FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mellow129

+1

I just researched how to do this tonight and found this and a few other threads.

I attempted to baseline each of my users' config.xml. I restarted the server, and logged in with a Emby connect linked account and it didn't seem have an affect. perhaps for new and local users.

Hope this feature makes the cut.

P.S. I haven't used Emby in like 3 years. I just switched back from Plex this December due to the direction they were headed. You guys have made some significant progress in stability, performance and features. Everyone in my household loves it. Well done!

• 1 month later...
MyTheater

I think we could have possibilities to create templates for user profiles and possibilities to create "standard" profile like we do it actually. 

Like that's it's easy for "non admin users" to create and more flexible for "advanced users". 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dusan78

Oh my.  I can't believe this has been going on for this long.  Being someone who does a bit of programming, I can't see this being that difficult.  Emby doesn't have a feature to copy .bif files from media folder into the default metadata folder or vice-versa.  I needed to do this because I was moving the metadata and cache locations to a faster nvme disk.  Support had nothing for this and their solution was to let it re-create the files which would have taken over a month on my system.   I found a solution by looking at the database and getting scrambled names and writing a program in Visual Basic .Net that went through my whole library and copied all the .bif and whatever left over poster and fanart files into the correct locations in the metadata folder.  

It took me a day to find and program a solution and it has saved me from wasting a month or more to recreate those (10,000+) files.  I am not an expert programmer but do have some knowledge and experience writing smaller programs to solve smaller problems like this.  I am in the IT field and work in management roles as well as consultant, network, system administrator.  

By looking at the structure of the database, writing a program to do something like setting order of homepage libraries for multiple users is not that hard.  I don't even know why Emby had to hide all the config folders so that they are only accessible using SSH shell.  So you have to stop Emby, go to SSH and copy database  and whatever config files you need to somewhere that's accessible on the network.  Work on the data and when done, put the files back using SSH shell.  (I am using Synology DS920+)

At least make it easier and give us easier access to files we need, so that we can do this type of work ourselves because some of the features we are asking for, should be basic and easy to implement.  

Why don't we have a sticky  "Features to add" poll as the first thread in the forum so that everyone can vote on the most important features to them.  This would show us what everyone wants to see.  I am one of the people who only has about 15-20 users of closest friends and family and it's a pain to always have to go thought all my users and add the new library for each of them and then having to log in as all the users and sort the newly added libraries where I want them.  

It's a huge pain in the a$$.  And "support" people are great here and I always worked with everyone with pleasure but, I still don't feel there is any transparency as to what's going on with features requested, what's being worked on at the moment, what's planned as in "to do list", how many people are working on these projects and features.  It should be so easy to be more transparent and show us the progress and features and fixes being worked on.  I don't think it's too much to ask.

Sorry about the long essay but, my friends/family and I care about and use EMBY daily and it's a big part of our daily quarantined life and entertainment.

Cheers!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

AngelOfTheOdd

Would be great to be able to just click a user, clone user to new user... that copies, profile, access, and parental settings.. set new user name, set password.  Good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Magsajo

Is there a way to copy the view layout of a library across users?  Like a default user that can be used as a template for layout purposes.  

I have music libraries that show thumb view in the first level, primary view the second or subsequent level down for album art. but when i drill down to the actual CD / Album / Folder selections, I'd like to display in list view.  Getting my login to follow my custom layout is a chore but one that's manageable and it does come across on multiple devices.  I'd like to replicate this to my other users  without having to login as each one and manually replicating the layout.   Didn't come up with any hits searching for "layout template", "default user", default user template" in my searches.  

And if there isn't one, I would like to know if it's a feasible request.

1 hour ago, Magsajo said:

Is there a way to copy the view layout of a library across users?  Like a default user that can be used as a template for layout purposes.  

I have music libraries that show thumb view in the first level, primary view the second or subsequent level down for album art. but when i drill down to the actual CD / Album / Folder selections, I'd like to display in list view.  Getting my login to follow my custom layout is a chore but one that's manageable and it does come across on multiple devices.  I'd like to replicate this to my other users  without having to login as each one and manually replicating the layout.   Didn't come up with any hits searching for "layout template", "default user", default user template" in my searches.  

And if there isn't one, I would like to know if it's a feasible request.

Hi, not yet, but more server-side control over this is planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Super957

+ 1000 for me this feature 🙂

Hispa

Edited by Super957

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay let's build this thing.

We'll use ebr's idea of handling everything through user policy.

- copy views (home screen layout)

What else? we'll need a list.

it's probably likely we can create a couple options.

you'd create a use, then open the plugin config and choose which layout/template you'd want to use.

does this sound like what we need?

Edited by chef
  • Agree 2