Emby Theater

Luke

arrbee99

I guess there's a really obvious answer for this, but in desktop ET, display set to auto, how do I get to more 'Cast & Crew' and 'Scenes' and more chapters - there's a single row of each (unlike for 'More Like This'), the 'Cast & Crew' and 'Scenes' titles aren't clickable and there are no left or right arrows appearing.

arrbee99

Dun't work - microscopic text (microscopic everything actually).

Edit -

5bc95af5e60be_ETDesktopvsAuto.jpg

vs

5bc95b1fd37f3_ETDesktopvsAuto1.jpg

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

I am and you responded by saying try a different display setting to which I (basically) said not really practical cause everything is too small (though it does make the arrows appear).

daedalus

yeah this whole theme thing is at some points not really thought to the end and its still missing a hell of long promised customizing options

and while we're on the subject of "cast" @@Luke could we get the shortened names/roles revealed on selected, in the webclient maybe the hovered, items to avoid things like this

post-143-0-98792000-1539926756_thumb.png

for the name i can open the people details page, but neither ET nor the webclient allows to read the shortened "role" values which is kind a annoying

arrbee99

Try restarting the app, it will then use the vertical home screen.

It does and it seems to help but I really don't like vertical ET and hopefully the arrows will return to the horizontal version.

• Like 1

daedalus

deleting a file on another device brings up an eternal spinning circle on ET

procedure:

play something on ET

delete some file on another device

see a spinning circle that wont go away, unless you restart  ET or enter the settings page

Guest asrequested

I've been seeing a spinning circle sometimes, then have to restart the app. That may account for it. I'm often messing on the server and with my files, with Theater open.

deleting a file on another device brings up an eternal spinning circle on ET

procedure:

play something on ET

delete some file on another device

see a spinning circle that wont go away, unless you restart  ET or enter the settings page

You mean during playback?

daedalus

I've been seeing a spinning circle sometimes, then have to restart the app.

as said entering settings screen "fixxes" this again

Guest asrequested

I've had it happen on the home screen. Just last night, actually. I left it on the home screen, did some other stuff, came back, and there it was.

Diedrich

MaximumPC magazine just did an article in their November issue called “Perfect Video Playback” and it directly talked about MadVR and MPV

1) are both of these technologies available in the stable desktop program or do I need to be running the beta portable?

2) Can we tweak the program settings of the aforementioned software? Or, should we have them directly installed on Windows?

3) Do we need any codec packs installed (K-lite pack with LAV filters)?

4) Is DXVA2 available for hardware acceleration as the article mentions it is preferred?

Sorry if these are questions that answered by looking at the ET settings, I’m away from home and my computer became unresponsive a few days ago.

Guest asrequested

Mpv is the player that Theater, uses. It's built on ffmpeg. It has a wide range of functionality. If you want to use dxva2, you can use it as copyback by selecting auto copyback in the settings. That is the decoding option most recommended.

MadVR is a renderer, not a player. It has to be used in conjunction with a player that will support it. Most use MPC-HC or MPC-BE. They have LAV included. Then to use that in Theater, you can use it as an external player.

Edited by Doofus

Diedrich

Mpv is the player that Theater, uses. It's built on ffmpeg. It has a wide range of functionality. If you want to use dxva2, you can use it as copyback by selecting auto copyback in the settings. That is the decoding option most recommended.

MadVR is a renderer, not a player. It has to used in conjunction with a player that will support it. Most use MPC-HC or MPC-BE. They have LAV included. Then to use that in Theater, you can use it as an external player.

Some good info there! Thanks!

So what would net the highest quality video playback, Auto copy-back or setting MPC-(HC/BE) as the external player? Currently I only have a 1080p plasma but hope to upgrade to a good quality 4K TV sometime in 2019. I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX1050Ti.

Guest asrequested

Some good info there! Thanks!

So what would net the highest quality video playback, Auto copy-back or setting MPC-(HC/BE) as the external player? Currently I only have a 1080p plasma but hope to upgrade to a good quality 4K TV sometime in 2019. I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX1050Ti.

For non HDR stuff, just stick with mpv. You really won't see much (if any) difference between them. For HDR, there's a debate. The puritans prefer HDR metadata passthrough. But as you haven't gotten that far, for now that's moot. mpv can be augmented in a plethora of ways. My suggestion would be to try it, and see what you like or don't like. At that point, you can then experiment with different settings. And I can help you, if you want.

• Like 1

AdrianW

And, talking about seasonal themes, can these be switched off for the initial login screen? I already have them switched off for each user.

As they are a per user setting, not at this time. Something to think about for the next holiday.

• 1 year later...

Theater now has the virtual scrolling feature for vertical lists:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/82293-44012-virtual-scrolling/

That means the lists will no longer load your entire library contents all at once and will instead only load what you see at once. This will help make the entire app more responsive and improve navigation performance.