Emby for Kodi

xnappo

bartolomesoriano

Good morning,

Just wanted to congratulate the team on a great addon! I finally switched from mySQL to Emby for Kodi and Emby Server for my Windows 10, Kodi 16 Jarvis laptop.  I am really pleased with the results, including the incremental sync.  Yesterday I synced my library to trakt.tv using the Kodi trakt.tv addon, and that worked great also!

I have a large collection (3,300+ movies, 250+ TV shows, 8,000+ episodes), so I will continue testing to make sure there is nothing amiss.  So far, so good!

I have decided for now not to use Emby for Kodi and Emby Server for my music collection (again, really large, 145,000+ songs).  It seems that Emby is not yet suited for a very large collection, since I tried to scan my library and it failed several times.  This is OK for now, I will use native Kodi library for music.  It might be interesting to take a look at how Plex is handling large music libraries, since that has worked well for me, but I want to consolidate everything and just use Emby!

Again, great job on this, thank you so much!

Regards,

Bart

• Like 2

xnappo

By Plex do you mean PleXBMC?  They are just using the 'old' traditional addon method(which we could switch to if we have to).  Once we get it working it will be faster the way we are doing it.

Can you post a log of music scan failing?

Thanks,

xnappo

bartolomesoriano

xnappo,

I meant Plex Server, they made a lot of improvements in music collection management.  I will re-add my music collection path and scan the library again.  Which log would you like, the Emby Server log?

Regards,

Bart

xnappo

If it is added to the server fine, then just the addon (kodi) log.

Thanks,

xnappo

Angelblue05

The music is fixed in beta. No need for logs. Just need to wait for stable to be updated.

The issue was the query to the server request for all items at once which would timeout or crash for large music libraries. It is fixed by requesting items 200 at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

I thought he might be using the beta, agree if you are using stable, try the beta.

Angelblue05

Indeed. You have many songs, which will take longer than 20mins to pull from your server. It will seem stuck at the end of adding your albums, but it's simply because we are pulling the entire list of songs from your server. Once it has all the songs, the syncing will proceed to processing your songs and it should fly by. Do not touch or turn off Kodi during that time, or you'll have to start over (and regather the songs again next time you restart Kodi)

Just letting you know what to expect. It will look stuck when it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

bartolomesoriano

Thanks guys for your responses.  I re-added today my music collection to Emby server, I am waiting for the library scan to finish before I attempt to sync with Kodi.  The library scan has been running for several hours, I will be patient.  I will let you know how it goes with the sync.

Regards,

Bart

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

New to emby here.

Might give it a try to install server on unraid and have kodi the addon..

However some questions

Whats difference between this liv topic and beta topic?

- do smart playlists (depending on path) still work in kodi then?
- do shortcuts to some path in main menu on kodi to my unraid server still work then?
- does trakt still work? (even rating?)
- does cinema experience still work?

Angelblue05

Hi @@skank

1. Only if you enable the local path instead of plugin path in the add-on settings and sync your library with the option enabled.

2. Not sure I understand your question.

3. Emby has it's own trakt, however you can decide to still use the Kodi one instead.

4. Emby provides it's own cinema experience. However if you want to use the Cinema add-on instead, you'll need to use local paths in the Emby add-on settings.

So using local paths means you can't use direct stream or transcoding. However, following what you asked, I'd say local paths is what you want for your setup. :) If you use local paths, it's important for you to set up your library sections in your Emby server as network shares instead of a local computer path (example: C:\media) so all your devices are able to locate your files on network.

Hi @@skank

1. Only if you enable the local path instead of plugin path in the add-on settings and sync your library with the option enabled.

2. Not sure I understand your question.

3. Emby has it's own trakt, however you can decide to still use the Kodi one instead.

4. Emby provides it's own cinema experience. However if you want to use the Cinema add-on instead, you'll need to use local paths in the Emby add-on settings.

So using local paths means you can't use direct stream or transcoding. However, following what you asked, I'd say local paths is what you want for your setup. :) If you use local paths, it's important for you to set up your library sections in your Emby server as network shares instead of a local computer path (example: C:\media) so all your devices are able to locate your files on network.

1. whats difference between local path and plugin path for user?

2. might be the same as 1 though, i meant on main menu we can have shortcuts to for example a path containing movies

3. Nice so sync could be done by emby, but what about rating? So in short xwhat are advantages over emby's trakt  vs kodi trakt

4. Can you tell me what emby's cinema experience contains? They are just trailers before movies? Or is it more? Anywhere i can see this in a video?  Could you explain me more

5. Music Library-> is it possible that emby populates the music library from googe play music? I have a google play music account and "created my own library in there". Could this populate emby and so kodi?

You say that using local paths means i cant use direct stream or transcoding.. this means it wont stream to ipad then?

I cant mix both? say use local path for kodi but do use plugin path for ipad and tablets or phones?

Edited by skank
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

1. Sorry I meant to say direct path, not local path. It is in place mostly for  low end device, to speed up the playback. I use plugin paths (default mode) on my firetv stick and playback is near instant. Plugin paths allows the add-on to control playback. With direct paths, this means we can't change the path from local to direct streaming and transcoding.

2. There's many ways of separating your library. The most used is with tags. We tag items like they are separated in Emby so this allows you to easily partition your library in logical groups if you wanted. The only filter that does not work with plugin paths are paths, because the paths looks like plugin://plugin.video.emby/...

3. I don't use rating. But the trakt for emby doesn't have the feature, so that's why I suggested keeping using the kodi one. You'll have to test, but it should work regardless of the path type you choose (direct or plugin)

4. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Cinema-Mode

5. I'm not sure on this one, maybe a Feature request?

You can certainly mix and have certain devices with plugin paths and others with direct paths. What's important to understand is if something depends on Kodi having access to the real directory before playback starts then direct paths are what will be required. The only thing I can think of is cinema experience add-on requires to see inside the real directory so it would only work, I believe, with direct paths. You can test and let us know. The only negative about using our add-on is that it's in constant development at the moment. :) Don't forget to back up your userdata folder on your first installs just in case you are not happy with it.

