FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ciro80
I'm sorry, even if it is considered interesting and useful after 1 years nothing has been done.

The answer is always the same: "It's possible for the future"

maybe I'm wrong but I haven't found any meaningful suggestions that have materialized.

I stopped giving suggestions

Gerrit507

Lately I only see unecessary features or bugs being implemented. There a many good feature requests in the commnunity that never get implemented. The answer is either: "It's possible for the future." or "Why would we need that?" The only feature that I've requested for a while is to have recommendations on front page like every streaming service has it, which has been ignored either.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72932-feature-request-better-recommendations/

The moment when emby devs decided to go closed source and stop listening to the community was the beginning of the end of this project.

• Like 1

The moment when emby devs decided to go closed source and stop listening to the community was the beginning of the end of this project.

Absolutely nothing in our development process changed with the move to closed source except for us no longer giving away our source for free. 

We apologize that we cannot do everything right now.   There is a lot that we want to do and a lot of things that need to be done and there are just so many hours in the day.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

+1 

I'd love to see this implemented. Its really a pain to manage user setup and settings via bash/shell scripts. 

• 3 months later...
miniliQuid

Lately I only see unecessary features or bugs being implemented. There a many good feature requests in the commnunity that never get implemented. The answer is either: "It's possible for the future." or "Why would we need that?" The only feature that I've requested for a while is to have recommendations on front page like every streaming service has it, which has been ignored either.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72932-feature-request-better-recommendations/

Well this one is getting more and more support lately, but the request you link to has gotten no support at all...

It's not that weird that they don't go and implement something just because you really want to have it when no one else shows any interest.

On top of that there is a ton of requests still running from others, how should they decide which to do first?

I mean we all want different features to be implemented (and preferably yesterday), but there is only so much they can do.

I do however think that the template idea (or groups) is pretty important for those of us that have a lot of users.

But in that case it just needs more votes (though it might be delayed due to difficult implementation as well).

Edited by miniliQuid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
oRenatoMaciel

Agreed, there should be a way to copy a user account profile when creating a new one.

Just pointing out that at least in the past we would modify each user settings from the Admin Dashboard, and for some reason that very useful ability was removed, and now the only way is to actually login to each user.

I only have 5 users and since this functionality was removed from the Admin Dashboard its a real pain whenever I add a new library or make a change to have to login to each user and update home screen settings. I can only imagine how hard it would be if you had many more users.

It's the same problem I face.
I was looking to reorder my library but it is only possible if I delete everything and reinsert it in the order I want. Imagine the impact this has on the user interface. = (

This feature would be of great help so you don't have to go into each profile and set the library order.

There actually already is a voting system in place.  You "like" the first post of a feature request.

We do pay attention to this but it cannot be our only method of prioritization.  First, due to what I mentioned above but also because the people who are in this forum, and will actually take the time to vote on such things are actually a very small percentage of the real user base.

For example, this is a relatively highly "voted" feature request.  It has 11 votes now.  I think you will agree that there are probably more than 11 folks running the platform :).

Like I said, we watch these things and we try to listen and I do believe this and the group feature will come in time.

I agree with what you said and still add:

Many EMBY users don't even know about the forum because they got to know EMBY via YouTube tutorials.

Others know about it, but have never created an account here in the forum to participate. But in the Whatsapp group where they have more than 100 members, everyone who responded agreed that this role is super important.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lighthammer

Whenever I make a new user, I tend to go update their interface by copying my default user profile to the new user's folder (which means I need to keep track of which user is which in the Emby\programdata\confi\users folder (this is a pain in the butt btw).

What I would like to do is to be able to create a template with all the user settings and libraries pre-configured and then apply that to a user or every user in a user group.

I would anticipate this being more difficult due to the need to design an interface for it.

• 3 weeks later...
heciruam

A default template would be great!

Having to set the Homescreen and the Library order for each new user is annoying. New users won't stumble into that section or even know that it exists.

• 5 weeks later...
AviatorBimmer

Any update to this? This is a feature that is MUCH needed. I would love to be able to create a new user, using another user's settings. This would be a life saver.

• 1 month later...
kandolhu

I have to create 35 users. It would be so difficult to create one by one and do the settings manually. If there was an .xml code to copy paste or another way to do this, it would have been so easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
runtimesandbox

+1 Would really love this feature to have a template layout / config that can be configured and applied to new users

• 3 months later...