Emby for Kodi

xnappo

xnappo

Angelblue05,

What is the use and/or advantage of entering network credentials in the addon settings? Is that related to accessing your content remotely? I am not too clear on this. Sorry for the noob question and thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart

This depends on how your network is set up.  If you are using SMB shares, they likely need a password if hosted from Windows.

Angelblue05

You can always set it within Kodi by navigating to the share via files > add videos. Kodi will ask you for the credentials, and then you can select to remember. This way, it should work without entering them in the add-on settings.

bartolomesoriano

This depends on how your network is set up.  If you are using SMB shares, they likely need a password if hosted from Windows.

Thanks! Got it.  All my media is on a NAS, so this is not something that I have needed to do.

Pretty sure Google play music integration has been requested before if you search (search isn't working in Tapatalk on my tablet ATM) you can add your vote/comment to that thread

mmm i actually cant find, and search gives me all kind of results nothing to do with google music lol

hifiaudio2

If the PC that is hosting the shares does not have a password set up, does this cause issues?  I know of some software I have used in the past that required there to be a user/pw to work correctly.

puithove

Guys,

Are you aware of this change in Kodi Jarvis? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7561 I think this changed the db version, so I would think that this requires a change in the Emby for Kodi addon.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

They're aware.  They've repeatedly said they do not officially support any version of Kodi other than the current stable release (especially not trying to keep up with every nightly change) - I believe it's in the wiki or something somewhere too.

But:  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25005-latest-nightly-breaks-e4k/

bartolomesoriano

They're aware.  They've repeatedly said they do not officially support any version of Kodi other than the current stable release (especially not trying to keep up with every nightly change) - I believe it's in the wiki or something somewhere too.

But:  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25005-latest-nightly-breaks-e4k/

Thank you! I had been away for a few days and had not seen that :)

• 2 weeks later...
xnappo

1.1.39 has been released to stable:

NOTE: This version of the addon starts tracking the version of the addon the DB was created with.  The first time you run, it is not going to know, so it will ask you if you created it with at least version 1.1.33.  Please do your best to answer correctly :)  If your DB was created with an older version you will need to reset.

More info about the new music option:

Music library works differently from the Video library. It does not allow us to have the same flexibility by using plugin paths. So if you plan on using your music library outside your network, you will need to enable the setting to Direct stream music and reset your library. This means we insert into your database an http link to your server rather than the actual network path. This is necessary as the paths inserted into the database are unchangeable (unable to go from network path to direct stream, and vice versa).

Changes:

• Added new fast startup sync feature.(plugin required)
  • If having the auto caching images setting enabled was causing an issue while syncing, this should now be resolved. Other improvements have been made regarding widgets refresh rate for new content, theme media and direct paths.
  • Contains a fix for the cast order presented on the video info screens. It is restricted to Kodi 15 and onwards.
  • Added the option to delete movies after playback
  • Resume jumpback (in seconds)
  • Precise resume points
  • Theme media - direct stream syncing
  • Cast order should be the same as Emby's for Kodi Helix and Isengard
  • Genres - Clean up genres if modified, as well as correctly display Genres for TV shows.
  • Masterlock - We now create sources during the first initial sync. This means your library should now display when using Masterlock.
  • Error during login - due to Emby "disable access user preferences" setting.
  • Plugin paths now support mediaflags (bluray, 3D, etc) and should properly reflect this when navigating your Kodi library (MQ cases, etc.).
  • Kodi audio and subtitles track should now be remembered after being changed.
  • Make report progress to Emby more accurate
  • Remote command should now be accepted during the first minute of playback.
  • The library syncing process was moved to it's on thread. In general, the add-on should perform faster and be more responsive. Especially at startup.
  • Improved information logging (1) so you are able to see the exact content being processed.
  • Allows video themes to be excluded when syncing theme media, contains a fix for non persistent settings and for local media flags
  • Fixes the missing duration from home widgets
  • We are now processing your music in batch of 200 items. You might see the scan get stuck at one point, it's very normal since the add-on is pulling all the data from your server for the next section to process. For music, we process the sections in the following order after boxsets: Artists, Albums, Songs.
  • Moved the Date string from the path to a param for the Get Change list API endpoint.
  • Season fanart is added
  • Last date added is fixed for albums (will require a resync to correct your current listing)
  • Server restarting message has been added. Enable it under the advanced tab of the add-on settings.
  • Fix for nextup episodes
  • Fix for transcoding not properly ending the ffmpeg process
  • Added webclient remote control command to select the audio stream and subtitles
  • You can now pre-select the audio and subtitles track when transcoding
  • Fix playback error causing incremental sync to fail after playback ended. It should be back to normal now!
  • Fix aspect ratio. Take into account metadata aspect ratio.

