Emby not Scraping Youtube Trailer information?

Raze

Hi all,

I'm new to Emby / Media Browser and so far am liking the functionality and speed.

I've gotten hung up on one issue - it seems to me that Emby is not scraping trailer information from themoviedb.com. Maybe I'm missing something and would certainly appreciate a push in the right direction.

I am using Kodi (Helix 14.2) and the latest Emby Addon for Kodi (1.0). It connects just fine and play video beautifully from my server (running ver 3.0.5621.4). The problem is when I go into my movies, open the context menu, select movie information and try to play a trailer, the trailer button does not show up. The trailer button not showing up is normal behavior for the confluence skin if no trailer information is available.

This function works just fine when I point Kodi to my library and get it to scrape from themoviedb.com. I have exported my library and confirmed lines such as the following appear in the videodb.xml: <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=nijccxWvyXU</trailer>. It appears that through Kodi, trailer information has been obtained and playing the trailer through the youtube addon works beautifully.

When i export my library when using Emby, there is nothing included between <trailer></trailer>. Suggesting that the trailer information has not been scraped?

To me this suggests that somehow Emby isn't scraping this infomation and Kodi is??

I have made sure that themoviedb is on the top of all the lists on metadata services. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Having this function work would be amazing - being able to watch the trailer directly from the movie library make picking a movie so much easier (and eliminates all the "what was that movie about again?").

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

No. I don't have trailers addon installed. Would that make a differance in scraping movie data?

Edited by mike2455

CBers

Online trailer information should be added when the movie's metadata is fetched.

Do your movies have trailers available online?

Trailers are no longer downloaded.

Online trailer information should be added when the movie's metadata is fetched.

Do your movies have trailers available online?

Trailers are no longer downloaded.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the trailer through the web interface and it works fine. This leads me to believe that the online trailer location is being scraped. Is there anyway I can confirm this?

If the info is being scraped, the for some reason it is not being transferred into the kodi database?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by mike2455

When we download metadata, we do get trailer info from Tmdb and store it in your metadata files.

When we download metadata, we do get trailer info from Tmdb and store it in your metadata files.

Any idea why it might not be transferring that metadata to kodi?

I would think it would want to be in the following format.

<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=nijccxWvyXU</trailer>

that's exactly what we do.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<movie>
  <plot>Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" is very loosely based the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his army against the advancing Persians; the battle is said to have inspired all of Greece to band together against the Persians, and helped usher in the world's first democracy.</plot>
  <outline>King Leonidas and a force of 300 men fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C.</outline>
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2015-01-26 16:15:57</dateadded>
  <title>300</title>
  <originaltitle>300</originaltitle>
  <director>Zack Snyder</director>
  <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=UrIbxk7idYA</trailer>
  <rating>7.8</rating>

that's exactly what we do.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<movie>
  <plot>Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" is very loosely based the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his army against the advancing Persians; the battle is said to have inspired all of Greece to band together against the Persians, and helped usher in the world's first democracy.</plot>
  <outline>King Leonidas and a force of 300 men fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C.</outline>
  <dateadded>2015-01-26 16:15:57</dateadded>
  <title>300</title>
  <originaltitle>300</originaltitle>
  <director>Zack Snyder</director>
  <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=UrIbxk7idYA</trailer>
  <rating>7.8</rating>

That's exactally what I expect to see. However this is what my videodb.xml looks like when I do an library export from Kodi with Emby running. As you can see there is no data between <trailer> and </trailer>. Any ideas as to why that is not populating?

