Emby Theater

Luke

jordy

I set a TV Show as Favorite, but the only thing I can see is it appears on the Favorites page all by itself..!!! It may be taken into account if you play random episodes eg shuffle . or maybe it goes to the top of the next up list when new episodes are found. just guessing!

Edited by jordy

The purpose of favorites is that you mark something as a favorite and then it shows up in the favorites section.

AdrianW

The purpose of favorites is that you mark something as a favorite and then it shows up in the favorites section.

I use it to mark the movies I'm most interested in watching next. My wife uses it for the TV shows she's currently watching. Just makes them quicker to access.

Yea whatever your use for favorites is that's fine too. Some people just use it as a bookmarking system and that works too.

• Like 1

denz

Thank everyone

I have found favourites in movies it was next to movies clicked on few movies and they all appeared there I like that. But can't find anything like that in music and in recorded tv so am I blind and not looking at correct places.

Thank you  

Thank everyone

I have found favourites in movies it was next to movies clicked on few movies and they all appeared there I like that. But can't find anything like that in music and in recorded tv so am I blind and not looking at correct places.

Thank you  

Ultimately the app home screen will have a favorites section, just like the web app, and then at that point we will decide if we want favorites on both the home screen + sub sections, or just on the home screen.

denz

Thanks Luke,

I am blind since I didn't even notice it on the Web client. Oh well learned something new today.

ShoutingMan

I'm requesting a feature addition to Emby Theater: a way to change the vertical positioning of subtitles in Emby Theater.

I want to raise them up about one line height.

I'm comparing native playback of subtitled movies as discs in PowerDVD to MKV in Emby Theater. Emby theater positions the subtitles significantly lower in the screen than the disc playback does, about one full line lower. This worsens the overall experience. For a letterboxed movie like "Amelie", the subtitles fall across the letterbox boundary in Emby while they're within the movie frame natively. And in all cases (also seen in a 1.85 movie like "Kiki's Delivery Service") the subtitles are too close to the bottom of the screen, farther from the natural viewing location, making it a bit harder to read and watch simultaneously.

Expanding on my subtitle feature request:

1) Even if subtitle positioning isn't made flexible, it should be raised up about one line height. Emby Theater's positioning is consistently lower than native Blu-ray playback for foreign-language films with English subtitles. (I assume this holds for all languages.)

2) New request: Emby honor "Default track" flag and/or "Forced Track" flag to play a default subtitle track. On a foreign language film, I have to manually go into the CC setting to turn on the subtitle track the first time. This is a minor detail. But since I can set the Default flag in the MKV before adding to my library, it would be nice to have the default track be turned on my default within Emby :)

Thanks for the consideration. I expect these are niche requests compared to the broad-audience work of improving TV / DVR features or supporting multi-platform streaming. But I think these would be a nice benefit for movie enthusiasts who use ET as the front end for a home theater.

hi @@ShoutingMan, the best thing to do is open up separate topics in the feature request section which is a dedicated place where users can vote for them.

After opening your new topic, if you would like to mention and link to them from here, that is fine since a lot of people follow this topic. Thanks !

• Like 1

FrostByte

2) New request: Emby honor "Default track" flag and/or "Forced Track" flag to play a default subtitle track. On a foreign language film, I have to manually go into the CC setting to turn on the subtitle track the first time. This is a minor detail. But since I can set the Default flag in the MKV before adding to my library, it would be nice to have the default track be turned on my default within Emby :)

Not sure I understand, but mine always plays the forced subtitles without intervention.  My server settings are English and "Only forced subtitles"

Edited by FrostByte

Guest asrequested

Not sure I understand, but mine always plays the forced subtitles without intervention.  My server settings are English and "Only forced subtitles"

But the forced subs need to be correctly attributed in the container, or Emby won't see them correctly.

58bc76a93e7b9_Snapshot_505.jpg

58bc76c90a39f_Snapshot_506.jpg

Updates are rolling out and you'll soon be able to use MB2-style alpha-numeric shortcuts. Enjoy.

58bc7a2266d4f_Untitled.png

• Like 1

FrostByte

But the forced subs need to be correctly attributed in the container, or Emby won't see them correctly.

