FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

Cerothen

I think that rather than copying a user being able to specify permission groups would be ideal.

Eg make a group and put users in to the group then indicate which aspects of the group profile get applied to those users.

This way we could change a whole bunch of users all in one go say if a new library was added.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
NeoMatrix

Is there no way of changing default thumbnails for all newly created users? Seems strange not to have a default preference for all users

CBers

+1 Million - specialy shared IPTV channels -  its a pain - recreating for each user in the house!

You can copy the XML file and just change the userid.

NeoMatrix

CBers - Fantastic - Ill take a look where to find this...Sounds perfect.

Appreciate the time to reply

Thank-you.

• 4 weeks later...
NeoMatrix

Cbers, Would anyone happen to know the path of this user .xml file? I cannot see it?

I have looked for all xml files with no success.

Thanks for any advice given..........

CBers

It's in %AppData%\MediaBrowser-Server\Plugins\Configurations I believe.

Depending on when you installed Emby, the folder may be Emby-Server instead of MediaBrowser-Server.

• Like 1

I like this idea, but would prefer assigning users to Groups which have specific permissions. While copying would be nice, if something changes then you have to go back and change all the impacted accounts which sounds unfun.

A group policy feature would probably be a more flexible approach but also more complex from the user setup perspective (think about someone who is not a server administrator).

Very good point. You would need to include a couple of default profiles - Admin and User. Maybe break the User into two groups - basically a "View only" and a power user (just with better names than I can come up with) to get started. Not an easy task, but there should be a way to tell if a given permission is from the group or if it is specific/custom for the user.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
StealthDefender

Any news on this......

Should make a new user for ratings.

Would be nice to mcopy the watched status to the new user!

Trakt is no option in my case!

There must be an option to copy an xml file or something!?

Greetz Stealth

bfir3

Even just a feature that would allow us to apply user view settings from our admin account to a selection of other existing accounts or even all of them. It could just be a page with a list of all the Users and a checkbox next to them. This page would only be accessible by admins, and would allow an admin to quickly apply user settings to all accounts. As it is right now, I have to go into each account manually and update the libraries and view orders manually, and this can take a lot of time when you have around 50 users.

StealthDefender

I have the problem at the moment that i would use 2 different users on my kodi with the emby plugin!

But i wan´t to copy all watched stats from the master profile to the childs profile and the set parental control!

So when i create a second user on kodi i can login with this parental controlled profile on my emby server and switch to the master profile when its needet!

But if i have to manualy set the watched statsd to the existing watched files this would be a mess!

Greetz Stealth

Vidman

In the emby for kodi addon settings of the second user you could permanently add the master user to the session so anything watched under the second user will be marked as watched for the master also

StealthDefender

In the emby for kodi addon settings of the second user you could permanently add the master user to the session so anything watched under the second user will be marked as watched for the master also

Yes, i tried this and this is the solution for be synced to the future, but i want to have all the stats at the beginning on the second user on emby/kodi.

Is there no chance to do this? [emoji3]

Greetz Stealth

dcook

You used to be able to modify each user setting from the Admin Dashboard, somewhere over the past few months they removed that link for no apparent reason other then to cause more work for us, and now you have to login as each user to modify the settings.

Even just a feature that would allow us to apply user view settings from our admin account to a selection of other existing accounts or even all of them. It could just be a page with a list of all the Users and a checkbox next to them. This page would only be accessible by admins, and would allow an admin to quickly apply user settings to all accounts. As it is right now, I have to go into each account manually and update the libraries and view orders manually, and this can take a lot of time when you have around 50 users.

bfir3

You used to be able to modify each user setting from the Admin Dashboard, somewhere over the past few months they removed that link for no apparent reason other then to cause more work for us, and now you have to login as each user to modify the settings.

That's still much more tedious than an apply to all users feature.

StealthDefender

Can it be that there is really no method to simply copy a profile/user?

Only watched stats are importand.....please....in the name of my childrens..... :-)

Greetz Stealth

dcook

Agreed, there should be a way to copy a user account profile when creating a new one.

Just pointing out that at least in the past we would modify each user settings from the Admin Dashboard, and for some reason that very useful ability was removed, and now the only way is to actually login to each user.

I only have 5 users and since this functionality was removed from the Admin Dashboard its a real pain whenever I add a new library or make a change to have to login to each user and update home screen settings. I can only imagine how hard it would be if you had many more users.

That's still much more tedious than an apply to all users feature.

Edited by dcook

Agreed, there should be a way to copy a user account profile when creating a new one.

Yes but the problem is that there are about 100 of these types of things that different sets of people think the program "should" have.

It just takes time :).

StealthDefender

Yes but the problem is that there are about 100 of these types of things that different sets of people think the program "should" have.

It just takes time :).

This should be clear.

But where are the settings and database infos of each user!?

Are they stored in an xml or where?

Edit: No one? There must be a place where the profiles store their data, or may i am wrong?

Edited by StealthDefender

• 5 months later...
StealthDefender

*push*

Is there realy no way to copy users or nobody knows it or want to explain it?!.

Sorry for double posts on this....

Greetz Stealth