Metadata - original film name

Taurec

Taurec

Hello all,

it would be really helpful to have a data field at the metadata, which contain the original film name.

on my HD the file name corresponds to the name of the film as it was released here in Germany.

That means, i have to search the orginal name to get the right info from imdb.

But if I do that, then I lose the connection between file name and metadata.

In this context, it would be great if the sortname is automatically filled

greeting

Taurec

• Like 17

we do, but we currently just read/write original title to nfo's and dont' really do anything else with it

• Like 1

raptorjr

I live in Sweden and want my metadata on Swedish. But I would like to keep the name of the movie in English.

Most of the times the translation of the movie name is pretty bad, and no one knows what movie it is. So keeping the names in English and getting the resty of the metadata, where available, in Swedish would be great.

Also, as it is now, since not all movies have metadata in Swedish, I get a movie list with mixed Swedish/English names. Dont look very good. Would look better with only English names.

Maybe related to the original request.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I support raptorjr.

I would like to have this feature in emby, which consist of selecting a different language for metadata but keeping English movie names.

I'd like the opportunity to search by original title as well as the translated English title. This way I can look up the title with its original name if I remember it, as well the English one. Would be a really neat feature as it is cumbersome having to look up the the English title for something you already know the original of.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
supermau

I have a lot of foreign movies (Mexican, Chinese, French, Swedish, etc...), the title always shows the english title but I would like to see the original title under the english title like IMDB does, it has original title under the title. That would be great, for example:

Like Water for Chocolate (1992)

(Como agua para chocolate)

Or maybe the other way around:

Wo de fu qin mu qin(1999)
aka "The Road Home"

Edit: I see that "The Movie Database" has the original title field, can we use that and add that field to the movies metadata?

565abe7538ac1_borra.png

So the final result would be something like this:

565ac0c024a45_borrados.jpg

Edited by supermau
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Sweden and want my metadata on Swedish. But I would like to keep the name of the movie in English.

Most of the times the translation of the movie name is pretty bad, and no one knows what movie it is. So keeping the names in English and getting the resty of the metadata, where available, in Swedish would be great.

Also, as it is now, since not all movies have metadata in Swedish, I get a movie list with mixed Swedish/English names. Dont look very good. Would look better with only English names.

Maybe related to the original request.

I´m in the exact same situation. +1

• 2 weeks later...
corrado95

+1

I'd like to have a metadata field for original title to have a better identification by trakt plugin. Apparently movies that have a different title in my country are not recognized by trakt, so they are not syncing correctly. I'll propose to trakt plugin developer the appropriate git push to make everything work when emby'll have a original title field working.

I am wrong. Trakt recognize correctly the title, however it doesn't sync automatically the collection. At this point I'll dig in plugin code directly.

Edited by corrado95

• 5 weeks later...
ginjaninja

id go one stage further and say if the original title is used to find the match on tmdb (because thats how the film is stored on filesystem) then the original title should take preference over the local language title.

Its common to know foreign language films by their foreign language title, without a clue what the local language title is.

but in any case if emby seaches could use all known titles interchangably in searches that would cover the biggest gap imo

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Raithlin

Another voice for this request. I'm looking at the code myself, so if anyone can give any pointers as to where to dig in that would be great.

[uPDATE]

I see the MovieDbProvider already makes provision for Alternate Titles. It would seem the front-end might be lacking then?

Edited by Raithlin
  • Like 1

we do record original title in metadata but the apps just don't make use of it, so not only do we need to add that property to the api, but we have to incorporate changes into every single app. it might just be easier to have the metadata saving process save the original title as the local title ,albeit with some data loss there. 

Raithlin

we do record original title in metadata but the apps just don't make use of it, so not only do we need to add that property to the api, but we have to incorporate changes into every single app. it might just be easier to have the metadata saving process save the original title as the local title ,albeit with some data loss there. 

How about the ability to swop titles in the Metadata Manager? That way you don't need to modify the apps...

On that note, I found the metadata had the same title saved in both Title and alternate title - but that could have something to do with my provider priorities. No worries there.

Can't you already do that manually via cut and paste? is a function really needed? I think enough people have asked for original title that we need to have a way for it to just work automatically. so metadata manager isn't idea. the metadata saving trick of saving original title as local title will work but i don't know if it will have any negative impact on users using standalone kodi + emby for metadata. so that will need research.

Raithlin

Thanks Luke. That's really where I was going with this. I use Kodi and the Emby addon, and am a C# dev. Anything I can do?

Ok, so in re-reading this thread, it sounds like you want to be able to see the original title. Since we already have the data, this is just a matter of getting it onto detail screens.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Ok, so in re-reading this thread, it sounds like you want to be able to see the original title. Since we already have the data, this is just a matter of getting it onto detail screens.

Seems like a few different requests around movie identification in ui, in searches, and for metadata matching.

I dont think its not so much about 'just' showing metadata but moreso which of those 3 functional areas are supported by that design.

All 3 functional areas require emby is aware of more (all?) Languages for film names and also 2nd order characteristics like language detected in how the film is named on file system and original language.

For movie identification in ui,

Eg show 'all movies'

Users want to choose the language that movies are primarily shown as.

English rather than sweedish was example given.

Some logic is required to determine order of preference for a films primary name.

Perhaps a stored procedure in the database could keep primary name synced to users preference without causing unneccesaary load at run time.

(Example) Order of preference=

[Manually entered sort name]

User selected language1 (eg english)

Language film was matched (detected) in

My language defined in emby (sweedish)

Original language of film.

In searches,

Perhaps emby search could match on all names of a film (and show the matched name as the name of the match)

In metadata matching,

If there are known languages that trakt and imdb prefer, perhaps they can be used in preference when they exist

No doubt painful to accomodate all, and possible contradiction with sort name function. Logic might be, if user has gone to trouble of populating sort name then use sort name above all else. (Inserted into example above).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 2

for now what i'm going to do is add it to the metadata editor, then add a setting similar to imdb that dictates whether or not original title should be preferred for display. this is going to be a system-wide setting and not in user preferences, since SortName is system-wide I think making it user-based may cause confusion.

it's already been added to the metadata editor in dev and beta

• Like 2

Ben Z

@@Luke

When you say the one preferred for display, is it only inside emby? Or it will also be used, let's say, with the kodi addon?

lorac

How do I access this feature? I need the movies to have the English title not the foreign one.

• 5 months later...
politby

How do I access this feature? I need the movies to have the English title not the foreign one.

+1

Has this been implemented?

lorac

It would be much easier if the films just had their English title. Using the meta data editor isn't really a solution for large numbers of films.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

This seems to be a complex field, but anyway…

I have a lot of non-english movies in languages I speak (french, german, italian) as well as japanese, chinese, russian and so on.

It would be great (for me) if I was able to select folders as containing movies in a specific language, and tell Emby to show movie titles as well as movie descriptions in that language (the ones I understand) or to use english (the others).

If there is a way to do that, I haven't found it (yet).