Server - Option to ignore media in scans

bigjohn

Yes, this old request been made when this project start it.

I understand Abo, just wanted to make sure there was an official feature request created for it. So I take it this is something you would like to see too?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
337Manni

Before coming over to Emby / Media Browser I used XBMC.

I had my TV Series folder structure like the following

TV Series - Airing

TV Series - Concluded

I then told XBMC to not refresh the data in the TV Series - Concluded folder (Excluded from libary updates).

Once a TV series had finished Airing I manually moved it's folder over.

This cut my library scans down dramatically and ensured nothing changed with that media.

It would be great if there was some way to mark a TV series as concluded in Emby, either manually with a button or automatically with a web lookup. These TV Series would then be excluded from the updated libary scans. We could even have a manual Scan / Update button for when required.

• Like 3

Mustang Dave

Why not have it pickup from imdb or thetvdb that the show has ended and have it tagged that way so its skipped.  So that there is nothing to manually interact with?

Koleckai Silvestri

Can't you just lock the metadata on the folder or individual items? Then it won't be updated. I'd think it would be excluded from a library scan as well since it is locked but it might not be.

Can't you just lock the metadata on the folder or individual items? Then it won't be updated. I'd think it would be excluded from a library scan as well since it is locked but it might not be.

If you read the last line of my initial post, you'll see that is what I'm asking for. For "Locked" folders or items to really be LOCKED. I've had locked items changed several times after updating the server. Also, if you watch your logs when doing a scan even locked items get metadata retrieved for them. While it may not replace any of the existing metadata, it is still using up my connection bandwidth. I don't have the luxury of having very fast internet available where I live, which is kinda out in the country. This makes scans take longer than they would otherwise.

• Like 1

Why not have it pickup from imdb or thetvdb that the show has ended and have it tagged that way so its skipped.  So that there is nothing to manually interact with?

That is not the same thing at all.  Just because a show has stopped producing new content doesn't mean you have all the data for it.

Mustang Dave

@@ebr

That was under the asumption that you have all the content and the show has ended.  I know thetvdb doestn't allow the content to be modified once the show has ended and if your show data is coming from there, nothing new would be coming from there, therefore nothing would be updating...

• 2 weeks later...
Mustang Dave

I too would also like to be able to select what is scanned and what is not, for example I have my music set exactly the way I want it, folders, images and etc...and every time I have my music included in my library, my scans take up to 8 minutes and I get a CPU spike for a few seconds.  When it is not, my scan are about a minute and thirty seconds without a spike.

It would also double as a great diagnostic tool. We could even allow it to scan initially to get all the meta data, then turn it off to save time and speed.

• Like 2

I too would also like to be able to select what is scanned and what is not, for example I have my music set exactly the way I want it, folders, images and etc...and every time I have my music included in my library, my scans take up to 8 minutes and I get a CPU spike for a few seconds.  When it is not, my scan are about a minute and thirty seconds without a spike.

It would also double as a great diagnostic tool. We could even allow it to scan initially to get all the meta data, then turn it off to save time and speed.

Please 'Like' the original post if you also want to see this feature request (or something like it) included in Emby. Likes are how you vote for a feature request.  Replying to this thread will also help keep it at the top of the forum.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
adrianwi

Having just moved over from Plex, I'd like to add another vote to this feature request.

I'm regularly adding TV and Film media into my library, but much less often adding Home Video, Photos and Music.  It would be really good to schedule TV & Films to scan every few hours and leave the other stuff to scan once a day.  My Photo scan seems to take the longest as there are probably 40,000+ files, with many of those RAW.

Could it just be another drop-down in the Add Trigger box allowing each library to be selected individually or an option for all for those happy with the way it currently works?  The fact you can run these manually must mean the code is already there to call from the schedule?

Edited by adrianwi

I think per library scan schedules are a logical next stepping stone from where we are today, so it's possible for the future.

Having just moved over from Plex, I'd like to add another vote to this feature request.

I'm regularly adding TV and Film media into my library, but much less often adding Home Video, Photos and Music.  It would be really good to schedule TV & Films to scan every few hours and leave the other stuff to scan once a day.  My Photo scan seems to take the longest as there are probably 40,000+ files, with many of those RAW.

Could it just be another drop-down in the Add Trigger box allowing each library to be selected individually or an option for all for those happy with the way it currently works?  The fact you can run these manually must mean the code is already there to call from the schedule?

Does your system not support the library monitoring feature?  If it does then forced or scheduled scans should almost never be necessary.

adrianwi

I've checked the box, but I'm pretty sure Plex never did this as I don't think FreeNAS and ZFS support it?

iamspartacus

Plex did pickup my real time library changes but Emby does not.  What real time changes is Emby looking for in order to kick off a new scan?

iamspartacus

What OS/file system?

Docker container in Ubuntu Server 16.04. I'm going to test tonight if the Sonarr/Radarr connect feature works in causing library updates in Emby.

iamspartacus

What kind of library path? smb?

They are NFS shares but are mounted to Ubuntu and the docker container as local directories.