You can follow our progress here: https://trello.com/b/qBJ49ka4/emby-for-kodi

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Guess im stuck with direct path cause of cinema experience addon and cause i truly need to use filter "path"?

Otherwise some widgets in kodi wont work for me

I hate tagging manually  though so no option for me

I've seen cinema mode of emby now, it looks good too but way smaller than the complete cinema experience of kodi's addon. So i'll pass there

So although i would prefer plugin path, i'm forced to use direct path

The only downside i see with direct path, is that emby wont transcode the big movie files then to my ipad

Is that true?

Angelblue05

That is correct. So you could have your ipad set up with plugin paths, you wouldn't have the cinema experience on it. You could use direct paths for your main htpc only. You just can't have transcode/direct streaming and cinema experience add-on on the same Kodi profile.

As for the tags, nothing is done manually. The add-on automatically tags your content per your library sections in Emby. What you'd have to do is create a playlist and filter by tags and just pick the ones you want basically.

Vidman

Also hopefully the new ios emby app will be available in the itunes store very soon so you could just use that on your ipad and have access to all of embys features.... Unless you want to use cinema experience on that too? I don't know why you would want to tho

• Like 1

I'm mixing things up i think

I thought setting direct vs plugin path was set up on server side...

I'm wrong so it seems

I dont need cinema experience on ipad

Let me explain

I have couple of decices:

- 1 in living room (doesnt need cinema experience addon, needs to play movies straigth away without transcoding or touching the movies)

- 1 in my home cinema (does need cinema experience addon, without transcoding or touching movies)

- tablets (doesnt need cinema experience, needs transcoding  cause movies are too heavy otherwise)

However, on the tablets i dont need kodi, if theres an emby player, that can connect to the emby server, thats ok for me (but i do need transcoding)

Transcoding is done at serverside no?

So when i use kodi in home cinema and living room, emby wont touch the movie right? and when on ipad , it will?

For the tags i'll explain

On my unraid server i have these folders:

- \movies \3d movies kids

- \movies\3d movies

- \movies\kids movies

- \movies\movies

in kodi i have set up the main library to contain all 4 paths

then i have a playlist that shows me path: 3d movies and 3d movies kids

then another one for 3d movies kids and 3d movies

Also hopefully the new ios emby app will be available in the itunes store very soon so you could just use that on your ipad and have access to all of embys features.... Unless you want to use cinema experience on that too? I don't know why you would want to tho

ha :) you're too fast, look at my post up ;)

Vidman

In emby you would want to add each folder as a separate movie library... Then you can choose to show them separately or combine them. .. You could even set up a kids user and only allow them access to the kids movies

Also don't bother with the current ios app (if it is still in the store) as it is no longer being developed

Edited by Vidman

Angelblue05

I'm mixing things up i think

I thought setting direct vs plugin path was set up on server side...

I'm wrong so it seems

I dont need cinema experience on ipad

Let me explain

I have couple of decices:

- 1 in living room (doesnt need cinema experience addon, needs to play movies straigth away without transcoding or touching the movies)

- 1 in my home cinema (does need cinema experience addon, without transcoding or touching movies)

- tablets (doesnt need cinema experience, needs transcoding  cause movies are too heavy otherwise)

However, on the tablets i dont need kodi, if theres an emby player, that can connect to the emby server, thats ok for me (but i do need transcoding)

Transcoding is done at serverside no?

So when i use kodi in home cinema and living room, emby wont touch the movie right? and when on ipad , it will?

For the tags i'll explain

On my unraid server i have these folders:

- \movies \3d movies kids

- \movies\3d movies

- \movies\kids movies

- \movies\movies

in kodi i have set up the main library to contain all 4 paths

then i have a playlist that shows me path: 3d movies and 3d movies kids

then another one for 3d movies kids and 3d movies

- 1 in living room - Leave as default

- 2 home cinema - Direct paths

- 3 tablets - Leave as default

Transcoding is done server side. How it works with plugin paths is it will try direct play first, then direct stream and finally transcoding.

In Emby, just set up your library sections per individual folders. Then the tags will be 3d movies kids, 3d movies etc. Then in Kodi* you can create your playlist using the tags and have the same result without using paths to filter.

You can also create more than one user/profile. It's very easy to set up parental control and only have your kids access specific library sections, etc.

Edited by Angelblue05

Nice, i'm beginning to like emby more and more

Ill try this weekend.

Thx for all the help !

You'll probably see me here more and more lol.

Where can i suggest to have kodi's music database be filled with content from my own library in google music?

• Like 1

Vidman

Pretty sure Google play music integration has been requested before if you search (search isn't working in Tapatalk on my tablet ATM) you can add your vote/comment to that thread

• Like 1

ok

Forgot another question

My kodi player in living room is an android media player

To play my 3d movies and all other movies, it uses its own player (so external player in kodi)

For this a wrapper is needed.

Will this bring any playbackproblems when using emby server side and emby kodi addon?

Can i expect troubles?

Edited by skank

Angelblue05

Other people have tried and it was working fine for them with plugin paths. The actual path is returned before the external player starts so it should be fine. Just do not enter your network credentials in the add-on because we include them in the path and because of it, will fail to load the file in your external player (really meant for Kodi player).

• Like 1

bartolomesoriano

Angelblue05,

What is the use and/or advantage of entering network credentials in the addon settings? Is that related to accessing your content remotely? I am not too clear on this. Sorry for the noob question and thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart