Sort Order not honoring server definitions

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Hi,

I noticed Emby windows 8 app does not honour the <SortRemoveWords> clause defined on system.xml file on the server.

Is this by concept? Will there be a separate configuration on the app?

Deathsquirrel

Check the metadata for those items and see if they have a Sort Name defined.  That overrides the server defaults for text to ignore.

For example, by default The 13th Warrior shows up at the beginning of my movies between 13 Assassins and The 40 Year-Old Virgin.  If I add the text The 13th Warrior to the Sort Name field in the metadata editor the movie will show up in the Ts between Terminator Collection and There Will Be Blood.

In my testing the 8.1 app respects what's described above.

EduardoSantos
Thanks for the quick answer, @@Deathsquirrel!

I have checked out the metadata:
1) There is no definition for "Sort Name" on the items
2) Even when I define a "Sort Name" for the items excluding the beginning of the title, the app does not honor the "Sort Name" definition
3) Items are correctly sorted out by other Emby clients such as Web client, Android and Roku

I cannot understand why it works for you. Maybe different versions?

Emby Server is  version 3.0.5607.2

Windows 8.1 app version is 3.2.0.281

Deathsquirrel

I'm not sure why we're seeing something different but there do appear to be issues with movie title sort orders.  The sort order shown in my app does not match the sort order shown in the web client at all.  Still, my app is respecting the changes I put in the Sort Name field, if any.

FrostByte

Does yours look like mine below, maybe a syntax error in your file?  It's definitely removing them for me in the app

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

Edited by FrostByte

Vicpa

Hi,

I just gave a quick look. Mine appear to be similar but displayed different visually. It is a little confusing but it looks like the sort order is vertically in a column. Column 1  row1 item(1), row2 item(2), column 2 row 1 item (3) row 2 item (4)...  Picture

555b87cfaa532_Screenshot64.png

I think that is what is occurring. Like FrostByte my exclusions are being honored.

-Vicpa

Deathsquirrel

The sort order error I see is specific to the numbers section.  It appears to be sorting by the first digit instead of the whole number.  So movies with numbered titles starting with 2 come before movies with titles beginning with 3.  For example 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea comes before 300 instead of after.

FrostByte

I'm seeing the same thing as Death with his issue.  The movie 10,000 BC should be the last one sorted in the #'s category, but is listed first in the app.  Shows up correctly at the end in the webclient.  There are others in there also that are wrong.

With EduardoSantos issue you can see it removed the word "The" when sorting Adjustment Bureau and Spiderman and is good

555bda413bbe6_sort2.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

EduardoSantos

Does yours look like mine below, maybe a syntax error in your file?  It's definitely removing them for me in the app

<SortRemoveWords>

<string>the</string>

<string>a</string>

<string>an</string>

</SortRemoveWords>

My file defines words to be removed according to Brazilian usage. It thus contains different words than the example you gave.

This is what is defined:

<SortReplaceCharacters>
    <string>.</string>
    <string>+</string>
    <string>%</string>
  </SortReplaceCharacters>
  <SortRemoveCharacters>
    <string>,</string>
    <string>&</string>
    <string>-</string>
    <string>{</string>
    <string>}</string>
    <string>'</string>
  </SortRemoveCharacters>
  <SortRemoveWords>
    <string>o</string>
    <string>os</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>as</string>
    <string>um</string>
    <string>uns</string>
    <string>uma</string>
    <string>umas</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

This works "ok" for the Web, Android and Roku client apps.

Are your Windows app versions just the same as mine?

Anyway this screen, as an example, shows that "A Volta da Pantera Cor de Rosa" (and all movies starting with "a") preceeds "Abril Despedaçado"
555dc2da9cba4_Imagem1.jpg

Whereas web client shows no movies with initial "a" preceeding "Abril Despedaçado":

555dc4971f231_Imagem2.png

Also, from the screen captured sent by @@FrostByte I noticed my Windows 8 app appears to be different: It does not group movies by initials.

Is that a configuration option?

FrostByte

My app version is 3.2.0.281

Emby Version 3.0.5607.2

My options are as below, but I don't think any of them causes the grouping that I can tell

555dd46b49dba_options.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

EduardoSantos

Checked my configurations for the app both on the charm/config and from the user icon.

No changes on the grouping. My Emby app does not group. I do not know why but this is another problem. 

Sorting definition on server is still not honored...

FrostByte

Is it recognizing any of your sort remove words?  I would have thought the "a" would work since we both have that one and mine works.

gcoupe

The Windows 8.1 app also incorrectly sorts Music albums that have numbers in the title.

I have recordings of BBC Proms, which have Album titles of "Prom nn - title". When displayed in the web client, then the titles are sorted correctly. However, when displayed in the Win 8.1 app, they are not; e.g. Prom 4 appears after Prom 49, and Prom 7 appears after Prom 76.

Here's the web client:

556433a418f9a_EmbyMusic01.png

And here's the sort order displayed in the Win 8.1 app (read the albums left to right, from top to bottom):

5564345fda977_EmbyMusic02.png