Subtitle overlays with embedded subtitles

yardameus
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

yardameus

I was just curious if there was a way to make subtitles within an mkv appear as the type they are?  As in, I merged 21 & Over.mp4 and 21 & Over.eng.srt into an MKV, and it plays the files, but only recognizes that a subtitle is there, not that it is an english subtitle.  Probably the biggest reason this matters right now, is for the Cover Art sub overlay.  Just post question marks if everything I just said sounds like gibberish.  Thanks.

• Solution

Whatever you used to merge them in should have allowed you to specify their language.  Of course I don't use subs at all so that may be gibberish but we use ffprobe to discover them and there should be a language associated.

• Like 1

yardameus

Ok, sounds like I need to learn more about how I'm merging the files.  I'll look into it.  Thanks.

Apologies if this is basic and you've already tried it.

In MKVMergeGui, go to File... Header Editor. Open the file of interest. Explore the tree and you should find attributes including language. Set the language there.

There's probably a better way to do it on the front-end as you merge, but this should let you clean it up afterward if needed.

Marc

• Like 1

yardameus

Thanks for that...  I think I figured that out eventually.  I also worked backwards with Header Editor, and I think I figured it out when merging them.  Header editor was good to know either way.