Some Emby / Kodi Movie artwork issues?

cw-kid

cw-kid

Hi

I seem to be having some issues with new movie titles and artwork. 

PROBLEM 1: Some new Movies titles missing fanart backgrounds in Kodi

This is a new movie title recently added and Emby server has downloaded / created what artwork files you can see in the below screen shot. There is a fanart.jpg image but no extrafanart and extrathumbs folders have been created by Emby, even though that setting is enabled in Emby. 

555e1cf133a02_KodiArtwork14.png

In Kodi I can see the poster image but the fanart / background image is not being displayed for some reason?

555dfe77daeb5_KodiArtwork2.png

Now I assume I am correct in thinking that when Kodi has been linked to Emby, you then lose some in-built Kodi features to do with artwork. For example as you then no longer have any SMB Sources you are unable to use the "Choose Art" feature. 

555dff26a5b85_KodiArtwork3.png

If I select Fanart from this list

555dffa477758_KodiArtwork4.png

I then see this screen and if I select Browse

555dfff8b6710_KodiArtwork5.png

And then select *Item Folder in order to select the fanart.jpg that is in the movies folder

555e004fd0840_KodiArtwork6.png

It doesn't work and I just see this and I am unable to see the files in the movies folder on the server.

555e00c53c74e_KodiArtwork7.png

Presumably because I now have no SMB source in Kodi that points to the MOVIES folder share on the server. So the Kodi feature "Choose Art" can no longer be used. 

However for some new movie titles that have been added to the system since Emby server was installed I see their fanart / background image in Kodi fine. Like "Cinderella"

555e25e66283a_KodiArtwork15.png

The difference here all the various artwork types of this title were available. 

555e264eabae7_KodiArtwork16.png

And in this instance looking in the movies folder on the file server, Emby has created the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders

555e26a52bce5_KodiArtwork17.png

Also the Kodi add-on Artwork Downloader no longer works with no sources present in Kodi. Yes I know Artwork Downloader should now be uninstalled and Emby is the thing that is now used for managing and downloading the artwork files, however...

PROBLEM 2?: Emby doesn't seem to always create the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders.

Firstly here are all the artwork settings in Emby, maybe you can spot a settings mistake?

555e17206d430_KodiArtwork8.png

555e17423c9bb_KodiArtwork9.png

555e17cd9cd4d_KodiArtwork10.png

555e18ee81ce4_KodiArtwork11.png

555e1946c836d_KodiArtwork12.png

555e197f25f08_KodiArtwork13.png

When looking in to some of the new movie titles that have been added to the system since Emby Server has been installed for some of these movies there are no extrafanart or extrathumbs folders being created, you can see in one of the above screen shots I have enabled this option in Emby. 

I assume this happens and the extrafanart or extrathumbs folders are not created, if there is limited artwork available on the artwork websites, looking on TheMovieDB for the title "Area 51" there is currently only one backdrop image. And the title doesn't even seem to be listed on the Fanart.tv website at all. 

So perhaps it might be a good idea to turn on those other options in Emby for Automatic Updates of new artwork that is added to these websites.

Running Kodi Artwork Downoader add-on instead

If as a comparison test, on my other Kodi HTPC which is still connected to MySQL and not yet linked in to Emby, if on here I run Artwork Downloader on the "Area 51" title then the extrafanart or extrathumbs folders do then get created and it just puts the single fanart image that exists in to each of these folders.

555e253c7a01c_KodiArtwork1.png

So shouldn't Emby also be doing this? Or perhaps it doesn't really matter as there is only one backdrop image currently, maybe if more are added to the fanart sites online then Emby would at that point create these two folders with the extra images. 

My main concern really at the moment is why I am not seeing the fanart / background images on some of the new movie titles in Kodi?

Actually here is a better example I just added the title "Infini" on TheMovieDB here there are two backdrop images available and the banner has come from fanart.tv site. 

However after Emby has added the title to the library it has only downloaded one of them see screen shot below. The title in the metadata manager has been assigned an IMDB and a TheMovieDB ID however. 