True, but he said he was already doing that and it wasn't honoring them.  Or, at least that's what I thought he said :)

Edited by FrostByte

muppets4

Another question concerning subtitles. Is it possible to set a second language? I've set Dutch as my main subtitle language. But half of the time there isn't a dutch srt available. Emby Server downloads Dutch and English. When the client does not find the Dutch subs, it does not play the only srt Server downloaded (English). Is there a setting I've missed?

Edited by muppets4

Try the different subtitle modes. perhaps you want always display subtitles, so that it always picks something.

ShoutingMan

Yes, I did that. In "Pan's Labyrinth", a Spanish language film, I set the English subtitles as Default and Forced using MKVToolnix.

I have Emby Theater set to "Smart" for subtitles, and it doesn't turn on the default or forced automatically. I tested this with Pan's Labyrinth, and I had to manually select the English subtitle track to play. (I didn't have a Preferred Language set.)

Do I need to have ET set for "Default" instead of "Smart"? If so, what is "Smart" for since...well...it doesn't seem to be...

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

hi @@ShoutingMan, the best thing to do is open up separate topics in the feature request section which is a dedicated place where users can vote for them.

After opening your new topic, if you would like to mention and link to them from here, that is fine since a lot of people follow this topic. Thanks !

Sorry about that. I was unaware of that sub-forum :)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45555-increase-height-of-subtitles-or-user-feature-to-change-position/

FrostByte

Yes, I did that. In "Pan's Labyrinth", a Spanish language film, I set the English subtitles as Default and Forced using MKVToolnix.

I have Emby Theater set to "Smart" for subtitles, and it doesn't turn on the default or forced automatically. I tested this with Pan's Labyrinth, and I had to manually select the English subtitle track to play. (I didn't have a Preferred Language set.)

Do I need to have ET set for "Default" instead of "Smart"? If so, what is "Smart" for since...well...it doesn't seem to be...

In the webclient on the server my settings are.  These carry over to all clients that I'm aware of

User Settings

Playback

Audio pref language: blank

play default audio track is checked

Subtitle Settings

Language is English

Mode is Only forced subtitles

With the above the default audio file always plays (no matter language) and with the subtitle options set as above I always get the forced non-English part subtitles (with Pan's Labyrinth that would be the whole movie of course) to play automatically.  Assuming the internal or external subs are marked correctly of course

ShoutingMan

In the webclient on the server my settings are.  These carry over to all clients that I'm aware of

User Settings

Playback

Audio pref language: blank

play default audio track is checked

Subtitle Settings

Language is English

Mode is Only forced subtitles

With the above the default audio file always plays (no matter language) and with the subtitle options set as above I always get the forced non-English part subtitles (with Pan's Labyrinth that would be the whole movie of course) to play automatically.  Assuming the internal or external subs are marked correctly of course

Server I also had

Subtitle Settings...

Language: <blank>

Subtitle Mode: Smart

I will try Default. I don't necessarily want "Forced Only", since that would seem to preclude turning on non-forced subs if I miss some words (or if the nieces are over and I want to try the Sing-Along track of a Disney movie :) )

In any case, thanks for the pointers. I can play options a bit more.

(Anyone know what "Smart" mode does for subtitles?)

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Forced Subtitles are for languages that are different than the default language of the video. So it would display French in an English language movie. Or elvish, dwarfism, alien, etc... It will not display English subtitles for the main audio track in a Spanish movie.

If you want smart subtitles to work, then you need to set the langauge for them. In this case, you would set the language in Emby to English. Then when the audio is flagged as something other than English and there are English subtitles the subtitles will display. At least that is the concept as far as I am aware.

I always have subtitles on. So I don't know if Smart works as it should.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's an update currently rolling out to the Windows Store and the app will now direct play your mpeg2 video recordings on Xbox One. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

For those using the Windows Store app, I would recommend installing the Microsoft mpeg2 extension:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9n95q1zzpmh4

This will allow the app to decode mpeg2 in-app without having to rely on server transcoding. Once this is installed, the Emby Windows Store app will automatically take advantage of it.

Enjoy !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the coming weeks, the desktop app will be getting a brand new video player that features dramatically improved performance than what you are currently accustomed to. Everything from playback start time, to seeking and skipping performance, to 4K support will be significantly improved. If you would like to participate in trying it out and leaving your feedback, you can do so here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/

Thanks !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2.6 is headed up and includes the new video player. You will need to reconfigure your audio and video settings. Enjoy the new performance :)