Subtitles

justpig

olerocker

The web browser transcodes?

Well you can still turn the subtitles on and off, there don't seem to be embedded.

If that's the case then a lossless transcoding option might do the trick then.

Edited by olerocker

olerocker

Is there a way to transcode on my local network because I can't connect remotely now for me to test it.

Edited by olerocker

I can confirm that external subtitles (SRT) works perfectly when using "local path" option in add-on setting and "Play from HTTP instead of SMB" is disabled.

You just need to make sure that Kodi sees the same path as Emby does. If you are running Emby on Linux and mounting network shares as local on Emby you need to do the same and using the same local paths as you did on Emby.

For example I'm running Emby server on Linux.

I'm mounting locally on the Emby server a few NFS shares from another file server under /storage.

Now in Kodi I had to the same, and mount the same NFS shares under /storage locally on the Kodi device (a RPi in my case).

Hope this helps to clarify the setup.

For future releases it would be great if the add-on can play media directly from Emby server (without using transcoding) using HTTP instead.

Maybe it's possible since this is how other apps work, Samsung Smart-TV app for example. If the type of media is something that the TV can play without transcoding then Emby will serve it as is, without transcoding it. And at the same time it will serve the subs (the SRT file).

I don't have the exact details tough.

Thanks for this great add-on!

Angelblue05

I don't see how it is possible to append the external srt to a direct stream. Are you sure the content is not being transcoded? 

I've just validated, if you are on your local network you don't even need to have local path, plugin path works as well. As long as it direct plays, you can load the subtitles from Kodi with browse for subtitles. It will open the actual directory where you'll be able to select the srt. Outside the network, direct stream is not modified.

Transcoding however allows you to select the external srt and it burns it into the video. I've just tested it. However direct stream is a no go. @@fc7 can you confirm the file is direct streaming on your other apps you are saying are able to load srt file. Thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok found the solution guys, should be available next beta release for testing. Thanks for your patience! :) 

Angelblue05

Please try version 1.1.35

Let me know if it correctly adds the external subtitles. However note that if you are direct streaming, Kodi does not recognize the language so it will show as Unknown(External) because the path is an http path that ends with stream.srt. It is not fixable. If you are direct playing, it will load your srt directly without going thru Emby and will display the language correctly.

Please try version 1.1.35

Let me know if it correctly adds the external subtitles. However note that if you are direct streaming, Kodi does not recognize the language so it will show as Unknown(External) because the path is an http path that ends with stream.srt. It is not fixable. If you are direct playing, it will load your srt directly without going thru Emby and will display the language correctly.

Awesome! I will test it as soon as I can.

Just to be clear: starting with this version Kodi doesn't need to see the media asset directory to be able to play external subs. Correct?

Another question, using direct streaming (HTTP option in add-on settings), will Emby transcode all the content or only if Kodi requests it?

Thanks.

Edited by fc7

Angelblue05

1- correct, 2- the only time your content is transcoded is if the bitrate of the content is higher than what you selected as video quality in the add-on settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok guys. I'm just coming back to say T H A N K   Y O U!!

Now external subs works perfectly over direct streaming.

At the same time I migrated Kodi and Emby addon from a RPi 1 to a RPi 2.....man this is flying!!

I also tried the new Music feature, it rocks. :)

Right now, I'm playing every type of media with direct streaming, I don't need my HTPi to access the file server anymore, except for backups.

Now with the help of Emby, Kodi addon and RPi 2 running OpenELEC you can have a pretty decent htpc for less than $70. It's amazing.

Cheers and keep up with this amazing work!

Edited by fc7
  • Like 2