Server process hangs restart/shutdown

Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Anyone else noticing the "MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe" process is hanging when server is shutdown or restarted?  Noticed it more with .2 and .3 releases.

Can't kill the process, have to wait a minute or so for process to die.

v3.0.5621

Happy2Play

Hmm must be the only one.

FrostByte

I'm running as a service and a few times after stopping the service using the webclient to update a new release I got an error on install and find the process never stopped. I then have to kill the process also before retrying.

Edited by FrostByte

mangis

I have found this even when not running as a service. After installing an update and selecting restart from the web client I have to RDP into my server to start it back up. Sometimes I've noticed via the logs that it won't restart as there is another instance still running.

Always thought it was an issue at my end though,

jfarre20

I am having the same issue on my server and my cousin's server.

On update, the app doesn't quit in time and the server never starts back up.

When the app is quitting, trying to kill the process with taskmgr results in an Access Denied error. 

I captured a dump of the process while it was hung. Its ~500mb (91.4 compressed). I don't know how if it contains any of my passwords or personal data, so I wont post it here - but if a dev wants it, send me a message.

Edited by jfarre20

• 2 weeks later...
maskdman3

Same thing here. Server isn't responding since update. Attempting to restart via the webclient hangs the service. Attempting to stop/restart via task manager the service will not restart. Reboot of server fixes the issue (Win 7x64)

Fixed...not sure how though

Edited by maskdman3

Happy2Play

This is a hard one to understand.  I have two production servers that do this but my test server doesn't.  Only thing I can think of is the test machine is a new install and production servers are a couple years old.  This hanging process pops ups every couple releases.

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I can reproduce or deduce the cause it will be fixed. Only thing I can suggest is remove all plugins and see if the problem persists. Also make note of any scheduled tasks are running when you attempt to shutdown

jfarre20

I've tried this, and still the process hangs for about a minute.

I've just decided to run it as a service and update manually. 

Happy2Play

I'm getting the same problem and my emby software won't update to the newest release.

When I run into this issue, I just download from site.

matt_ttam123

Thanks will that just override the existing installation or will I have to go through and choose all my settings again?

Happy2Play

Thanks will that just override the existing installation or will I have to go through and choose all my settings again?

No setting will be lost.  The install will backup previous system folder to .old and create a new system folder.

drashna

As soon as I can reproduce or deduce the cause it will be fixed. Only thing I can suggest is remove all plugins and see if the problem persists. Also make note of any scheduled tasks are running when you attempt to shutdown

Luke, would a memory dump of the process (in Windows) help here?

If so, I'll be the first to volunteer.

If it helps, I do have a fairly large library, so that may be a contributing factor.

I've tried this, and still the process hangs for about a minute.

I've just decided to run it as a service and update manually. 

Yeah, same.  I believe it's an issue with unloading from memory, but i'm not sure.

I'm getting the same problem and my emby software won't update to the newest release.

Yeah, auto-update completely fails for me. I've had to manually grab the releases (intercept the url requested, grab the JSON file, manually find the most up to date version, and unzip it over the installation).

When I run into this issue, I just download from site.

What if you run the dev build?

the server doesn't abruptly terminate it's internal processes. it safely cancels by allowing them to reach a safe stopping point. so my guess is something is running that  is taking a long time to cancel.

linds1234

I've got a similiar problem. If I run Emby as a service I consistently get a BSOD on shutdown. And about 50% of the time on a restart.

Had to run the server as a delayed startup via a shortcut/script in the windows startup folder to avoid that (the delay was required so when it does it's initial library scan, the content doesn't apear as offline as the drive it refers to has a slight startup delay)

99% of the time a BSOD is caused by a hardware driver so I would make sure you've got all of those updated.

plazma

Also you could if the delayed start is required set the service to manual and then run a task to call a batch script to do a net start <service name> after a delay after login.

Keeps your work around as its and also keep it as a service, but why bother it runs just as good when not using as a service.

linds1234

Also you could if the delayed start is required set the service to manual and then run a task to call a batch script to do a net start <service name> after a delay after login.

Keeps your work around as its and also keep it as a service, but why bother it runs just as good when not using as a service.

Yep tried that exact method previously as well. The service will load up fine, and the library status is all good as the RAID drive has mounted by then. But it's just shutting down windows after that point. If I manually stop the service, then shutdown, it's BSOD free.

Agreed, will just keep it running as a standalone server on startup

As EBR has mentioned, it could well be drivers, but the driver I suspect it could be (HBA), I'm not game to update as it was a PITA getting it all stable as it is. Might even be some qwerk with FlexRAID. The BSOD dump was very vague with no reference to a specific driver other than ntoskrnl.exe. Too hard basket I think!

• 8 months later...

Was there ever any resolution to this.  This thread is so old I figure I must have missed a solution since it is still happening for me.  I am referring to the long time to shutdown, NOT the BSOD.

G

Edited by grape