Transcoding CPU usage

Asimov

Asimov

I am seeing a huge difference in CPU usage when I compare Plex Media Server with Media Browser. When I play the same movie from the same device from the same server I can see Plex using very little CPU capacity (spikes between 10 and 60 percent) and after a few seconds even less than 5%. When I play this movie using Media Browser the CPU usage is constantly higher than 80% and sometimes drops for a few seconds lower (due to the throttling setting I guess).

The difference is so significant that I am asking myself if I am doing something wrong with Media Browser.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

regards,

David

Edited by Asimov

You're not doing anything wrong. We're working hard to improve it and it is continuing to be reduced with every server release.

nagetech

This has been an issue many users (including myself) have experienced. Luke is working very hard and is making improvements withe every release :) Best way to help would be to try out the Beta and the Dev Builds and report back with logs etc to help them! The more people that jump in and test, the more Emby can improve :)

Asimov

I understand that, and I am prepared to help with logs if a specific use case needs to be examined.

I used to run Media Browser on a server with limited capacity (Atom D510 with 2GB memory) and only stream files that didn't need transcoding. Recently I decided to transfer Media Browser to a stronger machine (a VM on a Q9550 with 2GB memory). Now I can stream any format I use, up to 1080p movies, with ease.

I have to say that, although the CPU usage is high, I can still stream to 3 different devices easilly. So I am satisfied right now.

Still it made me wonder how it is posible for Plex to have such a low impact. More so because I guess that both Plex and MB are using ffmpeg to convert the files.

If I can be of help testing a specific situation let me know.