<movie>
        <title>The Secret Life of Walter Mitty</title>
        <originaltitle>The Secret Life of Walter Mitty</originaltitle>
        <sorttitle>secret life of walter mitty</sorttitle>
        <rating>7.400000</rating>
        <epbookmark>0.000000</epbookmark>
        <year>2013</year>
        <top250>0</top250>
        <votes></votes>
        <outline>A day-dreamer escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, he takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.</outline>
        <plot>Ben Stiller directs and stars in THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, James Thurber's classic story of a day-dreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker (Kristen Wiig) are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.</plot>
        <tagline>Stop dreaming. Start living.</tagline>
        <runtime>114</runtime>
        <mpaa>Rated PG for some crude comments, language and action violence</mpaa>
        <playcount>0</playcount>
        <lastplayed></lastplayed>
        <file></file>
        <path>plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/e087795d1b235553895b0c6167a196c0/</path>
        <filenameandpath>plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/e087795d1b235553895b0c6167a196c0/?id=e087795d1b235553895b0c6167a196c0&mode=play</filenameandpath>
        <basepath></basepath>
        <id>tt0359950</id>
        <genre>Adventure</genre>
        <genre>Comedy</genre>
        <genre>Drama</genre>
        <genre>Fantasy</genre>
        <country>USA</country>
        <set></set>
        <tag>Movies(Bespin)</tag>
        <credits>Steve Conrad</credits>
        <director>Ben Stiller</director>
        <premiered></premiered>
        <status></status>
        <code></code>
        <aired></aired>
        <studio>Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation</studio>
        <trailer></trailer>
        <fileinfo>
Edited by mike2455

it's possible the add-on just isn't sending the info down maybe? you'll have to check your metadata first in emby server before going to kodi.

it's possible the add-on just isn't sending the info down maybe? you'll have to check your metadata first in emby server before going to kodi.

Thanks.

So i've checked the metadata being generated by the Emby Server. It looks fine (see below). I've also set Emby to save artwork and metadata in media folders. When i point kodi to those media folders with the Emby generated metadata, i'm able to watch the trailer.

<movie>
  <plot>Author P.L. Travers travels from London to Hollywood as Walt Disney Pictures adapts her novel Mary Poppins for the big screen.</plot>
  <outline>Author P.L. Travers reflects on her childhood after reluctantly meeting with Walt Disney, who seeks to adapt her Mary Poppins books for the big screen.</outline>
  <dateadded>2015-06-15 01:33:23</dateadded>
  <title>Saving Mr. Banks</title>
  <originaltitle>Saving Mr. Banks</originaltitle>
  <director>John Lee Hancock</director>
  <writer>Kelly Marcel</writer>
  <writer>Sue Smith</writer>
  <credits>Kelly Marcel</credits>
  <credits>Sue Smith</credits>
  <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=nijccxWvyXU</trailer>
  <rating>7.5</rating>
  <year>2013</year>

im85288

We are only pulling trailers into Kodi when they are local. So in your case as its a YouTube link it is ignored. The reasoning behind this is that most skins allow you to browse trailers on YouTube anyway so there was no need to import that data.

• Like 1

im85288

Actually scrap what I said earlier, as long as you have the standard trailers plugin for the server installed the trailers are retrieved from there and passed along to Kodi as the trailer url to play. This will only work if you do not have "use local paths" enabled in the addon.

It seems strange that this information needs to be passed through a server plugin, but ill give it a try!

So I have the plugin installed but I don't see an option to use local paths on the settings screen? I only see 1) movie trailer archive 2) new and up coming in theatres 3) new to bluray / dvd and 4) new to Netflix

The movie trailer archive not selected, the rest are. I'm not sure what the archive option does.

I tried to see if the trailer data was passed to kodi with this plugin enabled and it still is not there.

Where is the use local paths option?

Thanks for your help!

It seems strange that this information needs to be passed through a server plugin, but ill give it a try!

So I have the plugin installed but I don't see an option to use local paths on the settings screen? I only see 1) movie trailer archive 2) new and up coming in theatres 3) new to bluray / dvd and 4) new to Netflix

The movie trailer archive not selected, the rest are. I'm not sure what the archive option does.

I tried to see if the trailer data was passed to kodi with this plugin enabled and it still is not there.

Where is the use local paths option?

Thanks for your help!

if all you want is the youtube info added to your metadata file, then ignore the posts about the server plugin and just follow what i said. 

if all you want is the youtube info added to your metadata file, then ignore the posts about the server plugin and just follow what i said.

