Direct Stream Question

mswguitar
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

mswguitar

I noticed since the last server update, some of my files that used to direct stream are now transcoding. Anyone know why? Here is the media info on one that is transcoding:

5557acf50dd64_MediaInfo.jpg

The transcode log (attached) says "SupportsDirectStream":true and I had set my system up a while ago to encode videos in a format that would direct stream. Did the direct stream requirements change or am I missing something?

Thanks.

transcode-f092b846-43a2-4619-93ad-0cae75b2201b.txt

can you do a quick test and refresh that item in the metadata manager and see if the media info changes? thanks.

mswguitar

Did a refresh and it didn't change.

FWIW, the files that seem to transcode now are the ones that say "Anamorphic Yes". The "Anamorphic No" ones seem to direct play fine.

Waldonnis

I've noticed the same.  All of my anamorphic videos are now transcoding for some reason, although the same files were direct streaming in the past using the Roku and Android clients.  I even ripped one file twice (anamorphic and non) and the non-anamorphic version direct streamed while the anamorphic one was transcoded when playing.

i am putting up a dev server build that fixes the anamorphic detection on the server, at least for this video. please grab that and then do a manual refresh of the content.

mswguitar

I updated to dev build 3.0.5614.31298, went to metadata manger and refreshed but the Media info is the same, and it's still transcoding.

I updated to dev build 3.0.5614.31298, went to metadata manger and refreshed but the Media info is the same, and it's still transcoding.

Ah apologies. Go to the server's program data folder /cache, then delete the ffprobe-video folder. then repeat.

mswguitar

After deleting the ffprobe-video and refreshing the metadata, it updated the media info (Anamorphic is now "No") and now it direct streams, thanks!

Is there any way to update my entire library? I tried a normal library scan but it didn't update the media info.

you can use the metadata manager to refresh containing folders.

note that the end goal is correct detection of anamorphic. we don't want it to say no just so you can direct stream. some of the apps have filters against anamporhic content for their own reasons

mswguitar

Is this a new restriction for the Roku? It appears as my entire ripped DVD library is anamorphic. Does that mean anything with with anamorphic=yes will transcode? Because I don't recall it being like this in the past.

the app autodetects if the device can play it. i think most newer ones can

mswguitar

Ah, so it's the Roku App that requests it to transcode?

I enabled developer mode on my Roku so I could do some testing. I tried installing older versions of the app and it looks like direct streaming was working fine up through version 1.87. After that, it transcodes many videos that used to stream.  

OK in this case it's failing the anamorphic check. If the video is incorrectly detected as anamorphic try refreshing it since I've put that fix in

mswguitar

Here's the media info:

5558fc43c0282_MediaInfo2.jpg

This was ripped off the DVD, so I'm guessing the Anamorphic value is correct.

So I guess the questions is, why does that matter for transcoding? Version 1.87 direct streams the file, versions later than that transcode.

because not all rokus support anamorphic content so we've had to resolve issues the other way around where we were direct streaming content that we shouldn't be. so i guess we will need to look again at the determination of what the device supports. you might also want to make sure you're running the latest roku firmware.

mswguitar

Makes sense. I am running the latest firmware as far as I can tell (6.2). For now I'll use 1.87 on my Rokus.

Thanks for all of you help!

You could also research this a little to see if we should adjust the firmware version we're checking for. That way we can improve it and you can enjoy the latest version.

mswguitar

My initial research leads me to believe that firmware >= 6.x should support anamorphic, but I'm failrly new to video encoding and the Roku platform (I've been using it for less than a year). I AM a software developer and I would love to contribute to Emby (I LOVE this software) but I don't want to promise something that I can't deliver (my wife/kids consume a large amount of my free time =)

Since you appear to be the main contributor, I figured you probably know what changed with the Roku code since version 1.87 to force transcoding. If there's something specific you want me to research or can steer me in the right direction, I'll do my best to help out if I can.

Again, I do appreciate your help with this. I've tried Plex in that past and Emby blows it away, IMO. Since cutting the cord last year, it has become my family's most-used media software and the primary way we watch movies/tv.

• Solution

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/98

Appears the capabilities.brs was not respecting if the roku could play anamorphic videos or not and was applying the restriction that anamorphic support is always false. Rather rude, right? The playsAnamorphic global variable already exists which detects this, which made applying to capabilities easy. This should fix the problem.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2