Moving Emby cache to SSD

richardap1

richardap1

Sometimes there are small delays when loading fanart/box art in kodi (latest beta), especially if i scroll very fast.  Kodi is running off an SSD, while Emby cache is running a normal hard disk. Would moving Emby cache to the SSD help with image load, or does Kodi cache images to it's own DB (which is already on an SSD). Not sure how images are handled with Kodi/ Emby addon.

Thanks

im85288

Yes Kodi does cache the images to its own database so having your Kodi install on SSD is the best performance you will get. The Kodi emby addon adds all of the image links to that database and handles caching etc for you. There should not be any performance issues. One thing that does slow things down a bit is if you use extra Fanart in the skin your using. The reason for this is the extra backgrounds are retrieved on a need be basis. So initial browsing could be slower

richardap1

OK, great thanks. Does it take time for things to settle then?  

As what i am seeing is that, for example, i have Movies in poster view and i scroll down fast, i seem to soon end up at a point where it needs to load the images for the covers / boxart. It only takes a couple of seconds and then they are loaded. However if i keep going down, then back up it will do the same thing again, to the artwork it previously loaded.

incidentally i get the same outcome if I group my movies by collection.  I enter a collection and when i go back all movies have the placeholder image before loading, which makes everything flash for a second or so while it loads. 

Am i being too picky? or should i expect that all artwork will eventually load almost instantly in all views?

I have never really used Kodi before only WMC and Emby Theater, so not 100% on what to expect.

richardap1

I did see the below in another thread, Is this what you mean?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Texture_Cache_Maintenance_utility

Is this fine to use with the Emby Addon?   also all the examples i see are Linux based, but i am guessing that it is simply a matter of running it from CMD in windows?

Does this make a noticeable difference?  (I understand that results will be different on a system by system basis)

Sorry for all the questions.

xnappo

Well, if you use it long enough, the automatic caching will end up giving the same performance.  This script forces the issue.

If you run it on the same machine, the setup is fairly easy.  Install Python 2.7.9 from here:

https://www.python.org/downloads/

Go into the install directory, copy the script there, and run '.\texturecache.py c'

xnappo