Plugin path play slow Vs direct smb path play instant

scalda

scalda

Hi guys,

I have updated all my pis and wiped the database and had it re sync again and it is using strm files again from the plugin folder on the device instead of direct file location as it was before I updated to the latest github version.

Any idea why? As I now can't transfer databases between devices

Regards

Scalda

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

No idea where you are getting the strm file idea but the add-on does not create them for movies and shows.... :)

Edited by Angelblue05

marcelveldt

@@scalda next time please be a little more in detail... What media are you talking about here ? Movies, tv shows, music?

I believe you're talking about music because that's the only way I can think of that you get strm files.

If the addon uses the strm way for playback it means that your kodi setup cannot directly access the files.

Check your smb path, username, password etc.

marcelveldt

No idea where you are getting the strm file idea but the add-on does not create them.... :)

Yes it does in fact for music if there's no direct access to the path. While for music files we can write the plugin path to the db, Kodi doesn't like this for music files.

• Like 1

scalda

Well I'm not using music part of the Addon only movies and TV shows and the paths are there as all I did on my main one was reset the database via your add on and nothing else was changed. So I am now getting strm files in the plugin folder and the plugin folder path shows up the the info for the TV or movie info instead of the direct file path as before and when I go to play a file it comes up and say opening stream

xnappo

Somehow you must have an old version still hanging out in your addons folder? 

Edited by xnappo

scalda

I doubt it as I am using the github version of 1.1.91 and if when I updated it duplicated things that's why I reset the database and now it's reading from the plugin folder and not giving the direct path

scalda

Also I installed the github version I just quoted on both my kids pis using clean installs of fosmc so they surly can't be using a old version can they

xnappo

I have no idea.  That is very very weird.  I just grabbed the latest Git and reset my DB and everything is normal.  Nothing in the addon folder except the settings.xml file.

Can you reset again and post a log?

Edited by xnappo

scalda

I have just opened both databases from before the reset on the right and after the reset on the left, comparing the paths. why have you changed this, as my devices now have to open the files up as streams and not direct play them any more and it's a good 5-10 sec wait for it to start where as before it was instant.

before%20and%20after%20a%20database%20re

Edited by scalda

xnappo

Ok, now that is different from using strm files - yes we did change it to point to the plugin.  It is still directly playing the file, but we had to that for various reasons(remote access, playback reporting etc).

That said - it shouldn't be any slower IF we have the code correct and IF it is properly detecting access to your local network.

Please post a log from the point you hit play, to when it starts playing and we can take a look.

xnappo

scalda

why am i getting this if it's suppose to be direct playing 

Capture1063.jpg

what log would you like and where is the location of the emby addon log?

xnappo

Thanks.

I put the relavent bits here:

http://pastebin.com/v3iQAUfW

The 'timeout waiting for buffer' errors are strange.  I don't have time now, but later I will see if I am getting those as well.  Something in recent versions is causing my playback to be unreliable/slow too.

xnappo

Angelblue05

@@scalda

Are you able to delete your database file instead of via the reset? When Kodi plays content, it caches the actual path under path... If you look at the number of item, it's pretty much doubled so I suspect the reset via add-on didn't do the complete trick for you. Thanks.

scalda

Yes sure but going back to the last photo I put up, why is it opening a stream instead of direct playing this is what I am getting at. As for the database shouldn't make any difference as my kids pis were clean installs and they are the same opening a stream is slow, instead of direct playing which is quick.

Angelblue05

The opening stream message is a generic Kodi message for when it takes longer than the expected time to get the playback url. It does not mean in any way that Direct playing is not happening.It could range from the server responding slowly to return the direct path to having debug enabled in your log. The playback under active device will tell you what is happening.

