Metadata directory structure

schmitty

schmitty

Hello,

I was wondering if the directory structure of the metadata could be modified. Instead of randomly generating directories in the metadata directory, have a single directory for each movie or tv series labelled by the name of the movie or tv series. This would help easily identify what the given metadata is for, and also enable Media Center Master to be able to download to the proper location, instead of in the directory the actual media is stored. 

Names of media items are not unique.

If you want a direct relation between the metadata and the media items, select the option to save it with them.

schmitty

That does not make any sense. The media items are unique. If they aren't, then how is it that they are individually named, and referenced in the server?

The structure of my media share is as follows...

\\SERVER\Media\Movies\Movie (Year)\Movie.part.VCO-ACO.Res-Src.ext

\\SERVER\Media\TV\Show (Year)\Season xx\Show.SxxExx.VCO-ACO.Res-Src.ext

The structure of my Emby share is as follows...

\\SERVER\Emby\metadata\library\xxxxxx\xxx

All I am proposing is the Emby structure be modified to...

\\SERVER\Emby\metadata\library\Movies\Movie

\\SERVER\Emby\metadata\library\TV\Show

Instead of the randomly generated directories. I believe it would be a relatively simple modification.

Edited by schmitty

That does not make any sense. The media items are unique. If they aren't, then how is it that they are individually named, and referenced in the server?

By generating a unique ID for them and then using that instead of a file or directory name.

You could have two media files with the exact same physical name but on different servers or root drives both within your library.  Those two files, even though named the same, are not the same item.

yea the only to do metadata by name would be to have it mimic your original folder structure under the metadata folder.

yea the only to do metadata by name would be to have it mimic your original folder structure under the metadata folder.

And it would have to take into account the entire path including server/drive/share.  Very likely this will start to cause directory length errors so I really think the best option is the one we already have - save it with the media.