• Fix flag for NR

• Improve logging for transcoding playback

• Implemented userdata update only

• Added progress dialog for incremental sync.

• Added the option to start Kodi session with permanent additional users.

• Fix for userdata hanging the incremental sync when music is not enabled in the add-on settings.

• Fix error in reporting to the server, when playing music.
  • Fix for reset not working from within the add-on settings.
  • Added external subtitles as selectable tracks for direct play and direct stream.
  • Added option to direct stream music library - useful for out of network playback.
  • Added extra setup dialog for the new music option.
  • Add some upper limits to the number of items that can be processed in an Inc Sync, 1k is current limit, if higher than this it will fall back to full sync.
  • Fixed a bug in Box Sets, they were only ever imported if show progress was set
  • Fixed removing movies form box sets, movie will now correctly be removed from a box set on sync
  • Only process box sets that have been altered when Inc Sync runs.
  • User server time instead of client as the last sync time to remove any clock drift
  • Add a user setting for max items in change set for inc sync, default 1000
  • Preparation for Jarvis (currently unsupported)

• Detection of version of addon DB was created with

• Preliminary support for mixed content (please test!)

• Preliminary support for having 'ViewStyles' turned off (please test!)

• Like 9

Some questions

- About genre art, i have nice genre art in my emby server, are those art , auto used by kodi in skin then?

- about concerts: what do i do to scrape this correctly? those arent movies, nor music videos... i dont want them to be part of my movies either...

Hi,

A couple of my machines have been updated with the new plugin and now I cannot playback any media?  I can see the media and it syncs OK but when I try to play anything back it just says check the logs for more information.

I have re-installed the plugin and it has done a full re-sync but it will not play, I am using Kodi on a Android box and a Windows 10 PC both were working fine before update but now won't play.

If someone can direct me to the logs I will post if needed.

• 1 month later...
Angelblue05

Version 1.1.60

As a reminder, we are now following emby views for your library section. Make sure to go into your emby webclient > user icon(right side) > settings > home screen settings > My views are set as you want them to appear in Kodi. Also, in the same place, View styles should be enabled for your sections, otherwise they will be treated as mixed content in Kodi.

Note: This version will force you to reset your database for the new changes. 

New:

• On initial sync, the option to use direct paths will now be offered. Your paths should be UNC paths for direct paths to work correctly: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/
  • Add "ask to play trailers" option in the add-on settings > playback
  • You can now disable Emby cinema mode per Kodi device, in the add-on settings > playback. This does not affect Emby server cinema mode settings. It is simply in place if you wish to have cinema mode enabled on your server, but don't wish to have it enabled for the current Kodi profile.
  • Instead of presenting a dialog when direct play fails, fall to direct stream with a notification.
  • Emby tags are now supported. You can use them to filter your Kodi playlists.
  • Backdrop/fanarts changes will now reflect instantly in Kodi
  • Date added will now update if modified in the emby metadata manager
  • Report playback for music
  • Add a visual warning when Kodi is incompatible with our add-on

Fix:

• Playback rework. This should affect trailers and additional parts. For dvd menus, the additional parts are the next item to play in the playlist. When finishing the first part, if it doesn't move to the next item due to a dvd menu, simply skip to the next item and it should start playing the additional parts.
  • Play strm files regardless of playback method.
  • Revise transcoding properties
  • Fix studio names to display properly in Kodi.
  • Fix DTS-HD MA display
  • Fix the double mark as watched - this should correct the duplication issue with the Trakt server plugin
  • Fixed the issue where the first item in a playlist would sometimes be skipped.
  • Revise "offer delete" settings
  • Ignore channels from the syncing process
  • Fix for albums being added as singles
  • Fix database locking if Kodi scan happens to run at the exact same time.
  • Fix to music multi disc tracks ordering
  • Fix to prioritize album artists and fall back to song artists if album artists are missing.
  • Fix to music videos
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
Angelblue05

Version 1.1.62

• Added some UI messaging to Sync Thread exceptions and crashes
  • Only save the last sync time if the sync worked 
  • Fix connection to database staying open
  • Fix artwork cache delete
  • Add option to force transcode 1080P/H265
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Angelblue05

Version 2.2.0

The add-on went through a major refactor to improve speed and stability. The initial sync should be faster. You will need to reset your database, but if all goes well, this should be the last time it's needed! (exception being switching between add-on and direct paths mode). Let us know what you think of the update, enjoy everyone!

New:

• Home Videos support
  • Pictures support
  • Emby context menu options available in Isengard or Jarvis.
  • Music ID3 reading for tags: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings#music-metadata-options-not-compatible-with-direct-stream
  • Network credentials moved to passwords.xml
  • Convert server query urls to {server}/emby/ for proxy
  • Automatically try to use the fast sync server plugin
  • Notification when new content is added, found in the add-on settings > advanced
  • Skip delete confirmation for the context menu option in the add-on settings > extras
  • Add multi-episodes naming to content's title
  • Emby view changes are reflected instantly. If you rename the view, you can either restart Kodi to see the change, or in the webclient > user icon > settings > home settings and press save.
  • Automatically create playlists after emby user views. Convenient to quickly create your home shortcuts!

