LiveTV Recording Format HDHomerun

Erik

Erik

When recording a TV program with my HDhomerun connect the file is saved as .ts does anyone have recommended software to convert them to mkv or mp4?

Also, If someone tell me what format the HDhomerun Extend saves recordings as?

Thanks

PhilWhite

When recording a TV program with my HDhomerun connect the file is saved as .ts does anyone have recommended software to convert them to mkv or mp4?

Also, If someone tell me what format the HDhomerun Extend saves recordings as?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I have Emby TV set only to use my Extend and it saves as .ts.  For conversion to mkv or mp4 I use MCE Buddy because it can strip commercials, convert to either format and move the file wherever I like.

I also use Handbrake but primarily to rip DVDs to mp4.

I think the paid version of MCE Buddy will convert to h264 format, but the Extend transcodes into that format natively.  Handbrake will convert to h264 too.  Handbrake is free.  The makers  of MCE Buddy ask for a 'contribution', but there are older free versions available and if the Facebook promotion is still in play it is cheaper there. 

Erik

thanks @PhilWhite

Just so I understand correctly. The file type still is .ts format, however, the video contained is H264 as its transcoded from the HDhomerun Extend, instead of being a MPEG-2 format that I currently get from my HDhomerun Dual?

Thanks again.

Edited by Erik

PhilWhite

thanks @PhilWhite

Just so I understand correctly. The file type still is .ts format, however, the video contained is H264 as its transcoded from the HDhomerun Extend, instead of being a MPEG-2 format that I currently get from my HDhomerun Dual?

Thanks again.

Yes, as far as I know.  The wrapper is  .ts regardless which model HDHR device you use when recording with Emby TV.  The file format, though, differs.  When using a Connect you will record as MPEG-2 and when using an Extend you record h264 if transcoding is turned on -- or, at least that is my understanding.  I think if you turn of transcoding with the Extend, though, it will transmit/record as MPEG-2.

If you only want to change the 'wrapper' to mp4, then Handbrake is a great way to go.  If you want to strip commercials, then MCE Buddy is a good choice -- but the commercial stripping process takes a while.

Erik

Thanks,

With the MPEG2 .ts files I get via my HDhomerun Connect, the only platform that can play it back (while being transcoded) is my xbox one. The web browser video/ audio is choppy and unwatchable and MBT looks great but the audio is out of sync the entire time. Not sure why, but I'm going to give MCEBuddy a try for changing it to h264 (for the commercial removal feature in there as well).