EmbyTV Info

Luke

farside847

Now that WMC is no longer downloading EPG data for me, I thought this might be a good time to find an alternative. I have been watching the threads around embyTV and it looks cool!

As I understand it, embyTV can do all of the following:

•  work with my HDHR Prime Cable Card tuner (dlna)
  •  work with my Charter cable source
  •  supports the streaming/transcoding of live TV
  •  supports the Roku client for live TV
  •  can record individual shows
  •  can set up season pass recording for favorite shows (new or re-runs)
  •  is stable (no crashes of emby server)

Do all of my assumptions above sound right?

Also, is there a guide on how to set this up the right way? If not maybe I should record my steps and write one :)

Edited by farside847

mediacowboy

That is correct. I do not have Charter but Suddenlink and it works. The one thing you will need is a subscription to Schedules Direct. Which is $25 a year. 

• 2 weeks later...
hifiaudio2

Hey just now found out about Emby TV despite being a long time Emby user.  What are the likely advantages / disadvantages of Emby TV vs the Silicondust DVR?   Both obviously use HDhomerun devices for the tuners.  I am currently beta testing the HDHR DVR... dont like it much so far, especially with no grid style DVR.  Both require $25-30 a year for the EPG, so that is similar.   

Does the EMby TV recording engine just reside on the EMBY server along with the rest of EMBY?  

What program is used to tune live TV and access the DVR?    I think Live Channels was mentioned above.  Does that mean the Google Live Channels app on my Shield works with this natively?  Or only the Emby TV Android app? 

I am using it for USA OTA channels only, by the way.  I have no cable subscription.

And does this stream directly from the feed of the HDHR Connect tuners or require some sort of transcoding from the Emby server? 

And lastly, I assume if I want to test this I need to shut down the Silicondust HDHR record service on the server (same server Emby is installed on),  lest they interact?

Edited by hifiaudio2

l3rian

Does this work with Chromecast? I am unable to cast live channels from my phone to my TV. All other media works fine.

I have the original HDHR-US which also does not have DLNA.  It would be great if you could get it working with the non-DLNA network tuners.

I have the original HDHR-US which also does not have DLNA.  It would be great if you could get it working with the non-DLNA network tuners.

Sorry, but that is not likely.  There is no API for that hardware.

What if the HDhomerun software is installed on the same machine as the Emby server. Wouldn't it be possible to control the tuner without DLNA?

hifiaudio2

You will probably spend more of your time and money trying to find a workaround than just putting up the $70 it takes for a new HDHR Connect.  

mediacowboy

What if the HDhomerun software is installed on the same machine as the Emby server. Wouldn't it be possible to control the tuner without DLNA?

I think this is due able as I believe this is how MediaPortal did it. It could be something the team looks at later down the road. 

To get program data, you will need to sign up with Schedules Direct.

All memberships come with a 7-day free trial.

Direct from their website:

The following membership levels are available:

Member (extended trial)$6

• 2-month membership.
  • Includes access to Listings Service.
  • Good for those people who need more than the 7 day free trial but aren't quite ready to commit to a full year.
  • Does not auto-renew.
  • Only available to natural persons (no corporations).
Member$25

• 1-year membership.
  • Includes access to Listings Service.
  • Does not auto-renew.
  • Only available to natural persons (no corporations).

What about people outside the US?

For example I'm in Spain and would love to try EmbyTV with a HDHR Connect DVB-T tuner.

From where would I get listings data/EPG? Is it possible to get it directly from the the DVB signal like a regular TV does?

Thanks.

I think this is due able as I believe this is how MediaPortal did it. It could be something the team looks at later down the road. 

Exactly!

So it should be doable if someone with the skills could code it :)

You will probably spend more of your time and money trying to find a workaround than just putting up the $70 it takes for a new HDHR Connect.  

Not looking for at work around, as it alreadu exists in using some PVR backend (TVHEADEND).

I just think, that adding yet another component(3rd party software for PVR backend) gives yet another link which can be potentially misconfigured and ruin the experience.

And further more, just buying new stuff isn't very green thinking.

I do agree that u would be much faster just buying an already compatible model will be the faster solution :)

What about people outside the US?

For example I'm in Spain and would love to try EmbyTV with a HDHR Connect DVB-T tuner.

From where would I get listings data/EPG? Is it possible to get it directly from the the DVB signal like a regular TV does?

Thanks.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24470-epg-for-germany/?p=239440

Is it just me or the tuning time after a channel is selected about 5 to 10 seconds?  Is this something that might be improved as the app matures or just the nature of having to deal with WMC no longer being included with windows 10.  Trying to decide if I should stick it out with embytv or go back to windows 8 with serverWMC

BrianG

Is it just me or the tuning time after a channel is selected about 5 to 10 seconds?  Is this something that might be improved as the app matures or just the nature of having to deal with WMC no longer being included with windows 10.  Trying to decide if I should stick it out with embytv or go back to windows 8 with serverWMC

Yeah, that seems to be my experience too. Probably has to do with having to transcode the stream and buffer a bit before displaying it. Personally, I don't mind; I see it as a small price to pay for having live TV available in any device.

• 4 weeks later...
LukeETucker

I currently have both Plex and Emby on my Linux HTPC, I have  Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02) built in also, this is then connected to my satellite, I tried to setup the live tv option last night, but it didn't give me any other option apart from HDHomerun, It would be great if I could fully utilize this.

The live TV is the main reason I am trying Emby, as I want to be able to give up Plex and move to a more all in one option.

Also can't wait to find out if the xbox one app is going to be finalized as this along with the live tv, will make my year.

Keep up the good work guys and gals

I currently have both Plex and Emby on my Linux HTPC, I have  Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02) built in also, this is then connected to my satellite, I tried to setup the live tv option last night, but it didn't give me any other option apart from HDHomerun, It would be great if I could fully utilize this.

The live TV is the main reason I am trying Emby, as I want to be able to give up Plex and move to a more all in one option.

Also can't wait to find out if the xbox one app is going to be finalized as this along with the live tv, will make my year.

Keep up the good work guys and gals

Welcome, and thanks. You can use your existing hardware through the use of a community Live TV plugin. See

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live-TV-Plugins

• 1 month later...

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any plugin support planned for the EmbyTV plugin itself? That's the only thing I'm missing here, so I could use the internal EmbyTV plugin.

I know, maybe it is not allowed to post here about that topic...still if someone could give me a hint if it is at all possoble.

Thanks for all your hard work here :)

Regards

Vlaves

The plugin was rolled into the emby core so if you still have the plugin installed, it's obsolete now.

The plugin was rolled into the emby core so if you still have the plugin installed, it's obsolete now.

Thanks for answering :) That I know already. I was talking about other plugins, which the core would use for some of the streams :)

I was talking about plugins supporting MDAPI interface, like acamd and so on. So I could use the internal EmbyTV with my oscam cardserver and also stream my paytv channels.

Edited by Vlaves
  • Like 1