Fix:

• Support strm when using Native paths (direct paths)
  • Music videos creating an additional entry when opening the info dialog
  • Fix for image caching causing a crash during the initial sync on rpi devices. If you had this issue, you can find the option in the add-on settings > sync options > Limit image cache import threads (You can start with 25 threads and lower as needed)
  • Changing our transcode approach with subtitles. You will now select the subtitles, emby will extract the subtitles (unless extracted previously or it's an external subtitle), it will takes a few moment, then the subtitles is appended to the player. It should give a better outcome and allow playback to start, instead of asking Emby to burn the subtitles to the video (which resulted in failure to play 95% of the time).
  • Various bug fixes
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 4

Angelblue05

Version 2.2.4

Quick follow up patch to version 2.2.0.

New:

• Offer delete dialog after playback now times out after 2 mins

Fix:

• Fix issues with resume points and other bugs to do with ending playback
  • Fix artist/album link for music videos
  • Fix progress dialog when the manual sync runs at start up
  • Fix encoding error caused by special characters in emby username
  • Dialog crash during the manual sync
  • Fix duplicate view entries if you grouped views in emby
  • External subtitles being appended to direct play (when using addon playback)
  • First attempt at keeping Kodi awake during the initial sync
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Angelblue05

Brand new:

Our Kodi repositories, both stable (now 1.0.3) and beta (now 1.0.5) received an update. Remember, you can install both side by side. If you do, remember to turn disable automatic updates which is usually found in the side panel. This will give you control over when to update your add-ons.

We have a new, more convenient way to install the repositories (no side-loading). It will also be used to host custom builds used for troubleshooting (alpha). http://emby.media/co...ading/?p=308436

1. In the file manager, add the Emby Kodi source: http://kodi.emby.media
  2. Install from zip > Emby Kodi source you just created > Install one or both repositories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 2.2.10

Note we had to update the dependencies for the emby add-on as well. When checking for update available, you will see 4 emby updates, which is normal.

New:

• Keymap shotcut to delete emby content using: RunPlugin(plugin://plugin.video.emby?mode=delete). The skip confirmation deletion does apply, please be careful with enabling the setting. It may take a few seconds to see the content disappear (this is a shortcut for the Emby context menu options > Delete)
  • Prevent screensaver from activating during the initial, manual and repair sync
  • Add generate a new device Id option, found in the add-on settings > advanced (Useful if you plan on copying your setup from Kodi to other devices)
  • Offer to delete cached thumbnails upon database local database reset

Fix:

• Breaking fix for views. You will notice duplicates in your video nodes. When you have a moment to spare, run the refresh playlists/nodes action found by launching the emby add-on (this is not reversible). Your homescreen shortcuts actions will need to be redirected to the new playlists/nodes. New installs are not affected by this. This was a necessary change. Sorry for the inconvenient  :(
  • Fix pictures, the shortcut should now appear under photo add-ons > emby.
  • Fix grouped views not adjusting
  • Fix view shortcuts to follow emby ordering. This changes the Emby.nodes.X ordering (automatically created shortcuts and via launching the emby add-on). This does not change the video nodes ordering.
  • Fix ssl client certificate verification
  • Fix resume
  • Prevent artwork deletion from crashing the add-on
  • Fix to import virtual season artwork
  • Fix unicode errors
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
Angelblue05

Version 2.2.19

New:

• Add option to refresh Emby items via context menu
  • Add string translation (Dutch, Russian, Swedish and Spanish)
  • Progress dialog always shows for full sync
  • Add (if item count greater than) to options for inc sync progress dialog display, found under add-on settings > sync options
  • Limit artwork loading to 25 threads by default
  • Don't auto fall back to HTTP streaming if direct file play is selected
  • Add option to disable external subtitles for direct stream since we can't label them, found under add-on settings > playback

Fix:

• Fix crash when device wakes up
  • Various bug fixes - direct streaming, datetime, context menu, live tv not changing channel (partial fix)
  • Minor fixes - Live TV, RecursiveItemCount, SeriesName, SeriesId errors
  • Fix the delete option
  • Fix strptime error
  • Temporary fix for database being locked (can be enabled under the add-on settings > sync options) : Only enable this setting if you experience database locked errors often. This will slow down the syncing performance. A permanent fix is in the works.
  • Fix watched status failing to update if offer delete after playing is enabled but skipped
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
Angelblue05

Version 2.3.4

Emby Connect

Emby Connect has been implemented to provide a way to identify yourself and select the main server to be synced to Kodi. This means at this time, you will find the option to sign in the add-on settings, but it won't do anything if you are already logged in. However in the future, it will allow us to add features such as supporting access to multiple Emby servers within one Kodi profile. Other servers won't be synced to the Kodi database, but will be accessed as plugin listing which can be added to your home screen.

