Instructions to cache images

xnappo

xnappo

Yes Kodi uses Python - but that script is quite complex and not at all written to be called from Kodi.

The best we can do is provide clear and easy to use setup instructions.

• Like 2

e123enitan

Yes Kodi uses Python - but that script is quite complex and not at all written to be called from Kodi.

That will be Great, pls make it a dummy proof for someone like me to follow :D

Thanks

xnappo

That will be Great, pls make it a dummy proof for someone like me to follow :D

Thanks

Are you on Windows or Linux/OpenElec?

kolbasz

@xnappo  I assume you are not the one to contact about issues?

Specifically, I am watching the script run and after the first 2 items complete, I get nothing but errors.

caching artwork x items of x remaining......., 1274 errors, 15 threads...

the thread count can be 0 and it still occurs.

For the record, I am running emby in a docker container and when the script run, emby is not available.  So not available that the web interface is not accessible.

As a result, I assume the errors are because the emby server is suddenly not available..  Is docker limited to a specific number of threads, is the issue my hardware docker is running on?  I have no idea where to look from here, but surely the errors are not supposed to be there.

badaas

Ah okay :)

How about make the plugin cycle all itself on initial database import? Like run a viewmode and cycle all movies?

A viewmode with each item a pixel (1920*1080 = 2,073,600 items, max is integernumitems), the script moves over each item, focus loads the fanart, sendclick opens item info, action(back), move on. XML maybe not possible as no maths functions...

edit: actually wouldnt need to enter item if all images are available for top viewmode, just draw all images at 1 pixel, might blow up kodi though or overheat .. :ph34r:

Hehe, obv. really simple for me to type here ;)

Edited by badaas

kolbasz

@@kolbasz i am experiencing the same as you and I'm on Windows :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not that it is good, but it is in the sense we arent alone...

• Like 1

kolbasz

@@kolbasz i am experiencing the same as you and I'm on Windows :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you run it, is emby server still actually available?

kolbasz

What do you see in the kodi log ? Seems something may be missing from sources.xml (from kodi forum)

kolbasz

@@Angelblue05 create the texturecache.cfg and set the number of threads to 1

Default is 2, I just did it with 1 and it runs perfect. Go figure...

You can also run single thread just for the emby url

texturecache.py c movies @singlethread.urls=+192\.168\.0\.146:8096/mediabrowser

Edited by kolbasz

marcelveldt

Hmm, I still do not understand why it is that people have issues with this. Is this related to very large libraries or something ?

I'm don't have any issues at all with missing artwork on any of my setups.

Does this issue only happen on the widgets or also in other sections ?

xnappo

It only happens with widgets and with things like the Aeon Nox fanart rotating on the home screen.  I think it is actually bugs in the widgets and rotator scripts that this works around.

smidley

Is there a way to add this script into the add-on?  Some option that says "Cache Artwork?"

• Like 1

xnappo

Not from what we know so far.  It is on our list to look into.

• Like 1

kolbasz

Is there a way to add this script into the add-on?  Some option that says "Cache Artwork?"

Not sure this would be possible since it is a kodi script, written by milhouse, so it is completely independent of emby.

we may be using it with emby to correct some things, but it exists for kodi by itself.  When I was troubleshooting the errors, it was milhouse on the kodi forum that suggested a single thread.  He also said he knows nothing about emby, so the two are completely independent of one another.

xnappo

Well whatever he is doing to add the image to the cache might be possible from the addon, but his code is very, very complex and I couldn't find that piece.

kolbasz

yeah, who knows, I guess if you do it like that it would work. 

I was thinking more that people wanted the scripts as is implemented into emby...but your way would make a lot more sense.

However, in the end what is the point, from a non-windows perspective, enable cron in kodi setting and add the scheduled task to scan nightly, weekly, minute-ly, whatever.  Seems simpler.

On windows, it wouldnt be much different, other than the call would be a scheduled task as opposed to cron job.

xnappo

It is a huge script to run for a simple problem.  It is a really good script to manage the db, but right now we are just using it to fix what seems like a Kodi bug in knowing to go external to get some images.

I suspect that with what we know about the Kodi database now we will eventually be able to fix this.

That said - yeah it is low priority since there is a work-around.

xnappo