Movie selection - short list

337Manni

337Manni

When we sit down to watch a movie together we find that we are scolling through our movies list and pick a hand full of movies out which we want to watch but arn't in the mood for, or want to watch now, but only have time for one movie.

It would be great if we could have a Want To Watch list (or short list or any other better name)

A user can scroll through the Movie list and mark movies as Want To Watch.

These will get put into a list as a reminder and can be quickly found and watched next time around.

• Like 5

Raff

Could you not use favourites or collections to accomplish this?

Both require more maintenance than I suspect the OP is looking for.

I would love to see a Queue, which is basically a special playlist that a user can add movies (or shows, or whatever) and show up as a separate list so clients can display it independently of favorites or collections. What sets this apart would be when items are watched, they are removed from Queue. They would not be removed from the other two options without manual intervention.

• Like 1

337Manni

Thanks for the surgestion Vidman, but Raff is right, I was hoping for a quick and easy method, otherwise it wouldn't get used.

Deathsquirrel

To be clear then, you want a version of favorites or playlists that only show unwatched items you've tagged?  I would think that if you want simple you would use the new release list or filter all items to only show unwatched.

Raff

I can't speak for the OP, but neither New Release nor Unwatched would help me. Filtering is good, and serves a specific job well, but not really this.

Use case: Scrolling through my movie list I see Blazing Saddles. I'm not in the mood for a comedy at the moment, but haven't seen it in a while and want to keep it fresh in my mind. I queue it up so that next time I am on the Home screen, it shows up in my Queued list. A couple of days later, I need some Mel Brooks to lighten the day so I watch it. Just like my Netflix and Hulu queues, once I finish it, it is removed from that list.

In this case, we could use Favorites to actually be Queue. Of course, my GF doesn't do it that way (she uses it to keep the stuff she is likely to watch over and over - Brave and Mulan are comfort food to her) so the disadvantage would be that stuff she wants to watch over and over is mixed in with the stuff we just want to watch once. I'm also not sure if Favorites are used to make recommendations in the clients, but that would definitely screw that up if it ever was used that way.

Use Case #2: Next season of Castle is coming up. I want to get caught up before it starts hitting my Hulu queue, so I want to add the last season (when it comes out on DVD) to my "quick watch list". Not sure if this is a bug, but Seasons don't show up under Favorites so that option is out. Creating playlists from Season folders result in the episodes being out of order and having never done it with anything other than music, not sure if there is a clear indicator where you left off. In this case, the menu on the Season would allow me to "Add to Queue" and the episodes would be added in order to my queue. From a UX perspective, it would be nice to just have the poster for the object I added instead of ALL the episodes displayed on the home page.

So, I could create a playlist, but heaven help me if I screw up adding the 22 or 23 episodes by hand! I also can't seem to jump into the middle of the series without the "Next Up" being the earliest unwatched item - so I couldn't just clear the watch status and start with that season (didn't work with Haven, kept showing me Season 1 being next up, when I was trying to get caught up to the next to last season) so then it becomes a lot of clicks just to get the right episodes showing up.

TL;DR version: There might be work-arounds as I am very new to Emby, but a "one click" add to a queue which is then removed from that queue once watched, would be a nice feature. Idealy supported at the server level so it is portable across clients for the user.

It is a good idea that has been suggested before.  It would require both server and app components though so it isn't something that is easy to put in quickly.

337Manni

Raff case 1 is exactly my situation.

Fingers crossed we see this in the future, especially as I only tend to use the web client.

Koleckai Silvestri

Watchlist functionality would be a great feature. Just click a "+" sign and it is added to the list. Watch the movie and it is removed. Very different from using favorites, the new items list or even hiding watched items in the overall library.

• Like 2

ice pube

Watchlist functionality would be a great feature. Just click a "+" sign and it is added to the list. Watch the movie and it is removed. Very different from using favorites, the new items list or even hiding watched items in the overall library.

This is a really good idea.