Thanks Luke

I'm pretty sure the metadata is being scraped by emby fine as per my post above ( #11 I think)

Do you think its a matter of the trailer metadata information not being passed through by the kodi Addon?

Is there a way I can check? Are you or anybody else experiencing the same behaviour?

Thanks again for your help.

im85288

You may need to do a database reset of the emby addon to get the changes picked up locally in kodi.

You may need to do a database reset of the emby addon to get the changes picked up locally in kodi.

@ im85288 - I tried this again. Still no effect.

I thought that maybe i wasn't explaining the issue well enough. So here are some images to hopefully show exactly what i mean. The first image is the movie information page from Kodi (confluence skin) and you can see that in the bottom right, i have highlighted the option to play trailer.

In the second image below it is the same screen when using Emby. There is no option to play trailer. :(

Again any solutions or ideas are appreciated. At this point, for my own sanity,  I'd settle for somebody telling me they are experiencing the same behaviour!

557df754abd3b_kodi.jpg

Image above: Movie information screen from Kodi database

557df81eb0f3a_emby.jpg

Image above: movie information page from Emby. Notice there is no option to play trailer!!

post-49351-0-18196200-1434318741_thumb.jpg

post-49351-0-30895300-1434318742_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike2455

Angelblue05

@

I don't personally use trailers so I can't say for sure if trailers work or not, but I'll add it to our trello board so we don't forget to review trailers when we have a moment. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

xnappo

@@im85288 - is this just a skin thing with some skins not showing the play trailers button because they don't like the path?

im85288

No, as far as I understand things work as i described. So the emby addon pays no attention to the nfo metadata scraped by emby or any other addon and populates the trailer tags if there are trailers returned by the API call to get trailers. So for example if in the web client you can click on the trailer button, it should then be the same in kodi. If the OP installed the trailers plugin, tested it works in the web client and then did a complete re sync in the emby addon the trailers should be there.

@@im85288 - is this just a skin thing with some skins not showing the play trailers button because they don't like the path?

@@xnappo - first, thanks for your work on the Kodi Addon.

To answer your question - the metadata seems to be in a format that the Kodi skin likes (it includes a path directing it to the youtube addon). I have set Emby to "save artwork and metadata in media folders" and then pointed Kodi to those folders and told it to use locally available metadata. When using Emby generated metadata the trailer option does appear and it can be watched. It is stored something like this: <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=nijccxWvyXU</trailer> which is also exactally how Kodi scrapes it (as per post #1).

To summarize this thread for you:

1. I have reviewed the metadata obtained by Emby server and it appears fine. See post above in response to Luke (post #11).
  2. I can play the trailer from the web interface of the server (which would seem to also confirm the metadata is fine?) (post #5)
  3. When I export my library from Kodi (after it has been populated by Emby) there is nothing included between <trailer></trailer> tags in the metadata (posts #1 and #9).
  4. I have confirmed that the trailer option is available when I allow Kodi to scrape the information AND when I tell Koid to use the locally availalbe metadata, generated by Emby (posts #1 and #11)

At first I thought that this was all a result of Emby not scraping the trailer information, but have realized through the help of those repsonding to this thread that Emby does appear to scrape the information correctly.

It now seems to me that the Emby addon for Kodi is somehow not passing the trailer metadata to Kodi. Granted my experience is limited but, I don't think it's even a case of the wrong information being passed (i.e. in a format Kodi or the skin doesn't like) as the information is completely blank when doing a Kodi database export (#3 in my list above).

Hopefully you can confirm if the metadata is or is not being transfered from Emby server through the Emby Addon to the Kodi database? I'm happy to do more testing and try more things out! Let me know and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sorry for the lengthy response!

~Mike

CBers

@ - what do you mean by "pointed Kodi to those folders"?

Are you adding sources to Kodi?

Also, what do you mean in point 3,"When I export my library from Kodi"?