Emby Theater

Luke

what has diverged? i don't want to be the weird alternative. if everyone else is doing it differently than we should consider that.

Shaun

what has diverged? i don't want to be the weird alternative. if everyone else is doing it differently than we should consider that.

The way we map NextTrack and FFWD keys are different from XBMC. Its a little complex and they map 3 keys for nav while we only have 2. I'll post the default XBMC map as well and then all we be clear (or very murky, depending on your point of view).

Also, the way various remotes convert their button presses to Windows AppCommands or KeyCodes cause lots of confusion.

foghat

well not only enough people, but also enough screen real estate. i suppose maybe in a popup menu. but really even without quick play we're talking one or two button presses to skip over the intros.

Could be a lot more than two button presses.  You may have a 'trailer intro', then a couple of trailers, then an audio intro, then movie intro, ratings movie, etc.  Having to manually skip is a bit of a 'hack' imo.

If wanted I can

1. Add a quickplay command that will only play the last item in the playlist.

2. Imap it to an obscure key code (CTRL-P is already mapped to play) 

3. Users with programmable remotes can map the keycode

2. When I add command mapping via external xml file, anyone can map it to whatever they please

If there is enough demand, I'll add an enhancement request to our issues list and get around to it sometime in the future

Later on it can be added to a context menu when we implement context menus

BUT

We are in the process of implementing NextTrack for MBT, when it is available (soon) why not just map nexttrack instead and hit play then nexttack to skip the intros or better still, just turn off intros

I'd have to check mbintros again, but I think you can set something to play after the movie - so skipping to the last track may not be the solution.  I am pretty sure there are skins for mbc that have a 'play now' option.  How are these working?

As I noted above, skipping tracks is a bit of a goofy workaround.  Plus, doing so would mark a skipped trailer as watched, no?  Definitely don't want that happening.

Turning mbintros on and off is way too inconvenient and not something you'd think of before watching a movie. There are simply times when you don't want to have the 'full cinema experience' and just want the movie to play. 

I am surprised this is sounding like such an 'effort'. 

If there is not enough real estate next to the play button for a 'mbintros' button (which it seems there should be), is it possible to just do something similar to the resume functionality - where upon pressing play a modal pops up presenting you with your choices: Play, Play using MBIntros, Resume from xxx

Edited by foghat

JDizzy

Press Play to go straight into movie (or Resume if flagged)

Press Select to run through Intros, then movie (no Resume available)

If you do have something configured to play after movie

Press Stop after movie

space2001

Don't know if this is a bug as I reproduced it.  

I ad the screensaver on for a while. then when I went to go play a movie it said there was a error processing the request.  It seems all of a sudden I lost audio.  the only fix was to restart my machine.

Never had this happen before.

If it happens again I will post the log.

Shaun

Don't know if this is a bug as I reproduced it.  

I ad the screensaver on for a while. then when I went to go play a movie it said there was a error processing the request.  It seems all of a sudden I lost audio.  the only fix was to restart my machine.

Never had this happen before.

If it happens again I will post the log.

I'm very interested in this one. If it happens again please let me know

shaun

Shaun

Views and Sort order

Chris is going to do the implementation. I think what we are planning is

1. Global options for default view and sort order. (Defaults to Poster Strip & Alphabetical)

2. The ability to change the view and sort order for a particular page (category) until the page is closed

3. The ability to permanently  save #2 for a a particular page (category)

We might implement it in a number of steps as the ui for sort is a pretty big job.

For those of you who are interested, Chris has implemented new view and sort order preference functionality in the current alpha - you have to have 'dev' update functionality to see it. 

See issue  #165 View and Sort Order saving and defaults  - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Theater/issues/165

it works as follows

1. Always remember the selected view on every page category
  2. Have a single setting in the sort options: "Remember sort order"
  3. If the setting is checked then ever page type remembers the sort order when changed, otherwise it returns to alphabetical

Chris, please correct me if I am wrong. 

Edited by Shaun

Koleckai Silvestri

For those of you who are interested, Chris has implemented new view and sort order preference functionality in the current alpha - you have to have 'dev' update functionality to see it.

See issue  #165 View and Sort Order saving and defaults  - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Theater/issues/165

it works as follows

1. Always remember the selected view on every page category
  2. Have a single setting in the sort options: "Remember sort order"
  3. If the setting is checked then ever page type remembers the sort order when changed, otherwise it returns to alphabetical

Chris, please correct me if I am wrong. 

What version is this? I am running 3.0.5233.39319. Updated today and it doesn't behave like this at all.

1) I go to Movies -> Trailers and set the sort order to Date Added, Descending. Option to remember is set. Nothing happens. The trailers are still ordered by name ascending.

2) After making the changes above, I go to Movies and it is sorted by Date Added, Descending when it should be sorted Name, Ascending. Have to change it back.

3) Go to Movies -> Trailers and the settings for sort now are the same as number 2. Set them to Release Date, Descending. Nothing happens, they are still sorted by Name Ascending.

4) Movies are now sorted by Release Date, Descending though.

Plus everytime I enter the Settings pages, I get two dozen error popups stating "There was an error processing the request." I actually have to sit for about 10 seconds while they all load and then click them all off. Seems to be this error:

2014-05-01 16:17:27.8885 Error - ConfigurationManager: Error in event handler
The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\config\a6173c7828522d215ff32571abd54f2b.xml' because it is being used by another process.
System.IO.IOException
  at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
  at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Serialization.XmlSerializer.DeserializeFromFile(Type type, String file)
  at MediaBrowser.Theater.Implementations.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetUserTheaterConfiguration(String userId)
  at MediaBrowser.Plugins.DefaultTheme.DefaultThemePageContentViewModel.UpdateUserConfiguredValues()
  at MediaBrowser.Plugins.DefaultTheme.DefaultThemePageContentViewModel._config_UserConfigurationUpdated(Object sender, UserConfigurationUpdatedEventArgs e)
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Events.EventHelper.FireEventIfNotNull[T](EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender, T args, ILogger logger)

Koleckai Silvestri

Plus I realize that Theater is intended to be used with a Remote and not a keyboard and mouse. However can we please get an option to require a "Click:" to change tabs on the top? Talking about Movies, TV, Apps, Games, Folders. It would make the interface a lot more user friendly for the mouse and keyboard crowd. As an option, it wouldn't interfere with remote usage either.

So with the option selected, 1 click makes the tab active. This shows the tiles, latest, next up, resume, etc... 

If the tab is selected and another click is provided, then it enters like it does now on hover.

Shaun

What version is this? I am running 3.0.5233.39319. Updated today and it doesn't behave like this at all.

1) I go to Movies -> Trailers and set the sort order to Date Added, Descending. Option to remember is set. Nothing happens. The trailers are still ordered by name ascending.

2) After making the changes above, I go to Movies and it is sorted by Date Added, Descending when it should be sorted Name, Ascending. Have to change it back.

3) Go to Movies -> Trailers and the settings for sort now are the same as number 2. Set them to Release Date, Descending. Nothing happens, they are still sorted by Name Ascending.

4) Movies are now sorted by Release Date, Descending though.

All the tabs  on movies are just difference items in the same view. So Movies & Trailers are the same . Any view change to movies should affect trailers and visa versa and also for sort,

If you want to test across different options, use a movie view - say all movies and a tv view- say all shows. Can you try again and say if you thing they are working right.

No idea of the bugs, I'm not sure they are related to the view and sort order issues. I'll have a look if I get a chance

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

All the tabs  on movies are just difference items in the same view. So Movies & Trailers are the same . Any view change to movies should affect trailers and visa versa and also for sort,

If you want to test across different options, use a movie view - say all movies and a tv view- say all shows

No idea of the bugs, I'll have a look tonight

Oh.. that doesn't fit my needs at all. Nor is it what I expected. I had hope you would do it per page. Might as well just use the web client because it sorts them both properly. 

Without being able to sort trailers differently than movies, it kind of makes the Trailer plugin worthless. Only reason I have it installed was in anticipation of this change.

Shaun

Oh.. that doesn't fit my needs at all. Nor is it what I expected. I had hope you would do it per page. Might as well just use the web client because it sorts them both properly. 

Without being able to sort trailers differently than movies, it kind of makes the Trailer plugin worthless. Only reason I have it installed was in anticipation of this change.

I'm  sure Chris and the other devs who tried to come up with a solution that would meet the majority of people needs, have a warm feeling for your deeping expressed gratitude for all their work.

Lets try and separate the the issues

1. How save and sort work  - are you happy with this ? how should it be different ?

2. The issues of all the movies views sharing the save sort order preference - we are working on a new internal structure for MBT that should solve this problem eventually, it will be a while though

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 2

Shaun

the play button on your remote should do that. if it doesn't, that's the intention so it eventually will.

Luke

What's the functionality, I'm note sure I understand  ?

Play Command (via remote etc) goes to the last item

Select of the Play button plays all itms

Koleckai Silvestri

I'm  sure Chris and the other devs who tried to come up with a solution that would meet the majority of people needs, have a warm feeling for your deeping expressed gratitude for all their work.

Lets try and separate the the issues

1. How save and sort work  - are you happy with this ? how should it be different ?

2. The issues of all the movies views sharing the save sort order preference - we are working on a new internal structure for MBT that should solve this problem eventually, it will be a while though

1) How the sorts are added is proper and easy enough. Don't really notice much difference.

2) This would be preferred so hopefully it comes to fruition. Would suit everyone's needs. Those who want an all in one, set and leave it approach and those like me who want to fine tune things.

cheshire

1) How the sorts are added is proper and easy enough. Don't really notice much difference.

2) This would be preferred so hopefully it comes to fruition. Would suit everyone's needs. Those who want an all in one, set and leave it approach and those like me who want to fine tune things.

You do have to understand there are a lot of people weighing in on this so it wont always suite everyone's taste. Also, in terms of getting this product alpha its a very small issue now the actual bugs in the display preferences are gone, we are working on a lot of areas in MBT at the moment and trying to merge in some very large architectural changes so bear with us, we do have real jobs as well!

Koleckai Silvestri

You do have to understand there are a lot of people weighing in on this so it wont always suite everyone's taste. Also, in terms of getting this product alpha its a very small issue now the actual bugs in the display preferences are gone, we are working on a lot of areas in MBT at the moment and trying to merge in some very large architectural changes so bear with us, we do have real jobs as well!

I understand that. It was just disappointing because I was assured the sorting changes would fit my needs earlier in this thread but the actual implementation completely disregarded those needs.

As I said, the web client supports this and other sophisticated sorts so it will probably become my client of choice on the Desktop PC. Which is unfortunate because I think an entire growing market is being ignored here.

Not to worry Wayne. I think it will ultimately be more like the web client.

zekec

Thank you devs for this feature update.

I was experiencing the original issue where the View selection was not saved after exiting a screen;

but this update has fixed things for me.

@
On the separate issue of navigating then clicking to select, it really depends if you are free-mousing or keyboard arrowing around the display.

I'm only free-mousing around the menus when configuring things at the HTPC console, and yes it is very jumpy...

but in the production viewing environment, my remote is relaying keyboard arrow controls to navigate, so it's much more guided and better behaved.

There would seem to be a case for both methods depending on input method.

space2001

Great job guys.

Just did a quick hack to the default theme again.

I made the poster wall to 3 columns and made it scroll Horizontally. This way I can use Page up Page down on my remote.

Only thing I ran into which I have to figure out is when I changed the Scrolldirection.horizontal to Veritcal. It added more padding at the top.  Going to have to see where I can fix this.

njoak

Speaking of sorting; I can't change sorting for trailers. I.e. changing "Sort by" or "Sort Order" does nothing for the order in which the trailers are listed. Is this known already?