555e2ff2ca8cd_KodiArtwork18.png

On the file server Emby has not created the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders, in this case as there is more than one backdrop image available I think it should have done so this time. 

555e3077c11a1_KodiArtwork19.png

After Kodi has synced the title then appears in the Kodi movie library, but the fanart background again is not displayed for some reason?

Note: I don't have this problem of missing fanart in native Kodi / MySQL, for this same time on there I can see the background image OK.

555e312bd99f9_KodiArtwork20.png

If I then in the metadata manager run an advanced refresh or identify against this title, it still does not create the extra folders or download the second fanart image. 

However if I again as a comparison test run the Kodi add-on Artwork Downloader on this title then the extra folders are created as expected and the other available fanart image is also downloaded

555e32d14476d_KodiArtwork21.png

Thanks and sorry for the long post but I wanted to cover everything, not sure why this is happening? if it's me configuring something wrong or some issues with the Emby server / Kodi add-on ?

xnappo

Can you run the texturecache tool and see if it fixes problem #1? 

as far as missing images, you could check the server log to see if there were any downloading errors.

im85288

Just FYI the ExtraFanart folders created with the movies are not used by the Emby Kodi addon. It retrieves the backdrops from the Emby server directly and copies them locally so they can be used with skins that support it.

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

xnappo

Yes - in general when you use Emby for Kodi you don't need ANY files sitting in the folder with your stuff except the video files, and the .srt(if needed).  That is it!

@@im85288 - I think this texture thing is going to be a problem - have you run across any examples of adding to the texture cache db?  I found a delete example but not add..

Edited by xnappo

cw-kid

Hi

Think I need to read up on the texturecache tool as it seemed a bit more involved than what I had time for this morning. 

However as this Kodi PC was previously connected to MySQL and is now not and is now connected to Emby, I decided to delete all the thumbnail images from this folder and its sub-folders:

C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Thumbnails

I then also deleted the Textures13.db file from this folder:

C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database

Now when I open Kodi and look at the recently added movies, all the movies that were not showing background fanart images now are doing so! 

I need to test adding a brand new movie title to the system to see if that also then displays the fanart in Kodi?

But hoping this clear out has resolved the issue with the fanart images at least. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

cgrey000

Just FYI the ExtraFanart folders created with the movies are not used by the Emby Kodi addon. It retrieves the backdrops from the Emby server directly and copies them locally so they can be used with skins that support it.

Can you elaborate slightly on this?

I'm working on modding one of my favorite skins to support rotating contextual fanart on the home menu (movie fanart rotates as a background when the movies menu item is focused, TV for TV menu focus, etc).. Just when I figured out how to do this with the old addon, I started testing the new... 

What is the new property for this/these, and where (locally) do the images get copied to / stored?

Tnx

im85288

Yeah sure, from a skinning point of view its simply a matter of having this in your background image:

$INFO[ListItem.Path,,extrafanart/]

Yes they get copied locally as you browse (once only!) to 

userdata/Thumbnails/emby
Edited by im85288

im85288

@@im85288 - I think this texture thing is going to be a problem - have you run across any examples of adding to the texture cache db?  I found a delete example but not add..

@@xnappo - fully agree, ideally we would have the texture cache code in with ours and run it after anything new is added. I haven't really looked at the code to see if this is feasible, but maybe if we could run what is equivalent to ./texturecache.py -c it would solve these image issues... 

marcelveldt

Can you elaborate slightly on this?

I'm working on modding one of my favorite skins to support rotating contextual fanart on the home menu (movie fanart rotates as a background when the movies menu item is focused, TV for TV menu focus, etc).. Just when I figured out how to do this with the old addon, I started testing the new... 

What is the new property for this/these, and where (locally) do the images get copied to / stored?

Tnx

There are no windows properties for this. You need to use external kodi addons like the grab fanart script or use a custom approach. The best way to get help with this is on the official Kodi forums.

