Netflix Style Next Up Notifications

im85288

swhitmore

I can't seem to figure it out, but sometimes it doesn't popup or play the next. I think it's only when resuming something though. Next time it happens, I'll grab a log.

Edited by swhitmore

SwanStream

I can't seem to figure it out, but sometimes it doesn't popup or play the next. I think it's only when resuming something though. Next time it happens, I'll grab a log.

I've seen the same as posted above, but it wasn't something I was resuming, it was shorts though, very short, like 3min.

im85288

Thanks yes please do and set the log level to debug, I used to experience what your describing quite a bit (or it at least felt that way) when the logic was in the Emby addon and done differently, but haven't had any issues since. It will only select the next episode of it is unwatched and should present the same episode you would see in the "ongoing episodes" widget of many skins.

I've seen the same as posted above, but it wasn't something I was resuming, it was shorts though, very short, like 3min.

Must admit to never testing it with shorts though in theory it should still work as long as there is a next unwatched episode to watch. It may be worth trying out different notification times in the settings to see if that makes any difference (it shouldn't, but worth a try). The way I test is bump up the notification time to something crazy like 6000 seconds and then it should pop up almost immediately on most episodes.

If you can reproduce please set the log level to debug and post a link to it here.

badaas

I had a problem with a resumed episode, it didn't pop up.

I thought it was to do with maybe as it's past the 10% played zone already from resume, no statuses are updated? (very flakey description hehe!)... Also if I skipped through an episode to test, if I didn't let it play from start first for the 10% it didn't kick in at end (this may be fixed as I haven't tested it recently).. :ph34r::)

Edited by badaas

swhitmore

I'm away this week, but when I get home next week I'll do some testing. What Badass said sounds familiar though.

shaefurr

I've had a few issues with it not popping up, but it was my error. The show I was watching was marked as already watched. After I marked the episodes as unwatched again it worked great.

In one instance I was watching season 3 of something and it went to automatically play season 1 episode 1 since season 1 was marked as unwatched :P

Dunno why my watched states are so screwed up lol

• Like 1

im85288

Yeah I think overall it's working consistently. The only reports I've had where it doesn't work is when people are using strm files.

SwanStream

I had another situation with the shorts, first episode I didn't get the notice, played a second manually (ouch, my remote finger! ;) ) and after that one, got the notice. Watched a longer show and didn't get the notice, watched another longer show and did... so something inconsistent is happening. I don't think in my case it has to do with the watched status though I haven't tracked it down enough to produce useful logs yet. But it seems to be a 3 out of 4 it works as expected.

• Like 1

im85288

This addon is now available in the official kodi repository and has been removed from our Beta repository.

For anyone using this addon, please uninstall the version from the Beta repo and get the one from the Official repo. 

Thanks

im85288

Just a little update, the addon now includes an option to include watched episodes and has a new default dialog. See the Kodi forum for details.

Cheers

CBers

How do you disable it ??

I saw it was installed this morning when I updated the beta to 1.0.06.

Thanks.

im85288

How do you disable it ??

I saw it was installed this morning when I updated the beta to 1.0.06.

Thanks.

No it's not installed with the beta update, rather it's included with my Arctic skin (and the FTV one if your using that). To disable do exactly as you would with any other Kodi addon you want to disable, by selecting configure/disable :)

CBers

It was the skin was it. Yes, I did install that on my FTV this morning so it's the same as on my Nexus Player :)

I didn't see the option this morning, but I'll have a look later.

Thanks.

bfir3

I have a question about the functionality. As it is, the add on will prompt you to play the next unwatched item from the series that is playing. In theory, this makes sense, but it doesn't seem to be what is actually happening...at least not for me, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I just watched an episode of a tv series from the second season. I haven't watched any other episodes from this series, and the prompt was to watch the first episode of the second season (which is the first unwatched item in the container), instead of the next episode after the current one that was unwatched.. After marking the preceding episodes as watched, the prompt correctly displayed the following episode.

All of this prompted me to wonder, why don't we just show the next episode of the current series that is available in the library? And if there isn't one, show nothing. I would always want to be prompted to watch the episode which follows immediately even if it is already marked as watched. Why would we assume the user wants to watch the next unwatched episode any more than they would want to watch the episode which immediately follows the current one?

Edited by bfir3

im85288

There's an option in the settings to include watched episodes (as stated a few posts back). This may suit your usage more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dark_slayer

There's an option in the settings to include watched episodes (as stated a few posts back). This may suit your usage more.

I'm not sure this does what he was referring to

I have a similar problem really

My wife hasn't finished watching season 2 of Orange is the New Black so it's marked unwatched (up to s02e04). I'm watching season 3, and it's up to s03e05. Each time a season 3 episode finishes it will try to start s02e04. I don't see how including watched episodes will fix that

Is there any way to always get the next numerical episode to play regardless of watched status?

Also, this is a really nice addition to kodi, great job

dark_slayer

Okay, so instead of thinking so much about it I just tried the setting and now it's working like I wanted. Sorry, I guess the include watched episodes description just didn't make sense to me, but I'm glad it worked

• Like 1

im85288

Okay, so instead of thinking so much about it I just tried the setting and now it's working like I wanted. Sorry, I guess the include watched episodes description just didn't make sense to me, but I'm glad it worked

Great! Yeah maybe the description could be better...though your scenario is probably better handled with multi users. Anyway as long as it works then all good.

chef

This is awesome! I requested this for mbc last year! And I would love to see it in some of the other clients!

I don't use Kodi, as I am waiting for xb1 and currently using the android app... But thanks for getting this plugin going! Hopefully we see more of this across the board!

Well done!

• Like 2

ProphetSe7en

If I start an episode from the widget recently added it wont start the next episode.

I just added some episodes of Orange is the new black and started the first one from the widget, but no next up notification.

I then started episode 2 from TV Show library, and then it worked.

Edited by svortevik

im85288

Strange, it works fine from for example ongoing widgets so I see no logically reason why it's not working from recently added. If you post a log with the Netflix addon log level set to debug I'll take a look. In the meantime maybe try from ongoing to see if it's working from there for you.

CBers

I don't use Kodi, as I am waiting for xb1 and currently using the android app... But thanks for getting this plugin going! Hopefully we see more of this across the board!

Perhaps a stupid question, but does Kodi run on the Xbox One?