tried using the server itself full screen, but then you need a mouse to drive it.

I'm interested in waiting for Theatre to drop, but your post seems to suggest it will not work on TV either? Maybe I'm just dumb as your saying TV Tuners also completely lost me.

I gather the other "solutions" have apps you can install on the TV, like NextPVR etc, but I have seen people complain they are fiddly as well. With no WAF at all I think w7 will be staying for a few years yet.

There is no substitute for EmbyClassic/WMC, as anything else seems to be an overly complicated workaround.

Edited by Trevor68
  • Like 1

Vidman

What TV tuner do you have? What os is your server running on? And what do you have connected to your TV? Kodi is your best replacement for wmc/emby classic ATM at least until the new version of emby theatre is released... Which should be quite soon apparently

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

scope99

Hi BennyMac. I am from Australia too and have completed the schedulesdirect survey. Would get a HDHomerun and lose the old WMC box in a flash if it wasn't for this. If you come up with a solution could you please let me know?

Scope99, I wouldn't hold your breath on filling in the schedules direct survey....plenty have done that for Australia over the last 10 years...zip, nada, zero feedback or response...

-SM

Edited by Scot

Strudo76

Scope99, I wouldn't hold your breath on filling in the schedules direct survey....plenty have done that for Australia over the last 10 years...zip, nada, zero feedback or response...

-SM

Why would they. The OTA guide is accurate and up to date. Other than this purpose, there wouldn't really be a call for an external TV guide service.

Maybe we need to chip in and buy Luke an Aussie holiday. I have a room here with network and TV points, and he can stay there as long as he likes (i.e. until it's done ;) )

jordy

agree, the aussie OTA guide is generally pretty good but it does not contain Series or Episode numbers (WMC does not show or populate them in the guide listings or in the metadata of recorded shows), which is a pain...

The OTA guide is not that easy to get access to and is being deprecated in 2017 (according to my research).

If you guys want us to be able to support Aus guide data, please respond to rkulagow with his request.  Thanks.

MadibaJ

I'm in Brisbane, I use EPGCollector and grab the Mheg5 data stream. Which i import into the mediaportal TV backend. Works great.

The EPGCollector runs the series through tvdb and adds series data. It cannot fault it.

EPGCollector is written by a kiwi bloke who's always quick to respond to queries.