Keep in mind that the old addon had all custom stuff. This new addon just "feeds" the internal Kodi database so all logic (inclusing skinning) is to be treated as native kodi.

cgrey000

There are no windows properties for this. You need to use external kodi addons like the grab fanart script or use a custom approach. The best way to get help with this is on the official Kodi forums.

Keep in mind that the old addon had all custom stuff. This new addon just "feeds" the internal Kodi database so all logic (inclusing skinning) is to be treated as native kodi.

Thanks - that was my assumption at first, but then I saw the comment about the addon retrieving images and copying them locally, which made me think there was something more happening.

I've got what I need (thanks @im85288) to move forward!

Edited by cgrey000

xnappo

@@xnappo - fully agree, ideally we would have the texture cache code in with ours and run it after anything new is added. I haven't really looked at the code to see if this is feasible, but maybe if we could run what is equivalent to ./texturecache.py -c it would solve these image issues... 

I looked at that script and it is super complicated.  I am guessing the actual bit we need is NOT that complex.  I am still a bit confused as to exactly why this happens in the first place though - really seems like a Kodi bug.

• Like 1

xnappo

Certainly not this exact functionality, but if the native library scan is adding something to the Texture database then we should too.  But from the posts about the tool I think this happens with the native scan too?

cw-kid

Hi

Just added two new movie titles, I checked them in the Emby metadata manager and for both they had all the different types of artwork available and downloaded etc.

I then looked at their folders on the file server and both had the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders created and were populated with .jpg files. 

I then opened Kodi (on the Windows 7 laptop, the one I deleted the Textures13.db file and thumbnail images from) and it did a sync, after it had finished I then went to the new movies area and viewed these two new titles and both were displaying their fanart / backgrounds OK. 

I had some missing mediainfo icons but that's for another thread .

So in this instance everything seems to have worked. 

I then opened Kodi on my Apple iMac which is now also linked to Emby (this still has the original Textures13.db file and thumbnail images, it previously created when it was connected to MySQL) and on here after the startup sync the two new movies were not visible. So I closed Kodi and re-opened it. it sync'd again and then I could see the two new movie titles and again both of them were displaying the fanart / background images OK.

I did see a script error popup however towards the end of the Emby sync though  :(

cw-kid

Here is the Kodi log file from the iMAC

11:49:19 T:4604874752   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/Users/Stuart/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/service.py", line 259, in <module>
                                                Service().ServiceEntryPoint()
                                              File "/Users/Stuart/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/service.py", line 145, in ServiceEntryPoint
                                                libSync = librarySync.FullLibrarySync()
                                              File "/Users/Stuart/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/lib/LibrarySync.py", line 104, in FullLibrarySync
                                                self.MusicFullSync(connection,cursor,pDialog)
                                              File "/Users/Stuart/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/lib/LibrarySync.py", line 368, in MusicFullSync
                                                self.ProcessMusicSongs(connection,cursor,pDialog)
                                              File "/Users/Stuart/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/lib/LibrarySync.py", line 384, in ProcessMusicSongs
                                                total = len(allEmbySongs) + 1
                                            TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Thanks

marcelveldt

Please disable music sync of you don't have music. I'll fix the issue in the code but currently it's crashing because it couldn't find any music files.

• Like 1

cw-kid

Please disable music sync of you don't have music. I'll fix the issue in the code but currently it's crashing because it couldn't find any music files.

Hi

Yes the music sync is currently turned on, as it started working on the Windows 7 machine and is syncing the music without now coming up with the script error.

So I also enabled the music sync on the iMac as well. 

After closing Kodi and reopening again, this time on the mac the full Emy sync completed with no script error, with the music syncing still turned on. 

So seems to be an intermittent problem.

Thanks

cw-kid

Please disable music sync of you don't have music. I'll fix the issue in the code but currently it's crashing because it couldn't find any music file

Sorry I just read what you said again.

"Disable music sync if you don't have music"

I do have music in the Emby library that I'd like to be sync'd with Kodi.