External Subtitles, External Server, External player

AM S1

Hello!
I have an external server out of my LAN 
I have the android client version 2.3.06 on android version 4.1.2

a .mp4 movie with .srt external subtitle on the server

if it played back with the inner player, the subtitle shown perfectly (direct streamng)
but if it played back with an external player like mxplayer for example i get too (direct streamng), but the subtitle does not shown

this tells me that the server does not send the subtitle when an external player?

is this correct?
Or am I missing something?

It would be nice if the subtitles can be streamed when an external player has been selected

Regrads

why are you not on the latest version of 2.3.13?

it does support external subs based on your user profile settings. for external players, there is no way to activate the subtitles after playback, so you have to configure your preferences to make them the default. then they'll just get burned in via transcoding.

why are you not on the latest version of 2.3.13?

it does support external subs based on your user profile settings. for external players, there is no way to activate the subtitles after playback, so you have to configure your preferences to make them the default. then they'll just get burned in via transcoding.

Hoo, well I was not aware of this latest version, I will install at this time
but my intension in the end is still have direct streaming
as such as in the internal player does

to explain better, I have nothing against the internal player, it works beautifully,
what I want in the end is to select not the "mxplayer" but an application like "toaster cast" that gives me the video to my dlna smart tv through me Android smartphone,
This works great but the problem is only subtitles

let me see this new version, I'll let my comments

thank you very much

Edited by AM S1

if you want direct stream + subs + external player, then you need to make the subtitles internal because there is no way to pass the information of external file to the external player.

if you want direct stream + subs + external player, then you need to make the subtitles internal because there is no way to pass the information of external file to the external player.

Yes.It is what I feared haha, I'll have to go to .mkv container.
the only problem is that mkv is not compatible with many devices, ie, the MP4 is the most compatible

I'll do some tests

I do not know if it is possible, later, to implement that, from an external server, can send the video to my DLNA devices on my internal network

thanks

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

My current envrionment:

PC emby server, DLNA profile customized for external subtitle + direct play on android without transcoding.

All is good, but..

I have two scenarios:

1.Android, DLNA middleware(android bubbleupnp)+android external player mxplayer

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=81043887#post81043887

I can see the "two" extra subtitle streams in bubbleupnp's metadata, correctly passed by emby DLNA server; but only ONE of the external subtitle stream can be played. This is bubbleupnp's issue. So I'd like to avoid this solution.

2.Android, emby client, with internal and/or external player

Internal player: I can play them without transcoding, but then I cannot adjust playback speed, playback gesture, etc. This is crucial to me, including subtitle adjustment, other extra features provided by mxplayer, etc.

External player: As you've mentioned in this thread, there's no way to convey "external" subtitle stream to external player, so transcoding is forced.

Dilemma: I cannot have direct play+two external subtitle+external player at the same time.

Question: Is it possible for you to make emby android client's "external player" feature able to choose and pass external subtitle streams to the player? (subtitle chosen in emby client)

I wonder if the android emby client can directly pass the two subtitle stream(as seen/generated in emby DLNA) to external player would work, as under dlna they work perfectly without transcoding.

Sorry if my English is bad, willing to provide log or reiterate things to make it more clear.

Thank you for having such a good software!

Edited by 29988122

Yes but that would either require transcoding or potentially specific development targeting certain external player apps.

Yes but that would either require transcoding or potentially specific development targeting certain external player apps.

I got it, very clear - band-aid solution or edge case is not a good priority for software development.

Guess I can retrieve subtitle files via other ways available(teamviewer? lol). A hassle but certainly doable!

Still, I'd like to say, your software is tons better than plex! : D

Keep up the great work!