iOS App - Version Requirement

Scallica

isn't happening. it's designed for ios7. you would need a whole new app. developers always like coding for the latest because it means you get to use all the new toys.

darwindeeds

True. I would actually have to invest a lot of time supporting older versions. It might leave a few users behind but it will be worth while, if and when you upgrade. I hope other options work for you.

• 1 month later...
Brendon

From a parents persective, there is no way in hell i am running out and upgrading my kids apple crap every 2years because they wont support an iOS longer then that. eg my daughter has an ipod barely 2yrs old and it wont take iOS7(another reason to hate apple lol), i have no intention of running out and replacing it, so she misses out, not that i am saying this is your fault, just saying this is the stupidity of the world we live in, 2yrs and it's game over :(

From a parents persective, there is no way in hell i am running out and upgrading my kids apple crap every 2years because they wont support an iOS longer then that. eg my daughter has an ipod barely 2yrs old and it wont take iOS7(another reason to hate apple lol), i have no intention of running out and replacing it, so she misses out, not that i am saying this is your fault, just saying this is the stupidity of the world we live in, 2yrs and it's game over :(

Yea. It's hard. Netflix just released a new layout for Roku and everyone is in uproar that it only supports Roku 3. People on message boards are under the impression there was a corporate agreement to force people to upgrade their devices.  But it's just a matter of the further back you want to support, the less you can do in terms of utilizing new features. obviously each developer has to decide for themselves where the right balance is. In the case of ios7, it's a complete makeover so you basically lose all of the new stuff by adding support for ios6.

Koleckai Silvestri

I had to install Plex's Server as well so we can get movies and television on our iPads which are the original version and only support iOS 5.5.1. We have an iPod touch which is even older. Might have to upgrade the iPads in the next year or so as a lot of companies aren't supporting them anymore. Most new applications require iOS 6 or iOS7 as the baseline. I tend to use my iPhone more often than the iPad because of this. Luckily Hulu+, Netflix, and Kindle and web browser do still work on them. That is what we pretty much do with them these days.

I did decide to upgrade my teen's iPhones from the 3GS to the iPhone 4S this year so they could use iOS7 though. Was a bit costly with device cost ($49.99 each), sales tax, and line upgrade fees ($36.00 each). Came out to about $400.00 for all three lines when it was all done.

• 2 weeks later...
Starlionblue

Amazingly, Apple is one of the good guys in this respect. They tend to support old devices way longer than most Android manufacturers.

As a fallback, you can use the web client.

Koleckai Silvestri

Amazingly, Apple is one of the good guys in this respect. They tend to support old devices way longer than most Android manufacturers.

As a fallback, you can use the web client.

You're right. I am still using an original iPad which is restricted to iOS 5.5.1 and an older iPod Touch which is running 4.4.3. Both still run most Apps that I have tried. Will probably change now though with the release of iOS 7. To many improvements there to overlook.

• 2 months later...

You're right. I am still using an original iPad which is restricted to iOS 5.5.1 and an older iPod Touch which is running 4.4.3. Both still run most Apps that I have tried. Will probably change now though with the release of iOS 7. To many improvements there to overlook.

Version 3.0.5188.21314 breaks safari on iOS 5.1.1 as a browser - it no longer plays anything so basically Mediabrowser3 just became useless for me.  Replacing everything is a lot more expensive is South Africa - working out to almost $1000 each by the time you factor in duties and taxes.

Koleckai Silvestri

It is a bug... it can probably be resolved. I wouldn't rush out and purchase stuff yet.

• 4 weeks later...
sfnetwork

I would also like to see the client available for IOS 5  for the IPad 1.

That won't happen for a while. iPad app is completely built (well in the process) using most recent iOS7 sdk to give the best and most up to date experience possible. (@@darwindeeds correct me if I'm wrong)

But like he mentioned, nothing is impossible in the future...

But IMO, it's like Windows XP, end of support = apps won't support it anymore...  (XBMC, Plex, etc...)

We're talking about iOS 5 here on iPad 1... even if it would work, I presume performance would just be a nightmare and would get a lot of complains....

And I would hate to have compromises only to support older iOS versions personally...

Just my opinion... no hate  :)

Edited by sfnetwork