Nexus Player - MPEG2 Playback

empireslayer000

empireslayer000

Hi all,

I was just wondering if, since the nexus player (with developer preview M) has MPEG2 hardware decoding now, Live Television could be streamed (for lack of a better term) rather than being transcoded? Or am I missing something? Is .ts remuxed to MPEG2 then transcoded to h264/aac? Thanks for any responses!

I know that this will not effect many individuals but it may also help those running the windows Emby app with Live TV. Just a thought!

Empire

• Like 1

empireslayer000

Here is the file.

I do believe it shows up in there as direct play, but I'm no master, so I shall leave it to you.

Here is the file.

I do believe it shows up in there as direct play, but I'm no master, so I shall leave it to you.

There is no file there...

thanks. i've incorporated this into our device profiles so please try it out on the next release.

empireslayer000

Will this be for the official, beta or Dev release? Thank you for your help as well!

It will need to be in the actual app.

If you PM me the email address associated with the device, I'll add you to the beta group and you can test it out for us.

• 2 weeks later...
empireslayer000

After some testing, I have seen that mpeg2 does not stream to the Nexus Player even with the supported decoder. I tested in a few scenarios.

1.) I created my own DLNA Profile for the Nexus Player using all available headers. No success.

2.) changed the encoding from libx264 to h264_qsv and FFMPEG used for the transcoding process, successfully enabled quicksync however on all recent dev builds, with help from a related post. Still no success.

3.) Live television does transcode though and does work so thats a plus with the setup in number 2.

However I ran into a snag with FFMPEG. The Video for the live streamed television will have an altered resolution, I have no idea why however. This happens on both the one that comes with the Emby Build, my modified version and the "stock" from the developers of FFMPEG. I have a pastebin link with it for convenience.

http://pastebin.com/8EeCgNKi

I think I know the issue but I have no idea how to solve it as I am not that familiar with the inner workings of FFMPEG.

I apologize for the wait! I wanted to get a bit down before I posted anything!

• 3 months later...

Are there any updates on this or has anyone gotten this to work sucessfully? I'm about to buy a Nexus Player and would really like to have this feature

Are there any updates on this or has anyone gotten this to work sucessfully? I'm about to buy a Nexus Player and would really like to have this feature

I think we'll have to wait for Marshmallow on the Nexus Player, which has native MPEG2 decoding, along with a brand new Live TV framework + a whole load of new features, including automatic refresh rate switching. I'm hanging on for this release. It could be a game changer for those looking for a single media playback platform.

• Like 1

I think we'll have to wait for Marshmallow on the Nexus Player, which has native MPEG2 decoding, along with a brand new Live TV framework + a whole load of new features, including automatic refresh rate switching. I'm hanging on for this release. It could be a game changer for those looking for a single media playback platform.

Google announced today that Marshmallow will be hitting Nexus devices next week. Hopefully the devs are tracking this and have something in the works.

We query the device for format support. If the OS reports it there's a chance it might just work. But I guess we'll see

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

The Shield is getting an update announced today to version 2.0 that is supposed to add this support and other goodies! I haven't installed the update yet.

Android 6.0 released today - system images are up and OTA updates being rolled out.  Hope it brings MPEG-2 support to the Nexus Player.

futrader8

Does the Nvidia Shield TV already support MPEG2?  Would be interested if any Shield owners have tried this?

Shield TV has supported Mpeg2 since the 1.2 update in June.

dougw03

Has anyone been able to update their nexus player either manually or OTA? Every article I find are for nexus phones/tablets and can't seem to find one for the player.

Has anyone been able to update their nexus player either manually or OTA? Every article I find are for nexus phones/tablets and can't seem to find one for the player.

Nope.  Still waiting for the OTA.  Things are pretty quiet on Android TV group on Google+ so I suspect they haven't really started OTA updates yet.

Nexus Player image is up for anyone brave enough to manually do it: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en

My Nexus Player has updated itself to Android 6.0. Tried playing some live or recorded TV in mpeg-2 but still transcoding. I've sent up some logs.

I'm running the latest beta 1.1.10gg.

My NP upgraded to Android 6 yesterday. Seemed to go ok, but everything's still transcoding...... Grrrrrrrr. Also, any news on when the ATV Emby app will be able to use the refresh rate switching feature? We really, really need to be able to playback media at the native frame rate.

gdog1977

My NP upgraded to Android 6 yesterday. Seemed to go ok, but everything's still transcoding...... Grrrrrrrr. Also, any news on when the ATV Emby app will be able to use the refresh rate switching feature? We really, really need to be able to playback media at the native frame rate.

I think his answer will be something like "were waiting for VLC to update their app to get these features you ask for".  I know from my experience with a surface 2 and VLC's modern app, it took them 2 years to get a half way working build, so I wouldn't expect anything quickly from VLC.

I think his answer will be something like "were waiting for VLC to update their app to get these features you ask for".  I know from my experience with a surface 2 and VLC's modern app, it took them 2 years to get a half way working build, so I wouldn't expect anything quickly from VLC.

Using VLC for playback is optional. Refresh rate switching is now natively supported on the NP, it just needs to be flagged when the video is playing I guess. Kodi has this feature in 15.1RC.

raven-au

Using VLC for playback is optional. Refresh rate switching is now natively supported on the NP, it just needs to be flagged when the video is playing I guess. Kodi has this feature in 15.1RC.

So how do you get Kodi to frame rate switch?

For me it has never worked on the NP and I have the latest available version.

It's hard to tell just what version it is, other than it's probably later than 15.1 rc1, because various places where the version string is displayed conflict in what they report.