FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

chef
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you first setup a user, if you had the ability to copy all options from an existing user, would that suffice rather than building a templating system?

Because that's an easy win that could be added very quickly.

I think that would be great!

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

What y’all think about this.

admin could setup hidden users for template purposes. And we can just allow the plugin to show all users(hidden or not hidden) and this could be the best way and most economical way to get this done and dusted quickly. 

if there is a real need for templating then it’s easy enough to do just very time consuming.

thoughts would be appreciated 

55 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you first setup a user, if you had the ability to copy all options from an existing user, would that suffice rather than building a templating system?

Luke see my thoughts above

I'm going to just put a dropdown on the new user screen to copy settings from an existing user. I think that will make a lot of people happy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

I'm going to just put a dropdown on the new user screen to copy settings from an existing user. I think that will make a lot of people happy.

So? No need for me to continue? Is this for the now? Or the futuuuuure?

you should also allow hidden users only on admin accounts to show this would allow for folk to create hidden user templates.

thats the road i was gonna go.

• Haha 1

chef
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's perfect. Thanks Luke!

15 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

So? No need for me to continue? Is this for the now? Or the futuuuuure?

you should also allow hidden users only on admin accounts to show this would allow for folk to create hidden user templates.

thats the road i was gonna go.

I'm going to do this very soon. It's a quick and easy win based on work we've largely already done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
5 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm going to do this very soon. It's a quick and easy win based on work we've largely already done.

Ok cool, so what is the full scope of what you are gonna do. And how will it work.

and should i stop development on this.

just 2 simple questions to fulfill what the community wants

EDIT: after 1hr no commitment from the core

Edited by Cheesegeezer
Update

Cheesegeezer
5 minutes ago, TeamB said:

a plugin that could apply a view/option/setting to a list of users would be useful.

You need to read back for sure. Don’t deflect or string out forum posts because you wear a badge. Need honesty here or a man’s word. 

Edited by Cheesegeezer

13 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

So??

in progress status or what? 

I would hold off on what you were doing and see how the core feature ends up working.  I think it may satisfy 90%+ of the needs as it is actually what this request was specifically for (copy user).

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
20 hours ago, ebr said:

I would hold off on what you were doing and see how the core feature ends up working.  I think it may satisfy 90%+ of the needs as it is actually what this request was specifically for (copy user).

I had almost finished it anyway, so I'll throw it up on the plugin catalogue for use in the interim, at least you don't have to worry about it just yet and can focus on other features and requests.

Version 1.0.0.0 is available in the plugin catalogue under General Section

image.png.74b87cd04b619e6900bc7d3156353aa2.png

Admin accounts are hightlighted

image.png.11a02d45aafc1202b44ebfb4eba49388.png

Interface with info on which account is being copied

image.png.c1494de213c17928ad7c0c51aec329c5.png

After Hitting Save the status lets you know what has happened, but stays open, in case you want to create more users.  Click close to exit 

image.png.ef447fa17f74a929cbcf3767bafe3959.png

New user is created and you can edit, delete and do what you need to in the standard User Interface

image.png.6d4459e4ac43fe4f86a9a11e9ec9986c.png

Hope you enjoy

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

Coming in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Awesome… just let me know directly and i can remove it or block the plugin Id. Everything is connected via the Id and not the Name.

Cheesegeezer

You should annotate this thread as in progress, as you are actively working on it.

I can see this is already underway.. but have you all thought about future proofing this?
At it's very basic, this will basically create a new user and apply an already created profile of user settings / configurations.. if I understand this correctly.

Was something more along the line of "Group Policy" ever come to mind as a method for this?
As in creating "User Groups" and then apply those settings / configuration to "New User" AND also being able to apply this to "Already Present Users".
This gives the Admin alot more control to do this on a single user or bulk users.. instead of having to change / add ONE user at a time.
Example:
I make a change to CSS.. a change to a Library.. a change to how a plugin operates.. etc. 
Wouldn't it be easier, FASTER and more effective to apply this to a "User Group" vs applying this one user at a time?
or, lets say I apply these user policies / configs to 10 users.. and right after that I make policy / config change, I have to go and change 10 users one-by-one again?
Or, using "User Groups" just change the ONE "User Group" and that will take care of the 10 users because they are in that specific group.

