Go back to the minimalist OSD while watching..

diaz1510

diaz1510

Well I started this in the windows server forum and it was suggested I make a feature request...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21793-new-update-issues/

I love Emby, but not a fan of the new massive OSD that show everytime you move the mouse WHILE watching a show/movie.  I realize some folks may like this new feature so I was curious about having an option to toggle between the old style and new.

I use the web client with firefox BTW...

Anyway, what do you guys think?

5567db348553a_ScreenCapture.jpg

• Like 19

techywarrior

I'd prefer a minimilast OSD as well. If you want there could be links/buttons to show additional information but I think it's much better to have a small OSD by default when the mouse moves. Then if you really mean it you can open additional info by simply selecting what you want to view (chapters, description, etc.)

• Like 1

Biomorph

It's really not needed at all, this info is visible prior to playing the content the info is about. Should be able to be turned off.

• Like 1

Vidman

I think the ideal would be minimal on mouse movement (or first touch/tap) and slide up the extra info when paused. This is how my favourite kodi skins function

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 7

Angelblue05

I think the ideal would be minimal on mouse movement (or first touch) and slide up the extra info when paused. This is how my favourite kodi skins function

Totally. The whole point is to provide information when appropriate, not when content is actually playing. 

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

chef

Just as a side note (because I use the whole web client on my iPhone as a remote) I find some of the new OSD through out the UI to be unessessay. The new "Play/Open" screen that appears when I choose movie title seems redundant. I would like to just press "Play" on the details screen.

However, I really like the colours that these new screens display. It livens up the display quite a bit.

Edited by chef

Koleckai Silvestri

Options would be good. I'd hate for the drop downs to disappear or the new OSD to be removed. The web client is the centerpiece of the new mobile phone apps and needs functionality like this on small devices. Though there are no hovers or mouse movements on these devices, so it is a bit more refined in practice. That the web client is just about the only client not focused on a 10' Experience is good in my opinion. It makes it the best choice for a lot of viewing options. 

So there should be several options

1) Show the OSD on pause only or to remove it completely at certain screen sizes.

2) Hide the OSD altogether.

3) Disable the Drop In Cards (personally, I am a fan of them vs. the overlay)

3) Disable the poster/thumb overlays if Drop In Cards are enabled.

Anyway some choices will be good but the new interface changes make the web client work more like an App overall.

• Like 1

Heckler

I'd like to request that existing issues be fixed as a priority over adding extra bells and whistles.

You are trying to move emby beyond the niche market that it has been in for so long... and neglecting already present issues in favour of 'improvements' (which many seem to agree are anything but) is only going to harm the value/reputation of the software/brand that you are hoping to build.

Heckler

Options would be good. I'd hate for the drop downs to disappear or the new OSD to be removed. The web client is the centerpiece of the new mobile phone apps and needs functionality like this on small devices. Though there are no hovers or mouse movements on these devices, so it is a bit more refined in practice. That the web client is just about the only client not focused on a 10' Experience is good in my opinion. It makes it the best choice for a lot of viewing options. 

So there should be several options

1) Show the OSD on pause only or to remove it completely at certain screen sizes.

2) Hide the OSD altogether.

3) Disable the Drop In Cards (personally, I am a fan of them vs. the overlay)

3) Disable the poster/thumb overlays if Drop In Cards are enabled.

Anyway some choices will be good but the new interface changes make the web client work more like an App overall.

I agree on all of these points... and would add another.

On the home screen, when you hit play (from the overlay) on shows, have it automatically play the first unplayed item instead of popping up another overlay in the centre of the screen with yet further options... The user has already pressed play and shouldn't need to be asked again to make the same choice.

A question you may find useful to ask about a feature of the software via the browser Vs the MB classic is this... Why does it need to be different in each one.  I.E.  If I press play on an item in the EHS, it plays it but if I press play on the browser Home page it prompts me again.

• Like 1

ChromeRunner

New user here.. just thought I should drop by to voice my support of this too. Watching a loud movie often vibrates my desk, causing this obnoxiously large OSD to appear. Please offer some sort of minimal UI, and increase the mouse motion required to activate it.