Report metrics (google analytics)

We've added a way to monitor the Emby for Kodi add-on usage and errors. The data is collected anonymously, no personal information is reported. The goal is to help fix issues that are not always reported by users. This also gives us a better sense of what should be worked on. You can always disable this by going to the add-on's settings > advanced > Disable analytics report metrics, but consider leaving it on, as it allows us to provide you with a better performing add-on.

We are always looking for people to help translate the add-on. If you are interested, please contact me by PM with your email address and languages you want to translate. I'll get you setup. 

Add:
  • NEW! Default to HTTP playback out of the box, when selecting add-on playback mode. To use Samba (SMB), the option can be disabled via add-on settings > playback. We all agreed, this would be the most user-friendly approach to achieving Direct Play for new users. Note, this change only effects new installs.
  • NEW! Option to sign in using Emby connect when you first set up.
  • NEW! Backup option. Find out more: https://github.com/M...ore-from-backup
  • Design revamp for the initial setup process and the emby context menu.
  • Automatic detection of internal/external server address
  • Repair sync can now be filtered by content type (movies, tvshows, musicvideos and/or music if enabled)
  • Sync season name for Kodi Jarvis and higher. This will only effect naming moving forward. Refreshing individual seasons in the Emby metadata manager, or via the Emby Kodi context menu option will update the season naming. You can also run a repair sync by launching the Emby add-on.
  • Catch any errors when processing content. The server api is constantly evolving, this will help prevent the add-on from crashing due to unexpected changes. Currently, it will fail silently with a log message, but eventually there will be a visual indicator, if something is wrong when adding or updating your content.
  • Support series pooling. This will require to reset of your local database. Once content is fully re-synced, proceed with a manual sync to apply series pooling. This will eventually be updated to become a seamless process.
  • Support favorite episodes
  • Move the device Id to a permanent location to outlive the reinstall of the add-on - thanks @Delphi
  • Support German MPAA rating. You will need to reset or repair your local database to apply the change.
  • Automatically download external subs with language tag for direct streaming, this allows external subtitles to properly display in Kodi (supports any encoding)
  • New setting to disable the Emby context menu in the add-on settings > extras
  • New setting under add-on settings > extras > display message. This control how long messages received will display for.
  • Expand the video quality selection setting (25/30/35 Mpbs) - thanks @3lysium
  • Adjust music direct stream option to avoid transcode and use the proper file extension - you will need to repair your music library to apply the changes.
  • Translation updated for German, French, Portuguese, Russian and Dutch

Fix:

• Review the music import process to fix a few existing discrepancies between Kodi and the webclient. You may need to do a repair to fix existing issues. If the issue still persist, please try a reset of your local database.
  • When a video library is disabled for the user, the add-on will automatically remove content that belongs in Kodi; it replaces the need to run a manual sync to remove the content that no longer belongs
  • Rework manual sync
  • Navigation not waking up display
  • Filter music from the fast sync plugin if music is disabled in the Kodi profile
  • Fast sync being used to save update times when plugin is not installed
  • TV Show detection when verifying if the series exists when using native playback mode.
  • Ubuntu importerror crash
  • Restart server behavior in the add-on to re-apply post capabilities
  • Virtual episodes crashing the library sync
  • Platform detection - thanks @Delphi
  • Specials -1 bug (you'll need to refresh problematic specials episode to correct the issue moving forward)
  • Set Subtitles and Disable Subtitles web command
  • Playstate-Delete content conflict
  • Path validation when there's special characters (umlaut, etc)
  • Fix some encoding issues
  • Error logging metric throttling
  • Other minor fixes
Edited by null_pointer
  • Like 7

Angelblue05

Version 2.3.6

This is the last stable release for a while. It's a very small one. I hope the switch from 2.2.19 to the latest stable went smoothly for everyone. Stay tuned for the next beta release, there will be more goodies to come!

• Update French translation
  • Fix screensaver not being reapplied with it's original settings during the syncing process.
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Angelblue05

Version 2.3.49

Changes:

• Update the websocket url for reverse proxy. wss://{server}/embywebsocket?api..
  • Add Polish translation

Fixes:

• Music support for multiple Emby music libraries
  • Music direct stream to use the original file container rather than defaulting to mp3 (a repair sync will update your music with this fix)
  • Subtitles to use original file container rather than defaulting to srt
  • Network credentials using backslash for domain in their username
  • Playback report to your Emby dashboard
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 4