Is there an alternative to setting up the Server via localhost browser?

bbrown
Go to solution Solved by bbrown,

bbrown

I must get my movies going again.

I cannot get the server running - having installation issues in the setup, which apparently have no solution or suggestions (see link to yesterday's post)... yesterday's post.

I used to have Windows 7 stand-alone with older Media Browser - which worked great. But I now have Windows 8.1 without Media Center (little drive space on the new htpc computer, nor do I want to pay for it).

Anyway, since I have Windows 8.1 for client-side, and Vista for server-side, can I somehow use the old Media Browser without Media Center? Or better yet...

Is there another way to run the Emby Server setup WITHOUT going through the localhost/browser?

I have tried everything I can think of. Troubleshooting is starting to lead to recklessness in computer setting and updating various things out of desperation.

At this point, my choices are either to toss my new Windows 8.1 htpc in the trash and revert back to Windows 7 with old Media Browser, or go with some other program altogether.  

bbrown

I am going to elect not to do Teamview for now.

A couple of previous posts said there were security settings causing the issue. What would be those settings? Something outside of the browser?

I have used IE, Firefox, and Chrome. IE and Chrome are factory default settings because I never use those browsers.

General internet settings on my Vista machine have Intranet security settings defaulted to "Medium". Everything should be factory default in there - there are many many many advanced settings that I don't want to turn on and off to troubleshoot.

Edited by bbrown

we've seen some IE security settings cause problems but that's not the issue here since you say it affects every browser.

bbrown

I'm not running any firewall, I turned off Anti-Virus, I updated everything I can think of. I turned off AdBlocker and Admuncher. I ran the setup on 3 different browsers. The problem may be unique, but the symptoms are not.

Where do I go from here? I can't click my way past the language selection.

bbrown

Well, none of my questions were answered. This topic wasn't meant to address how to solve the server setup problem, I already addressed / gave up on it in another thread.

At this point, I give up on Emby altogether. I'm going to research a different movie serving solution.  

I'll summarize by saying that the installation was a complete nightmare, and a complete waste of my time...

1. The setup.exe was blocked by Microsoft once I tried to run it. I had to resolve that by disabling .exe files in general, and the Emby Server setup .exe in particular from being blocked by my OS.

2. Upon running the .exe, my OS complained that the file was from an "unpublished" or "unverified" source, and I had to tell the OS it was OK anyway.

3. Upon running the file, the setup runs inside a browser in intranet, which apparently opens up pandora's box with god-only-knows what security settings/add-ons/extensions/whatever that have to be enabled/disabled to run the setup.

I have never had any of these problems before with any other program I installed. I will say, that it has been rare that I setup something on my machine using the browser as an interface. I don't like running software through my browser - again, it opens up too many variables.  

Frustrated, irritated, and abandoning Media Browser after many otherwise happy years of use.  

CBers

Is Emby server even supported on Windows Vista?

Try running the server on your Windows 8.1 machine as a test.

There are thousands of users running Emby and only a handful have had issues installing it.

If you want to install Emby, then you need to provide logs etc for the devs to look at.

If you have given up, I hope you find something else to use.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

JeremyFr79

Amusing that someone seems to be so worried about security, yet running Windows VISTA...................Personally I'd almost guarantee that your issue is you're running Vista, it's old, outdated, most likely doesn't have all the nut's and bolts required to even run Emby Server.  Honestly you can't come here and blame your experience on Emby, when it's you're crappy OS.  That's like a guy buying a Ferrari and then filling the tank with water and complaining that his new Ferrari wont run.

Edited by JeremyFr79
  • Like 1

moviefan

Well, none of my questions were answered. This topic wasn't meant to address how to solve the server setup problem, I already addressed / gave up on it in another thread.

At this point, I give up on Emby altogether. I'm going to research a different movie serving solution.  

I'll summarize by saying that the installation was a complete nightmare, and a complete waste of my time...

1. The setup.exe was blocked by Microsoft once I tried to run it. I had to resolve that by disabling .exe files in general, and the Emby Server setup .exe in particular from being blocked by my OS.

2. Upon running the .exe, my OS complained that the file was from an "unpublished" or "unverified" source, and I had to tell the OS it was OK anyway.

3. Upon running the file, the setup runs inside a browser in intranet, which apparently opens up pandora's box with god-only-knows what security settings/add-ons/extensions/whatever that have to be enabled/disabled to run the setup.

I have never had any of these problems before with any other program I installed. I will say, that it has been rare that I setup something on my machine using the browser as an interface. I don't like running software through my browser - again, it opens up too many variables.  

Frustrated, irritated, and abandoning Media Browser after many otherwise happy years of use.  

Your statements are so full of ignorance I can't say I am sad to see you go.

1. You probably enabled blocking EXE files that are from untrusted publishers.  This was your choice. 

2. This simply means that the EMBY team did not digitally sign their executable.  If you want to fork over $200 for a code signing certificate from GoDaddy please do so and they can sign it for you so you stop getting this warning.

3. Having the post-installation setup wizard run in a web browser doesn't open up a "Pandora's box."  Stop being delusional.  It just avoids the need for a secondary client app to connect to the server.  

Feel free to go open up whatever "pandoras box" you like with another program.  LoL.  

I don't think you will find the creator whatever software you choose offering to take time to connect to your system via teamviewer to help you out when you get stuck there.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Solution

OK, in case someone reads this looking to solve the problem with installation with an empty drop-down box...

This was never fully resolved. However... I installed Windows 7, and was able to install using Explorer Browser - NOT Firefox with Windows 7. Weird. It was the same issue I had with Vista, where both Explorer and Firefox didn't move along in the install.

Anyway, this thread is a couple of months old now. I have new issues I will address elsewhere. I am hesistant to do so because the support community here contains a few arrogant a-holes. I was a frustrated Emby user... But the two responses above illustrate the type of "help" one gets in this community. Hopefully things have changed, as I will require more assistance.

OK, in case someone reads this looking to solve the problem with installation with an empty drop-down box...

This was never fully resolved. However... I installed Windows 7, and was able to install using Explorer Browser - NOT Firefox with Windows 7. Weird. It was the same issue I had with Vista, where both Explorer and Firefox didn't move along in the install.

Anyway, this thread is a couple of months old now. I have new issues I will address elsewhere. I am hesistant to do so because the support community here contains a few arrogant a-holes. I was a frustrated Emby user... But the two responses above illustrate the type of "help" one gets in this community. Hopefully things have changed, as I will require more assistance.

I assure the Emby team members are happy to help you resolve your problem, if you will let us.