Chromecast not playing

meeok2

It will update through the play store and you'll have a notification. Should be the same as any other app.

Yes I still need to update the CC receiver to respond to the audio/sub switching commands and I will try to get to that next after we get through the app update.

Zekesdad

After the update, none of my three chromecasts are showing up in the emby app.  They work in Youtube, Plex, and PocketCasts apps, but not emby any more.  Tried rebooting but that didnt work.

perhaps try rebooting the CC devices. I'm not sure. Testing feedback was good about Chromecast. Probably just something fluky.

I'm anxiously awaiting my update. Last night, again, nothing but problems. Wouldn't cast. Tried rebooting my CC, but that didn't help.

Worse, after I gave up, even my other casting apps like Netflix and Hulu, had no casting icon! I had to switch from my phone to my tablet to get them to work. Perhaps I should have tried rebooting my phone, but I was frustrated and tired.

Edit: I just checked and my update was waiting! I'll test it later tonight.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Edited by leebo
  • Like 1

cskyrme

I received the update on my Nexus 6 today, and after very brief initial testing it appears to be much improved. The local play looks great using vlc, but most importantly for me, Chromecast seems much much more reliable.

The only issue I have noticed so far is that I still can't return to the emby app through the notifications area (might be the wrong term - when I pull down from the top of screen).

Great progress. Will test more thoroughly later and report any material issues.

I received the update on my Nexus 6 today, and after very brief initial testing it appears to be much improved. The local play looks great using vlc, but most importantly for me, Chromecast seems much much more reliable.

The only issue I have noticed so far is that I still can't return to the emby app through the notifications area (might be the wrong term - when I pull down from the top of screen).

I will test that, thanks.

I'm still not having a lot of luck using Chromecast.

I installed the update on both my LG G4 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.

At first, neither would play any of my files. After several tries, my Tab started playing a video. But after about 4 minutes, it stopped, and returned to the episodes "play" screen. I was not able to get it or any other video to play again (from either device).

I killed Emby and restarted it. I switched to my phone. I cleared the cache. I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it. I rebooted the Emby server. I rebooted the computer server that was running Emby server.

Finally, I rebooted Emby server again. After that, it started playing a video. But by then, it was late so I stopped it.

I'll try it again tomorrow night.

BTW, there are still two other issues (I've never reported this before):

When I quit Emby for Android, the Chromecast screen does not return to its default slide show (I.e., it does not release the screen). I have to run the Chromecast app, cast my devices screen, then stop casting.

I can't actually "quit" Emby. It remains on my devices screen. I have to hit the "home" button to rerun to my desktop, then hit the previous apps button and kill Emby from there.

Edited by leebo

AxelAxel3

I too have the same problem with returning to emby, but the Chromecast is so much more reliable. It was sad - emby was useless for me until this was fixed.. I was excited to get to use emby again last night! The app layout is awesome too!

I'm willing to give you any help you need with troubleshooting or testing!

DurMonAtor

Hey, I seem to be having this issue as well, with chromecast and apple tv, neither seem to want to work, I can play to chromecast through chrome, but not through my phone. I have tried rebooting the app, server and chromecast all with no luck

Hey, I seem to be having this issue as well, with chromecast and apple tv, neither seem to want to work, I can play to chromecast through chrome, but not through my phone. I have tried rebooting the app, server and chromecast all with no luck

can you describe in more detail? thanks.

DurMonAtor

can you describe in more detail? thanks.

Hey, sorry, I go onto my emby app on my htc and select chromecast, it switches to the chromecast channel but doesn't show the same screen as the web, it just stays on the screensaver. On Apple TV it doesn't even recognise that I click the play button and sits there on the home screen.

AxelAxel3

And I noticed the emby cast never goes away... like it shows in my notification drawer sometimes till I kill the app in processes. Right now I'm on 4G and it won't go away! And other times I can't get it to stay!post-1176-14377013168593_thumb.png

Edit: that clip is only 20 minutes long and it shows that it's been playing for over an hour.

Edited by Darkstyrm
  • Like 1

shorty1483

New to Emby (coming from Plex) I spend a whole day to set up the Libraries, Users etc. First I am very pleased because MB is so customizable...really love it.

After all was finished, I also wanted to watch a movie via CC with my son.

But sadly I face the same problem described several times in this Thread. The CC is ready, the Emby Android App connects to the CC (black screen with the green logo), but when I try to start the movie via Play button, nothing happens. I also recognized when I try to disconnct from CC by switching back to "My device", the black screen with the green logos stays on TV Monitor. Same behaviour when trying to stream to CC from the Webplayer. Streaming to the Samsung App, inside Chrome and to the Android client are working. Also other CC implementations like Netflix and Plex work.

My configuration:

- Emby Server 3.0.5675.1 on Windows 7 32bit
- CC with FW 32904
- Emby Android App 2.3.80 (newest one) on HTC One M8 with Android Lollipop

Cheers

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

I sideloaded Emby 2.2.38, et voilà, CC Streaming is working. If you need logs, please tell me which ones (but I beleave the not streaming bug is known already).

Even with this latest version of Emby (2.3.80), I'm still having issues.

I open the app, either on my phone or my tablet. I log into a user account (local WiFi). Fine so far.

I click on a TV show. It tries to open the page, but I just get a blank screen. This is b4 I even try to cast, so I'm wondering if this is a separate issue? Even so, I did not have this b4 the latest version was released.

If I close the app (even killing it in recent apps) and try again, I get the same results. If I give up and try sometime later, like 30 mins or so, often times it will then work. At that point, casting works (though it's a bit slow to begin).

ike301

I'm having the same exact problem as Shorty1483, before his sideloading workaround. Is this seriously being looked into? 

shorty1483

I'm unable to reproduce the problem so please make sure to see here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Ok so here we go. Upgraded the old 2.2.38 to the actual version from Play Store. To my surprise, the first stream I tried worked at the first time (and this after 2 days fiddling around with no success just using actual version of Android App :D)

But every stream I started afterwards did not play. Server connects to CC but the TV screen just stays black with no Video. Also playing on the phone shows same behaviour. Afterwards I saw, that the different instances of ffmpeg were not shut down properly and I had 5 times ffmpeg.exe in Task Manager.

Attached is the log from my Phone, the Server log and the transcode logs.

Edit: It seems, that the problem described above seems similar to this thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10275-multiple-instances-of-ffmpeg-when-transcoding/

Edited by shorty1483

So for the last few days it seems to be working for me. I still have the, "it doesn't release the Chromecast after I select cast to my device" issue. Plus there is another issue I've noticed: if I'm watching something, and I pause it, and I keep it paused long enough for my mobile devices screen to turn off, the transport controls are gone when I wake the screen. In that case, I have no way to un-pause the program, so I have to start from the beginning and try to find where I left off.

Edited by leebo

Still having the issue mentioned above, where the transport controls disappear. Am I the only one??