double artist.xml

MSL_DK

Is there a reason that the server creates a artist.xml here

\\SERVER\ImagesByName\artists\Depeche Mode\

and here

\\SERVER\Musik\Depeche Mode\

the first one is coming from all your artist tags, the second is your media folder, or album artist. it's just the way it was done. 

Okay ... A little confusing :) and if I want to delete all information about Depeche Mode manually, should I delete both .xml, extrafanart etc.?

If I edit Depeche Mode through the Web Client is saved correctly in \\SERVER\Musik\Depeche Mode\artist.xml

But \\SERVER\ImagesByName\artists\Depeche Mode\artist.xml is not saved.

MBT> Depeche Mode, the description is correct, getting info from \\SERVER\Musik\Depeche Mode\artist.xml

Web Client> Depeche Mode is wrong, getting info from \\SERVER\ImagesByName\artists\Depeche Mode\artist.xml

It is not necessary. I have found out what happens. I try to explain.

If I make corrections on the following artist in the webclient, the changes are saved.

\\SERVER\ImagesByName\artists\Stine Bramsen\artist.xml

(The artist isn't an album artist) She doesn't occur in \\SERVER\Musik\

I then try to edit Pink Floyd that is a part of \\SERVER\Musik\ AND \\SERVER\ImagesByName\artists\ with the result that only \\SERVER\Musik\Pink Floyd\artist.xml is saved.

Now could be a good time to consider the benefits of album artist and artist :)

Edited by JLPFLD

JLPFLD, try using symlinks from IBN to actual media folder meta. 

Wow, note to self to ignore any music related issues you report if you're going to hack like that.

ginjaninja

Now could be a good time to consider the benefits of album artist and artist :)

I like MB3's ability to fetch metadata and store in the media collection/ Fetching album artist & album images in \\Server\Music\Album Artist is brilliant as it fits in with explorer/wmplayer as well.

I like that MB3 stores artist info outside the database, in IBN\Artists, so that a library rebuild doesnt loose the few mbz ids that mb3 couldn't automatically find.

I also find the interplay between the two areas unclear,eg for backdrops, the mb3 server doesnt seem to keep the two areas synchronised or treat 1 as the master (backdrops from both are displayed in web client).

Could the metadata in the collection for album artists be the master and ibn used otherwise?

rickster53

ginjaninja, I share the same concern/questions regarding the synchronization of the two sources. As far as your thought about preserving musicbrainz ids in the case of a library rebuild, as long as the ids are updated in the artist.xml in the collection, then any rebuild could take them from there just as easily as from IBN\Artists... It's almost never a good idea to store the same information in two places.

I also wish there was a way to avoid duplicate backdrops... My backdrop limit is set to 3 and I have some albums that only had a single backdrop (even after checking for more with the new image download tool). Now, those have 3 copies of the same backdrop. I think this is something you just have to live with because MB3 can't tell them apart and know they are the same. It's just trying to fulfill the backdrop limit of 3...

Edited by rickster53