[FR] Option to play from direct path instead of going through addon

xnappo

xnappo
When a user launches an item, the item details are realtime retrieved from the server, the path determined and the playback will start with either direct play or stream/transcode.

This has the following downsides:

• On slow clients it can take a little while to start the playback
  • The server needs to be on for the playback, even if the content itself isn't stored on the Emby server itself.
Possible solutions:

1. Create an option in the addon settings to store the real (direct path) to the Kodi database, this has an disadvantage that we cannot intercept the playback so it will only work for local/LAN use.
  2. Store the item details in the local Kodi DB so we don not have to query the Emby server. Only if the playback fails we can fallback to querying the server.

xnappo

I have checked in an implementation of option 1 in the ALPHA stage to Git.  

To test it out, install the latest Git, go to the Addon settings and turn ON 'Use local paths instead of addon redirect (faster playback, but no remote access)' in the Sync option.  Reset the DB and test.

xnappo

• Like 2

inkubux

Thanks for this, I will try it tonight.

to load the latest git do I have to do something else than just update the plugin in Kodi ? 

scalda

Why don't have this tied into the option that you already have in the config options "use http instead off smb" and have that as you control to choose between remote play (external access) and local play

xnappo

It isn't the same.  We may tweak the wording/settings later - for now just test that it works right please.  Test corner cases like resume and tracking of progress between multiple clients etc.

scalda

rebuilding database now with the option turned on

Edit: the database sync is slower and i'm running the test on my WIN7 machine not my pi1 or pi2 yet

Edited by scalda

inkubux

I tested it at work. and when mixed with play using http instead of smb, and the option to use local path I only get an mp3 stream. The sound is played so it's a good sign

I've attached a media info screen. I don't know if theses option are meant to be used together.

I will test it locally tonight when i'm at home

Thanks

55634b81bbb96_Capturedcran20150525121335

Edited by inkubux

xnappo

Ha - that is due to some leftover code.  Right now those two options should not be mixed.  

scalda

Right it works a lot lot better all paths are correct and are being shown in the movie info page,

playback is alot better as i will show once i post the video i just made of it all from my WIN7 PC going from 0.0.14 to 0.091 then to 0.0.91 with the direct path option. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8871364/Captures/Kodi%20play%20back%20through%203%20versions%20of%20emby%20addon.mp4

The only thing is i took half hour to do the database sync which i don't mind as i can now copy between all devices again

It shows the playback in the emby dashboard aswell as you can play stuff from there aswell via the remote, and so is the tracking of progress back to the emby server 

Anything else you want me to try just let me know

And thank you for doing this 

edited with a youtube video showing playback speeds

Edited by scalda
  • Like 1

inkubux

Ha - that is due to some leftover code.  Right now those two options should not be mixed.  

That's what I figured, but it was the only option I could try while at work on my lunch. 

xnappo

@@inkubux - Yep - no problem - thanks for testing - I do need to clean that up.

I just added some additional playback reporting code @@scalda - no need to reset the DB or anything.  We'll wait until a few more people alpha test then I will push to the beta repo.  This code is fairly quarantined right now because I don't want to break anything as we were just about to do a 1.0 release.  We may integrate it more after that. 

scalda

@@inkubux - Yep - no problem - thanks for testing - I do need to clean that up.

I just added some additional playback reporting code @@scalda - no need to reset the DB or anything.  We'll wait until a few more people alpha test then I will push to the beta repo.  This code is fairly quarantined right now because I don't want to break anything as we were just about to do a 1.0 release.  We may integrate it more after that. 

@@xnappo anything in particular you want me to look at with this addition?

xnappo

Well.. You said that the playback progress was already working for you - but I don't understand how it was working without this code :)  

scalda

Well.. You said that the playback progress was already working for you - but I don't understand how it was working without this code :)

@@xnappo

Yer it is without it, before you added code

Capture30.JPG

still works with the code aswell

Edited by scalda

xnappo

I think now there will be more information like the selected subtitle index and the playback method.  Anyway, mostly now just let me know if you see anything NOT working right.

Thanks,

xnappo

scalda

I think now there will be more information like the selected subtitle index and the playback method.  Anyway, mostly now just let me know if you see anything NOT working right.

Thanks,

xnappo

Ok @@xnappo will do i will now install on all pis and test as that is what we use as a house hold

e123enitan

Ok @@xnappo will do i will now install on all pis and test as that is what we use as a house hold

@@xnappo, could you pls provide link for the test addd-on, I would like to give a try on my machine, just  to test results and others users functionalities

Thanks 

inkubux

I tested it on my cubox-i and RPI2 with Yatse and I was able to stream it locally.

Thanks for this fix.

And also it seems to load the stream faster :)

• Like 1

scalda

@@xnappo

Hi, I have installed on a pi1 and a pi2 and it works brilliant.

The playback status is working all correctly and is updating the emby server correctly for resume States and watched status.

Thank you very much for doing this.

Edited by scalda
  • Like 1

e123enitan

@@xnappo

Hi, I have installed on a pi1 and a pi2 and it works brilliant.

The playback status is working all correctly and is updating the emby server correctly for resume States and watched status.

Thank you very much for doing this.

I would like to test on my Wetek, could you guys please provide link to the add-on or attached a zip file to this thread.

Thanks

xnappo

@@e123enitan - if you don't know how to install from the Git, I don't think this is the one to start experimenting on.

There is currently a bug - info screens for episodes do not work.  I have a fix, but no time until tonight to implement.  After that is fixed I will push to the repo.

@@scalda - sorry but this fix is going to require a database wipe.

xnappo

• Like 1

scalda

@@e123enitan - if you don't know how to install from the Git, I don't think this is the one to start experimenting on.

There is currently a bug - info screens for episodes do not work.  I have a fix, but no time until tonight to implement.  After that is fixed I will push to the repo.

xnappo

Is there I didn't even notice the info screens for TV shows

And database wipe is fine only took 5 mins on my pi2 quicker then my win7 pc for sure

e123enitan

xnappo

:D Nice, I will wait for repo -and thanks for the efforts.

xnappo

Fix for the info screen has been checked in to Git.  Giving others an hour or so to test the Git, then I will push to beta repo.