Casting to Chromecast crashes app

Crestj

Crestj

Using a Nexus 5 with Android 5.1 all standard (no custom ROMs or root, etc).

Any tv show or movie I try to play on my Chromecast starts playing but when I try and use the controls (pause, stop, etc) the app screen locks and I have to forcibly stop the app.

Attached is a log from the Nexus 5 which I think contains some useful info, there is an uncaught exception in there somewhere!

Anyone else having these issues?

Server Version 3.0.5621.4

Android App version 2.2.38

8fcbafd7-a0a2-471c-a87d-f6ae28d41b79.log

Edited by Crestj

quaffapint

I'm using the latest emby server beta (3.0.5621.4) and am having the exact same issue with the android app and chromecast. I've unplugged/rebooted my chromecast and it didn't help.

Crestj

Ok great.

I notice that they mention casting to a chromecast via the web client.

I cannot do that from my Web client, is it possible?

blade005

Ok great.

I notice that they mention casting to a chromecast via the web client.

I cannot do that from my Web client, is it possible?

I don't think you can cast from Emby Web Client to an actual Chromecast Device. There are extensions in Chrome store that will let you cast an entire Tab Screen (i.e. Emby Web Client screen) to Chromecast device, but performance and video quality can be suspect.

You can use the Web Client to Cast to other apps, such as Emby WMC and Emby Theater.  I think using the Web Client or Android Mobile to cast to Emby WMC or Emby Theater is sometimes stated as sending to Chromecast in the forums, even though it is not being sent to a physical Chromecast device. It can be a bit misleading.

Edited by blade005

blade005

Yes you can cast from Chrome but only on a desktop computer. 

Luke,

Doesn't work for me. Chromecast running and Android Mobile sees it just fine. Open desktop Chrome Web Client and the cast icon does not see Chromecast device.

It works just fine. You need a chromecast extension for the browser.

Crestj

OK so a couple of new versions of the app have appeared and been installed but some Chromecast issues stsill appear:

1. When you connect to the chromecast and play something it starts fine but if you switch app or lock your Android device it loses connection to the Chromecast completely. (Something mentioned in another post I think).

2. The resume doesn't seem to work when casting to Chromecast, I've tried a few videos and they all start from the beginning.

App V. 2.2.90

Edited by Crestj

• 2 weeks later...
nelbarn

I'm experiencing the same difficulties with the Android app on a Nexus 5 with Android 5.1.1.  However, the app on my Nexus 7 on the same version of Android appeared to maintain its connection with the Chromecast.

• 5 months later...

OK so a couple of new versions of the app have appeared and been installed but some Chromecast issues stsill appear:

1. When you connect to the chromecast and play something it starts fine but if you switch app or lock your Android device it loses connection to the Chromecast completely. (Something mentioned in another post I think).

2. The resume doesn't seem to work when casting to Chromecast, I've tried a few videos and they all start from the beginning.

App V. 2.2.90

same problem here. android Phone looses connection sometimes but chromecast keeps on playing and needs to be forced to reboot by plugging power in and out to be able to reconnect my phone to it.

type phone does not matter as i have tried this on Tablets, galaxy phones S3 and S4, huawei ascend (something) anyway chromecast should check if the source is still connected and if not reboot. I am not sure if this is hard to change but i am just letting you guys know about it :)

Greets and Good luck

Emby is awesome!

reisrdok

same problem here. android Phone looses connection sometimes but chromecast keeps on playing and needs to be forced to reboot by plugging power in and out to be able to reconnect my phone to it.

type phone does not matter as i have tried this on Tablets, galaxy phones S3 and S4, huawei ascend (something) anyway chromecast should check if the source is still connected and if not reboot. I am not sure if this is hard to change but i am just letting you guys know about it :)

Greets and Good luck

Emby is awesome!

x3, app crashes every time I lock the screen on every android device I have. S5, S3, Note2, Acer A500, TF202, DHD. After that I can get the app to connect sometimes by pressing volume buttons. Sometimes only reboot helps.

Also the "notification controls" freeze and phone must be rebooted to get rid of them.

Resume works randomly. Usually not.

Also often app can see chromecast, but will not connect to it. "cast" button stays white. Only rebooting both cromecast and phone helps.

Casting works on every other app ok. Also casting Emby from desktop/chrome works. So currently I use Teamviewer on my phone to connect to my desktop pc, and cast from there  :D

I'm thinking of buying Intel Compute sticks (or similar) to get the best compatibility with everything.