When you reset via the add-on, it does not delete any files. So can you try: Reset via the addon settings, then inside the Kodi > userdata folder, delete the following:

• Database > myvideosxx.db and texturexx.db
  • Thumbnails folder

Then start Kodi and let the scan run as usual. Hopefully that will fix the issue you are experiencing. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

scalda

What has doubled? if you are referring to the database images i put up the one on the right is before the update and reset and the one on the left is after the reset so how you can say it has doubled i don't know.

as for the playback if this is the case why was i not getting this show up before you changed back to putting the path in the plugin folder then, also if it's to do with the how it reset my database why is it doing it on 2 clean installs of OSMC and your emby addon as to me it's nothing to do with my database reset if it is doing it on clean installs using 1.1.91 version of your addon.

as for it opening a stream kodi only does that for a url like you just stated, when my files are on a smb windows client which they have always been and before you changed the path thing i had instant plays

you said "When Kodi plays content, it caches the actual path under path" why don't you just have it put the direct path in, in the first place like it was doing then it wouldn't have to go through a constant poll to update the database which i have also noticed that it is running all the time when something is played, which is it obviously changing the path eveytime something is played causeing more read/writes and making things slower.

Angelblue05

@@scalda

If you observe the amount of paths indicated at the bottom of your screenshots, you'll see it indicates 1-19 of 541 and then the next one says 1-19 of 995 this means, there's now 995 paths total. Unless you've viewed over 400 items in between screenshots, I just think the database didn't reset the cache paths Kodi put in there automatically.

For the playback path, there's many reasons. First, when people wanted to switch from direct play to remote, a whole new database scan was happening to replace every path. Not ideal. We need to communicate to the server before playback, this way we can apply parental control, cinema experience in the future, it also allows us to give you a fallback to get the best overall experience in the event the user does not have their path set correctly in the first place, etc.

Are you able to try the latest git version to see if it makes playback delays a bit better, after you reset your database as I explained above? I think xnappo found something that might explain, so I pushed an attempt to fix this. Thanks :)

Edited by Angelblue05

scalda

@@scalda

If you observe the amount of paths indicated at the bottom of your screenshots, you'll see it indicates 1-19 of 541 and then the next one says 1-19 of 995 this means, there's now 995 paths total. Unless you've viewed over 400 items in between screenshots, I just think the database didn't reset the cache paths Kodi put in there automatically.

did you not read what the images were as i clearly stated the data base on the right is pre reset and the one on the left is after the reset and resync

For the playback path, there's many reasons. First, when people wanted to switch from direct play to remote, a whole new database scan was happening to replace every path. Not ideal. We need to communicate to the server before playback, this way we can apply parental control, cinema experience in the future, it also allows us to give you a fallback to get the best overall experience in the event the user does not have their path set correctly in the first place, etc.

as for this then thats fine have that enabled when remote option is choosen not for when it is being played from a local device, as i have just booted up a version 0.0.14 on my windows pc and it starts everything instantly and thats via wifi so why on my other devices that are hard wired direct to the server is it loading a stream on your latest version

Are you able to try the latest git version to see if it makes it a bit better, after you reset your database as I explained above? I think xnappo found something that might explain, so I pushed an attempt to fix this. Thanks :)

little bit quicker but not much to be honest

Edited by scalda
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Are you saying the latest git version has not improved the playback starting faster? xnappo reported that it made things better for him as of now, but we need more testing to determine if it is actually fixed. Thanks for confirming.

scalda

Are you saying the latest git version has not improved the playback starting faster? xnappo reported that it made things better for him as of now, but we need more testing to determine if it is actually fixed. Thanks for confirming.

not really no

Angelblue05

Ok, can you post your log once more? Thanks scalda, for your patience :) We'll get it fixed. Just for our information, what version were you on previously?

Edit: Sorry about the post before, I had misread your first sentence and thought the left screenshot was before and right one was after.

Edited by Angelblue05

scalda

Ok, can you post your log once more? Thanks scalda, for your patience :) We'll get it fixed. Just for our information, what version were you on previously?

Edit: Sorry about the post before, I had misread your first sentence and thought the left screenshot was before and right one was after.

version 0.1.81