Edit: clarified what I meant.

Edited by njoak

shaefurr

Speaking of sorting; I can't change sorting for trailers. I.e. changing "Sort by" or "Sort Order" does nothing for the order in which the trailers are listed. Is this known already?

Edit: clarified what I meant.

I think it goes for anything in the "Folders" area, nothing there is sortable. Which sucks since I cant sort my music videos.

• Like 1

njoak

I think it goes for anything in the "Folders" area, nothing there is sortable. Which sucks since I cant sort my music videos.

Okie doke. The problem exists when accessing trailers from the Movies view as well, but I guess it is just a kind of shortcut to the Trailers folder.

Koleckai Silvestri

Some feedback from my son who was evaluating MBT over the weekend as a potential replacement to Windows Media Center and XBMC used to view everything. The setup he is looking to possibly replace is 6-8 HTPC devices, including some Raspberry Pi's using XBMC with MySQL as the shared library system. The main HTPC controls access to the media which is current just a bunch of disks attached to the machine.

1) No paging through content with a remote. Channel Up and Channel Down on the remote should page the content. Just like in Windows Media Center and XBMC. He said he saw a comment on here that it wasn't possible because the Roku doesn't have those buttons. Which is correct. However the Roku app for Media Browser currently has paging. When viewing content fast forward and reverse will page the content.

2) No jump lists. #, A - Z lists that when you select an option you get the content starting with that letter. Many of the other Media Browser Clients offer this. It is a missing feature in XBMC that is sorely needed.

3) Too many clicks with a remote to get to content. Highlight TV, select... go through all your 130 series to get to one at the end. Select episodes. Select season. Find the episode and finally after 5-10 minutes of clicking, you can watch a show.

4) No Live TV. Yeah, I know it is coming but it has been three months now. He says the implementation in the Web Client is great and better than the XBMC implementation though. He is using ServerWMC.

5) Lack of "Views" similar to XBMC... Poster, Grid, Fan Wall, Coverart, etc...

6) You need an easy way to log into a hidden user from the login page.

The navigation, jump lists and paging are something that should be evaluated during the re-architecture.

cheshire

Some feedback from my son who was evaluating MBT over the weekend as a potential replacement to Windows Media Center and XBMC used to view everything. The setup he is looking to possibly replace is 6-8 HTPC devices, including some Raspberry Pi's using XBMC with MySQL as the shared library system. The main HTPC controls access to the media which is current just a bunch of disks attached to the machine.

1) No paging through content with a remote. Channel Up and Channel Down on the remote should page the content. Just like in Windows Media Center and XBMC. He said he saw a comment on here that it wasn't possible because the Roku doesn't have those buttons. Which is correct. However the Roku app for Media Browser currently has paging. When viewing content fast forward and reverse will page the content.

2) No jump lists. #, A - Z lists that when you select an option you get the content starting with that letter. Many of the other Media Browser Clients offer this. It is a missing feature in XBMC that is sorely needed.

3) Too many clicks with a remote to get to content. Highlight TV, select... go through all your 130 series to get to one at the end. Select episodes. Select season. Find the episode and finally after 5-10 minutes of clicking, you can watch a show.

4) No Live TV. Yeah, I know it is coming but it has been three months now. He says the implementation in the Web Client is great and better than the XBMC implementation though. He is using ServerWMC.

5) Lack of "Views" similar to XBMC... Poster, Grid, Fan Wall, Coverart, etc...

6) You need an easy way to log into a hidden user from the login page.

The navigation, jump lists and paging are something that should be evaluated during the re-architecture.

Navigation is one of the focuses for the re-structuring so there will be more improvements around this. " No Live TV. Yeah, I know it is coming but it has been three months now. " Like i said before, we are working hard to get MBT feature complete, you must be patient. 

• Like 1

steelman1991

@Wayne don't want to take this too much off topic - but XBMC has 'jump' facility - search there for "jumpSMS"