FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

Happy2Play

*push*

Is there realy no way to copy users or nobody knows it or want to explain it?!.

Sorry for double posts on this....

Greetz Stealth

Well sure, create the new user, then use the Server Configuration Backup plugin and create a backup.  Go to that backup in the Plugin and restore any use to any use.

583b2ccd0b9ef_mapped.jpg

Onces you create a user you can copy the policy and config xml from one user to another also in reference to setting and access.

StealthDefender

Well sure, create the new user, then use the Server Configuration Backup plugin and create a backup. Go to that backup in the Plugin and restore any use to any use.

583b2ccd0b9ef_mapped.jpg

Onces you create a user you can copy the policy and config xml from one user to another also in reference to setting and access.

Ah ok, thx. Seems to be clear.

But where are these config.xml located?

Happy2Play

Ah ok, thx. Seems to be clear.

But where are these config.xml located?

in each users folder.  C:\\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users

• Like 1

StealthDefender

Many thx for your help, but in this way there are no watched, resume stats stored!?

I need to copy them over a existing user to set restrictions for the Kids!

Many thx for your help, but in this way there are no watched, resume stats stored!?

I need to copy them over a existing user to set restrictions for the Kids!

The backup plugin can help you do this.

Happy2Play

As posted in post 27 you have to create users then create a backup, then use the restore option to restore use x to user y and z.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

will the backup plugin allow us to do this for guests instead off users

The backup plugin does not currently backup/restore guest accounts.  Guest accounts are actually a combination of information stored not only on your server but ours so moving them from one server to another does require you re-create them at this time.

• 1 month later...
dcook

@@ebr

You locked my FR post and marked it as duplicated referring me to this post.

However this post was started Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

So we are approaching 2 years since this basic functionality was requested.

Is this typical?

How do you prioritize changes to Emby?

Can we setup a voting system in Feature Requests so the developers will action the issues with the most votes first?

We do pay attention to responses out here but that is not the only thing.  We prioritize based on the things we believe will have the largest impact for the largest group of users.

While I believe both this and the other group feature are very good ideas and we will most likely implement them in time, they would not impact the average family user with four or five users nearly as much as many other features.  They are also very fundamental changes that are not just "pop in" things.

dcook

Just seems like some of them fall on deaf ears so to speak, this has been outstanding for years and there are many people asking for this basic functionality.

Compared to how many people asked for rainbow colored boxes underneath the posters for example, which I think was none, but yet that change was pushed out despite not being asked for, and was not even made optional.

I think a voting system would be much better, that way you know what to work on next instead of trying to guess.

Edited by dcook

There actually already is a voting system in place.  You "like" the first post of a feature request.

We do pay attention to this but it cannot be our only method of prioritization.  First, due to what I mentioned above but also because the people who are in this forum, and will actually take the time to vote on such things are actually a very small percentage of the real user base.

For example, this is a relatively highly "voted" feature request.  It has 11 votes now.  I think you will agree that there are probably more than 11 folks running the platform :).

Like I said, we watch these things and we try to listen and I do believe this and the group feature will come in time.

dcook

How many votes did the rainbow colored boxes under the posters get?

There actually already is a voting system in place.  You "like" the first post of a feature request.

We do pay attention to this but it cannot be our only method of prioritization.  First, due to what I mentioned above but also because the people who are in this forum, and will actually take the time to vote on such things are actually a very small percentage of the real user base.

For example, this is a relatively highly "voted" feature request.  It has 11 votes now.  I think you will agree that there are probably more than 11 folks running the platform :).

Like I said, we watch these things and we try to listen and I do believe this and the group feature will come in time.

dcook

Apparently if you comment on a feature request post stating that you agree or would also like the feature that is not enough for the Developer's.

You must go to the 1st post in the thread and click on the "Like" button.

You all posted in this thread supporting better user management, can you all go to the 1st post and click the like button?

Thank you!

Jdiesel

I can see the value in being able to copy user templates but the only value is saving a few minutes of the admins time when setting up the server. I suspect most admins only create a few users and tend to leave them alone once setup. If the addition of this feature requires significant rework of the software I would rather the Emby devs spent that time on other critical areas instead. I realize that someone like myself who spent 3 minutes setting up my 6 users is probably not the target audience for this feature though.  

• Like 1

Happy2Play

It is a nice request but looking at this from a Home user perspective you will never have that many household users.

dcook

Having Groups or a template is not just for creating users, if you add a new library or make some other changes you could make the change to one group or one template and it will apply to all users.

Right now if you add a library and have say 5 users you have to go into each user account and add the library.

It is a nice request but looking at this from a Home user perspective you will never have that many household users.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
doonze

+11111111!!11!!!!!!!!11111

Remember, if you support this as a feature request, please like the first post. That's how they track interest 

I vote for "groups" you can add users too, new or existing. And these groups would define what accesses and libraries a user has access to. Also sets the default "theme" and all that jazz. Nothing annoys me more than having to go limit the libraries and turn off "delete content" on every new user. I'm still finding people who I missed turning off the delete option for. One day that's going to bite me in the A$$. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...