Future proof.. A Emby version 5 versions from now adds new features / functions that you aren't even thinking about today comes out.. now which one is easier and quicker to do?
Find and edit users one by one?
Or simply apply these new features / functions selectively amongst a handful of "User Groups"?

IMO, it seems easier to:
Admin add user(s) to group(s) with config / policies defined. vs Assigning multiple users to different configs / polices one-by-one.

10 minutes ago, BGman said:

Was something more along the line of "Group Policy" ever come to mind as a method for this?

On 10/1/2022 at 1:23 PM, Luke said:

10 minutes ago, BGman said:

Not really sure what the copy / paste means.. like what am I supposed to interpret from this?

Sorry, you asked if we considered a group policy approach so I was re-constructing the discussion from this thread where we did consider that and are implementing the straight copy now because it is very easy to do.  Creating a group policy system would be much more complex and require a lot more dedicated development work.  Since we cannot prioritize that right now, we are providing just what this FR was asking for as a quick win.

Thanks.

• Agree 3

Cheesegeezer
3 hours ago, BGman said:

I can see this is already underway.. but have you all thought about future proofing this?
At it's very basic, this will basically create a new user and apply an already created profile of user settings / configurations.. if I understand this correctly.

As in creating "User Groups" and then apply those settings / configuration to "New User" AND also being able to apply this to "Already Present Users".
This gives the Admin alot more control to do this on a single user or bulk users.. instead of having to change / add ONE user at a time.
Example:
I make a change to CSS.. a change to a Library.. a change to how a plugin operates.. etc. 
Wouldn't it be easier, FASTER and more effective to apply this to a "User Group" vs applying this one user at a time?
or, lets say I apply these user policies / configs to 10 users.. and right after that I make policy / config change, I have to go and change 10 users one-by-one again?
Or, using "User Groups" just change the ONE "User Group" and that will take care of the 10 users because they are in that specific group.

Future proof.. A Emby version 5 versions from now adds new features / functions that you aren't even thinking about today comes out.. now which one is easier and quicker to do?
Find and edit users one by one?
Or simply apply these new features / functions selectively amongst a handful of "User Groups"?

IMO, it seems easier to:
Admin add user(s) to group(s) with config / policies defined. vs Assigning multiple users to different configs / polices one-by-one.

I had a good read thru your post.  It could be something i can add to the plugin. Templates was one thing i was thinking about.  however, what could be done is if you edit one user, then you could add a heap of users to a list and then update those users to be the same as the current selected template.

5 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I had a good read thru your post.  It could be something i can add to the plugin. Templates was one thing i was thinking about.  however, what could be done is if you edit one user, then you could add a heap of users to a list and then update those users to be the same as the current selected template.

Altering one user at a time just doesn't really make sense to me. 
So yea, I'm liking your templating idea.. this allows to bulk apply or even remove settings / configuration to more than one user at a time. Would this templating be able to be pushed via API?
Now that would be a winner!

Edited by BGman

• 5 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

This has been backported to 4.7 and will be included in the 4.7.9 maintenance release. Enjoy.

Ill remove the plugin now!! Cheers fella

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

So a i just installed 4.7.9 on my main system. and was looking at some differences from core to the plugin

Initial First look feedback

1. Core implementation doesn't show hidden profiles (i would imagine that an admin would like to setup hidden "users" to copy profiles from to keep as templates) 

image.png.5f2f704097121ad447f5083bd1f3be74.png

Core doesn't show the hidden user

image.png.e7adf5baac2416d4cb98979b50cc4841.png

Plugin does

image.png.21763007baf8dcfe5507771cce540507.png

My question is to the community is....

is this something you guys need.  Because i'm more than happy to pull the plugin from the catalogue now this is in the Core implementation or should the core adopt this strategy to show hidden users?

Thanks all

Edited by Cheesegeezer

If by "hidden" you mean not shown on login screens, then, yes, I think those should definitely be available to copy from...