How do I restore from a backup?

gvalentin

gvalentin

I moved to a new media server. I have backups of my Media Browser in my NAS. How do I tell the new installation of Media Browser to restore my data from a backup. When I go to Plugins --> Server Configuration Backup, I don't see any option to run a restore.

techywarrior

On the new server add the location of the backups to the plugin (same as you did when you set it up to backup). It should then show you a list of available backups. Click on one and you can restore from it. There should be options as to what data you want to restore in case you don't want everything.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
vick1982

hi.. i am trying to restore from backup as instructed above but when i choose the location and hit save it just keeps loading the circle and never gets to the stage where i can see backups to restore from

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having issues with the backup plugin as well. I just loaded EMBY 3.0.5786.0 to a new Windows 7 Pro PC. I placed my backups from my previous PC in the same location on the new PC. I installed Server Configuration Backup 1.0.0.10 and I can see my backups but when I select one and click on restore nothing happens. I have done restore once before on my previous PC and it worked fine don't know what I'm doing differently or if anything change in the latest update. 

NomadCF

I had to edit (going off my memory here) the "profile" file and replace the OLD servers name with the NEW servers name. Then I was able to finally restore from my backup(s).  

I tried renaming the profile with the new PC name but no luck. Looks like the Restore Now button is not working. When I select All the check boxes and click on restore now nothing happens. 

So i got my issue resolved. Don't know why but when I tried to restore from Chrome or Firefox from the PC where Emby is installed it does not work it will not allow me to click on the restart now button. I gave up on it and logged off went on to my laptop and tried to restore from there. Everything worked fined. Now everything is restored. 

• 8 months later...

I'm having a simillar issue.  I was using an Intel Compute Stick to host Emby, it died and I now have a new replacement.  I installed Emby, installed the Backup/Restore Plugin, made sure the server had exactly the same name as before, found the back ups using the plug in, selected everything to be restored, clicked restore now, then ...nothing.  The plugin doesn't seem to give any indication of where it's worked, failed, nothing.  I can see it hasn't worked, because my library is still blank and the users haven't been restored.

I also tried manually copying the folders from the backup folder to the Emby config folder (with the server offline) but then Emby didn't restart, once the splash screen had finished when I tried to navigate to the server on my browser I just received a test message saying it was busy starting and to come back in a few minutes, that seemed to never go away, so I uninstalled and installed again and am now back to where I started above, the backup config plugin doesn't do anything.

Please help.

Thanks for the report guys. We recently resdesigned the look and feel of the plugin and I've discovered an issue with the restore process. I have pushed an update to the backup plugin. Once you have that, please try the restore process again. 

My last backup was the 4th October before my stick pc died.  That was the backup I was trying to restore.  I saw you just pushed out a new backup plugin update but I'd resigned to just building my server up again from scratch.  Sorry, hope someone else is able to test it, as I'm nearly done with scanning my library I'm not game enough to try a restore at this point.

moviefan

I was able to restore after changing the name to match the server name.

The only thing that didn't seem to properly get restored is the Library Access settings under the Access tab for all of the users.  Had to manually redo this but not a huge deal.

• 4 weeks later...
Jambercob

I'm going to add to this thread since I just had to reload our server due to a RAID issue.

In the latest stable version of the backup utility, if a User has any spaces in their name the utility will stop when restoring and appear to do nothing. Uncheck those users and then hit restore and it all goes fine. We have about 4 users affected by this that I would like to restore. Looks like the utility backed them up fine at least.

I remember this being an issue in the past and ebr ended up fixing it for me. Let me know if there's anything I can do to restore these users.

I'll also mention the server is running Version 3.1.213.0 beta

Thanks!

UPDATE

I managed to work around this issue by doing the following:

1. Browse to the backup you want to restore

2. Go into the userdata folder and remove the space(s) in the user name

3. Go into the users folder and do the exact same thing

After doing that then the user will restore no problem

Edited by Jambercob

• 1 year later...
Diedrich

I'm still seeing this issue on Emby Server v3.5.3.0 and Chrome 69.0.3497.100 on a fresh Windows 10 Pro install. I had to use Edge to get the file options to be visible.

I'm still seeing this issue on Emby Server v3.5.3.0 and Chrome 69.0.3497.100 on a fresh Windows 10 Pro install. I had to use Edge to get the file options to be visible.

Known issue and also quick workaround. It's related with the browser you use I think. Something was working before Backup and Restore .29 version and now it isn't (talking about using it on Microsoft Edge in my specific case).

proof: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63015-backup-restore-not-picking-up-my-backup-after-i-nuked-emby-server-started-fresh-43-beta/

Edited by djhifi

• 1 year later...
Pirlo1966

Same issue. I had to move my media to a new server. Just installed Emby server for synology and the backup plugin and tried to restore my emby settings and playstates but nothing happens?

Pirlo1966

Same issue. I had to move my media to a new server. Just installed Emby server for synology and the backup plugin and tried to restore my emby settings and playstates but nothing happens?

Apologies. Spoke to soon. Nothing happened apparently because I didn't activated my emby premiere key first. Now it restores a previous backup. A warning that an active premiere key is necessary would be nice :-)

• 7 months later...
muppets4

I am preparing for a server migration. I would really love to name the new server different from the old one. Is the issue that is mentioned here that the naming should be exactly the same solved? I have read through the Wiki, but couldnt find a mention of it there.

I read that I need my Emby Premiere key on both machines (for a short time). Will that trigger some sort of defence mechanism?

Edited by muppets4

pwhodges

You can change the server's display name from the top of the dashboard, so I guess you can just do that before taking or after restoring the backup.

Premiere doesn't limit the number of servers run by the same person, so there's no worry there.

Paul