Ozpeg

I just updated my Emby Server to the latest version

When I play any video (movie or TV show) I get a stupid half-window overlaying over the video with information about the media, which I had already seen prior to clicking on PLAY.

How do I turn off the stupid INFO half-window ?

Happy2Play

topics merged

Edited by Happy2Play
topics merged

Ozpeg
  • I agree with the above, specifically about the OSD showing when paused. I think that would be a good alternative.
  • I am not keen on the OSD displaying on mouse movement however. I sometimes accidentally move my mouse when watching a TV show - to have the OSD display when I do that would drive me (even further) around the bend
  • I am definitely not a fan of the OSD popping up when you are on the home screen, and select a new movie or TV Show tile, without pressing the PLAY arrow
  • Lastly I think it would be better to have all of the OSD options configurable via the Dashboard

Please please please please please please please please please please fix this issue and release an update as soon as possible

Happy2Play

I am definitely not a fan of the OSD popping up when you are on the home screen, and select a new movie or TV Show tile, without pressing the PLAY arrow

This one is configurable for the most part.  My Preference-App Settings-Enable item preview

• Like 1

Heckler

I think there's one piece of advice that the devs could take as something that everyone could agree on and in my opinion (as a former level designer and software tester) it should be the first test applied to any design changes to anything related to playback of media

Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING should ever interfere with the playback/ of whatever it is you are watching... Any overlay should be as minimal as possible and should never cover subtitles.

At the moment, the web browser client and the MB Client both fail this test and obscure parts of the screen and hinder the viewing of the video and subtitles.I really do appreciate all the effort that goes into emby, but from a design point of view this new 'feature' is a disaster (my own personal opinion) that makes it far harder to view your media and frustrates the user.

• Like 1

im85288

At the moment, the web browser client and the MB Client both fail this test and obscure parts of the screen and hinder the viewing of the video and subtitles.I really do appreciate all the effort that goes into emby, but from a design point of view this new 'feature' is a disaster (my own personal opinion) that makes it far harder to view your media and frustrates the user.

Fully agree, thankfully you can run Kodi on just about any device and have your choice of many, many free skins that have different takes on the OSD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Heckler

New version of the server installed today.... I see that the fullscreen on/off is fixed in the browser... but the ridiculous overlay hasn't been sorted... which is a huge disappointment.

I use the browser a lot when not at home, or when in my office.... and the overlay is a major pain in the arse and makes me not want to use emby at all.

I don't see why you can't simply revert to how it was before, because I hate how it is now and it's making me look at alternatives.

I would like to voice my issue here as well. I was about to dive into code and see if I could fix it today... but I forgot that Emby is an actively developed software with [what seems like] nice developers. I'm happy this thread already exists, because the OSD does need to be minimized a bit on mouse move/startup.

kingy444

I definitely preferred the older OSD when playing media. I use the web client on the one primarily and the new playbar is difficult scroll accurately as well as 3/4 the screen being occupied by the huge info display everytine i move the cursor

• 3 weeks later...
Deihmos

I would like to go to minimalist everything. The server has too many settings located in different areas and features that I can't imagine many people are using.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

Heckler

Thanks for reverting back to a minimalist OSD for the webclient :) Much better now!

I have no idea what you consider minimalist.... but this sure as fuck is anything but minimal. It's an eyesore that interferes with playback of media and pops up with the slightest vibration in the house, or if traffic passes by the house 15 meters away... or if anyone walks up/down the stairs.  It's nothing short of a stupid design that needs to be removed... at at least let me revert back to a version before this hideous looking shite. I have seriously had enough of this crap along with every release being worse than the last one before... each version introduces more problems that it resolves... and I don't know if the devs just aren't testing properly or if they just don't give a shit any more... because BAD DESIGN IS BAD DESIGN.

stupidoverlay.JPG

I have no idea what you consider minimalist....

This is what I consider minimalist, which is exactly what it does on my system:

55a5517c9711a_minOSD.png

Not sure why yours is different, unless you have either a different version or different settings than I do.