No Internet = No Emby access (probably)

CBers

CBers

So, I go to watch the latest episode of the best TV series ever made, but I can't as my INTERNET is down.

Shouldn't be a problem I hear you say, but every device I have Emby installed on, needs to have an active INTERNET connection before it will allow you to access any apps.

My device list:

Chromecast

Nexus Player

Amazon Fire TV

Samsung Smart TV

The only devices I can use are my Now TV box (Roku) and my old HTPC which runs Emby Classic, but both are gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.

So, if there's no INTERNET, the chances are, Emby won't work.

So much for modern technology!

• Like 2

TolkienBard

I feel you pain - somewhat. Samsung Smart TVs, even when hardwired to the household network, will not allow the Emby app to work if there is no Internet. For that matter, no app will work at all while there is a lack of Internet or if the Smart Hub is pending an update. It has become somewhat annoying of late, because Samsung has suddenly (over the last 6-8 weeks) become very forced update happy. There have been a number of instance now where I wanted to relax and watch something, only to find I had to wait anywhere from 5-20 minutes while a forced update went through.

But yes, when the INternet goes down, I lose mu Emby access, even though I should be talking straight from display to machine and vice versa.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, I go to watch the latest episode of the best TV series ever made, but I can't as my INTERNET is down.

I just want to know what show that was!

You did make me wonder about my setup. If my Internet was down, I couldn't log-in on my XB1, so I would lose my Pin that links to my server. However, I should be able to manually open IE and enter the IP address. I probably wouldn't bother - I have several devices where I do have the bookmark and hit the web interface. I am pretty sure I have seen my XB1 without anyone actually logged in listed in the Play-to list, so DLNA should be happy.

What I don't know is if there is something goofy with the Video app that requires you to be logged in. If you do, that would suck. I have used the Media player during a Live outage, so I could go the other direction and play the files that way.

You have reminded me how crazy manufacturers have gotten about external connectivity - on your Samsung (I have an older model) you can't use DLNA and/or the Emby app? Does the Emby app force you to use Emby Connect?

TolkienBard

Yes enter the ip manually instead of using emby connect

This will not work for the Samsung Smart Hub. If the Samsung Smart Hub cannot see the Internet, whether one is directly connected to the server or not (via ethernet cable) does not matter. Smart Hub will not allow playback of media, even off the internal network. At that point, one needs to rely on DLNA or a file browser (depending on television BDP model).

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Good to know. I am glad that all my devices work when the internet is down. Rokus, iPhones, Laptops, Samsung Tablet, Kindle Fire HDX. Nothing uses Emby Connect though. The server is on the same subnet but I separated my routers and modem about a year ago so I don't need access to the modem for anything local.

• 3 years later...
CBers

@ You'll be pleased, as I have built 2 Windows 10 HTPCs for my friend to use at his house in France and I installed Emby Theatre to run on them, but ET won't open for some reason - just sits in the taskbar and won't expand.

Does ET require internet access to work correctly? I didn't think they did.

He doesn't have the internet (not currently available where his house in France is), but he has an internal network.

His old HTPC runs WMC and the E4WMC addon and that plays fine without any need for the internet.

The same HTPCs worked fine at my house when I was building them and show g him how ET worked.

Any advice would be appreciated, if you can think why ET wouldn't run OK.

Thanks.

Guest asrequested

To actually run, no it doesn't require the internet. Maybe electron is having an issue? I'd suggest going into task manager and close any electron and theater instances. Theater does require premiere, so that will need the internet, eventually.

• Like 1

CBers

To actually run, no it doesn't require the internet. Maybe electron is having an issue? I'd suggest going into task manager and close any electron and theater instances. Theater does require premiere, so that will need the internet, eventually.

Yes, I thought about Premiere after I posted.

That's going to be an issue for him going forward then  :rolleyes:

CBers

Yes, I thought about Premiere after I posted.

That's going to be an issue for him going forward then  :rolleyes:

His Emby server in France has been there for 2 years without any internet and it never complains about Premier.

I wonder if ET was having an issue running against the version of his Emby server, as I was showing him ET running against my Emby server.

I'll have to get him to bring back his server and HTPC(s).

@@Luke / @@ebr - Any thoughts please ?

mrfragger

I thought the devs mentioned or perhaps it’s posted somewhere that a premiere purchase will require an internet check to one verify the key and second to verify you’re within the 25 device limit. They didn’t t mention how frequent that is but I’m hoping it’s once a month. I don’t think I’ll be offline for much longer than that and if I am it’ll be infrequent.

Edited by mrfragger
  • Like 1

Yes the Premiere check in the apps is very infrequent, once every few weeks.

• Like 1

CBers

Yes the Premiere check in the apps is very infrequent, once every few weeks.

So if an app couldn't phone home due to a lack of internet and validate Premiere, does the app just not load ?

This is the Windows 10 version of ET, not the store app.

Are you planning on working out a better way, as I'm sure there will be many people that won't have internet at holiday destinations?

Just trying to see what I can do to help a friend.

The really stupid thing is, he can play the content from his Emby server via Windows Explorer and MPC-HC etc, totally bypassing Emby.

• Like 1

So if an app couldn't phone home due to a lack of internet and validate Premiere, does the app just not load ?

No, the app will still load.

Gilgamesh_48

Just as a point of info for this thread my internet is often, VERY often, down for short periods, 5-15 minutes, because the rural node I connect to is, shall we say, old and unreliable. But I have never had any hiccup in Emby's functionality on any device I use, Roku, Fire TV and Shield TV. That is Emby has been 100% available locally regardless of the internet situation. But I very rarely have an extended period of internet outage so I guess that Emby's Premier checks have not really had an opportunity to fail often enough for me to notice. 

If my internet and my electricity were half as reliable as my Emby functionality I would be very happy.

• Like 1

Senna

No, the app will still load.

as I'm sure there will be many people that won't have internet at holiday destinations?

I'm also curious which Emby scenario I have to follow on my holiday destination with no internet if I bring an iPad and Apple TV, where the iPad is my host with downloaded (by the Emby iOS app) content, accompanied by a travel router to setup a wifi network with no internet.

As far as I know, the Emby Apple TV app requires internet to even start up, so I guess the combination iOS and tvOS app isn't going to work @@Luke or do I have better luck bringing a Chromecast instead of the Apple TV ?

arrbee99

Dumb question, but would Kodi plus an Emby plugin get round any no internet problems ?

iPad and Chromecast would be fine. We're going to remove the requirement from Apple TV so eventually that would be fine too.

• Like 1