Chromecast not playing

meeok2

meeok2

Using android app to cast to Chromecast.

Worked yesterday. Now today won't play.

Choose to connect to my TV, emby logo shows on my TV.

Then when I try to play any video to TV, nothing happens.

Press play = nothing.

Video will play fine to my android phone and emby theater is working great, but no Chromecast!

gstuartj

I've had the same issue. Until a fix is released rebooting the Chromecast and trying again seems to work most of the time.

Sp3kt3r

I have the same issue, nothing play from android apps to Chromecast but works fine if I pay directly on the phone.

meeok2

Tried rebooting Chromecast, emby server, and emby android app. That usually fixes most problems, but not this time. Still won't play for me.

Sp3kt3r

Apps updated with the one released today and now everything is working fine.. :)

Except that sometime when I click PAUSE, the button doesn't change. it remains with the pause button so I can't click PLAY to resume but I have the same problem with the Webclient when casting to Chromecast.. 

It's going in the right direction :) now apps is more than usable :) for me

Edited by Sp3kt3r

i have been doing testing and if you guys can give me some specific sequences that will be helpful.

what i am noticing is that sometimes when you try to connect to the device, it may take up to 10 seconds before it actually connects. during that time human nature kicks in and you go crazy tapping buttons because you think it's not working. and i think that's when it gets funky. so right now for a "fix" i am leaning towards just having a blocking dialog that will wait until it either succeeds or fails.

eduardohanzo
Having the same problem. I try to conect to the chromecast hitting the button on the android app to chose to player in which to play the content. Sometimes it works and the Emby logo shows up on the TV screen, sometimes it does not. But even I manage to conect to the cromecast, when hit the "play" button on the app, nothing happens.

Also, unrelated (or maybe not), something funny started happening today: when I conect to the chromecast from my android phone and it works, the Emby logo will appear on the TV. But if I try to conect to the chromecast from the Chrome web client, the TV will display the old MediaBrowser logo. Don't know what's up with that.

(sorry for any bad english, brazilian user here  ^_^ )

Having the same problem. I try to conect to the chromecast hitting the button on the android app to chose to player in which to play the content. Sometimes it works and the Emby logo shows up on the TV screen, sometimes it does not. But even I manage to conect to the cromecast, when hit the "play" button on the app, nothing happens.

Also, unrelated (or maybe not), something funny started happening today: when I conect to the chromecast from my android phone and it works, the Emby logo will appear on the TV. But if I try to conect to the chromecast from the Chrome web client, the TV will display the old MediaBrowser logo. Don't know what's up with that.

(sorry for any bad english, brazilian user here  ^_^ )

The second part is because they are using two different Chromecast receivers. The app has moved to our newer one. So will the server once the next release is out.

meeok2

Seems to be working better now after update.

REQUEST: Add an option to disconnect Chromecast.

Once connected to emby, there is no way to disconnect other than rebooting Chromecast or connecting another app.

• 3 weeks later...
eduardohanzo

to me it never went back to normal, since my first post on the issue. the problem is still happening to this day, despite all the updates on the app and on the server. I pretty much gave up at this point and went back to Plex a couple weeks ago.

Edited by eduardohanzo

Aztech

Not sure why the app.was rewritten but the performance between the old and the new is crazy.

Old version was very stable and less laggy especially for chromecasting, this version hangs on loading etc...

Sony Z2 and Galaxy S6

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

quaffapint

Having the same problem with the most recent update from a few days ago. Used to work ok (didn't always respond to pause,stop but at least it played). I also noticed that when I selected my CC that the screen changed to the Emby logo, but it didn't cycle through backgrounds like it did in the previous release, I assume that's just another symptom of the problem. I'll also second the request for a disconnect option (if that's possible).

Junkyard

I'm getting this too, however I found if I just keep spamming the play button it will eventually play to the Chromecast. Sometimes it seems to happn after only like 10 presses, sometimes longer... Seems a bit random but I can always get the movie to play eventually. 

cskyrme

I have been experiencing very similar fror the few weeks. I can eventually get Chromecast to play from my android client after playing around (swithing target device between my device and Chromecast) and hitting play repeatedly. I also have significant issues if I use the tablet for something else while a video is casting and try to return to emby client to pause, stop, rewind etc.

I haven't submitted detailed issue reports or logs as the issues seemed to be reported broadly and undergoing frequent development, but I can if it would help.

I am usign various nexus devices.

Thanks for report. We'll have a release out this week that will resolve this.

cskyrme

Will keep an eye out for the update and happily test and report back with details of any outstanding issue. Much appreciate the effort to continually improve.

kenelbow

I'm glad I found this thread.  I borrowed a Chromecast in preparation for an upcoming vacation but can't get anything to play via Emby. Other apps like YouTube and Play Music will cast from my phone just fine.  Is the upcoming update for the phone app or the server?  Does playback require becoming and Emby supporter?  I've been considering doing this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Having the same problem with the most recent update from a few days ago. Used to work ok (didn't always respond to pause,stop but at least it played). I also noticed that when I selected my CC that the screen changed to the Emby logo, but it didn't cycle through backgrounds like it did in the previous release, I assume that's just another symptom of the problem. I'll also second the request for a disconnect option (if that's possible).

Add me to the list of Android app users who have issues casting to Chrome Cast. I have the background not changing issue as well, though it's inconsistent (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't).

As to the not casting issue, at first I thought it was an issue with my LG G4, until I realized the same thing happens with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

For some reason, I seem to have more success casting TV shows. Some of my movies seem to work, some do not. I have not determined whether it's the movie, or the number of attempts to play a movie. I had one movie that simply refused to play, though it played both in the web browser and on my ROKU, so I downloaded a different version. That also would not play. Then tried playing from the "scene selection" section, and it played.

As for other symptoms, I have the same as others have mentioned:

Black screen after hitting the cast button

Unable to return to the Chromecast desktop (must use the Chromecast app)

Sometimes the pause button is unresponsive, etc.

A previous version "seemed" to work MUCH better!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ok guys, the update will start rolling out today, and this will contain the new video player based on Vlc as well as numerous Chromecast fixes. It will be a slow, staged rollout, so if you're one of the lucky ones who gets it first, please make sure to let us know how it's going as that will dictate how quickly we make it available for everyone. Thanks.